News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Big Changes Ahead in Syria

Started by Savonarola, March 24, 2011, 12:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

CNN showed footage of "a couple hundred" protesters in Damascus.

KRonn

It does seem somewhat ironic, that the govts of some of these Mid East nations that, not too long ago, enjoyed trumpeting the "evil" West, or the Great/little Satan, and all that bs rhetoric as the problem, are instead finding themselves to be the objects of scorn, and actual rebellion, by their own people who have finally risen up to proclaim the Dictators have no clothes!   

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 06:42:09 PM
Why even bother though? It's obviously just words, and the regime's opponents will recognize this and continue the protest.

We know this, but I'm not sure the Assad regime realizes it.  They could be so out of touch they think think it will quell the unrest.  They may have even convinced themselves that this was actually a big concession.  Authoritarian regimes are often weird, prideful, and out of touch with reality.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on March 25, 2011, 07:17:23 AM
They got jew-jitsued

And which country of the two is under siege and almost universally hated?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2011, 07:16:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2011, 06:54:24 AM
Syria's significantly stronger than Libya is though isn't it? That makes a difference.
:hmm: How did Syria do the last time it was in an all-out military conflict?

I'm with Tim on this.  Syria has a larger and *unified* military.  I don't think they have any big fears of foreign intervention at this point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2011, 07:16:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2011, 06:54:24 AM
Syria's significantly stronger than Libya is though isn't it? That makes a difference.
:hmm: How did Syria do the last time it was in an all-out military conflict?

I'm with Tim on this.  Syria has a larger and *unified* military.  I don't think they have any big fears of foreign intervention at this point.
Agreed. Intervention in Syria would be a huge political as well as military affair.

MadImmortalMan

Time to expand the no-fly zone from Casablanca to Karachi.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

That's good idea. It'll cut down on our problems a whole lot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 01:01:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 06:42:09 PM
Why even bother though? It's obviously just words, and the regime's opponents will recognize this and continue the protest.

We know this, but I'm not sure the Assad regime realizes it.  They could be so out of touch they think think it will quell the unrest.  They may have even convinced themselves that this was actually a big concession.  Authoritarian regimes are often weird, prideful, and out of touch with reality.

My impression was that the dad was a pretty smart operator.  Don't know about the son, or even really how much the son is truly in charge as opposed to being a puppet for someone else.

MadImmortalMan

Reports that groups of snipers in Deraa wearing all-black and killing protesters have been mobbed and captured by the crowd. Turns out they only speak...Farsi.  :ph34r:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2011, 04:56:30 PM
Reports that groups of snipers in Deraa wearing all-black and killing protesters have been mobbed and captured by the crowd. Turns out they only speak...Farsi.  :ph34r:

Mossad agent provocateurs, obviously.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Didn't Languish conclude that Bashar gets a pass due to having a HOTT wife?  Or was that thread lost?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 25, 2011, 05:20:19 PM
Didn't Languish conclude that Bashar gets a pass due to having a HOTT wife?  Or was that thread lost?

Same with Queen Raina of Jordan.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on March 25, 2011, 04:21:41 PM
My impression was that the dad was a pretty smart operator.  Don't know about the son, or even really how much the son is truly in charge as opposed to being a puppet for someone else.

Good point.  I get the feeling that Bashar was pulled into his role and didn't really seek it out.