Seeking book recommendations : The Stuarts in England

Started by garbon, April 13, 2009, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Just wait for the HBO series once they have done Henry VII and Bloody Mary with the Tudor's
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2009, 03:48:56 PM
Just wait for the HBO series once they have done Henry VII and Bloody Mary with the Tudor's

<_<

Here's what I have currently:

QuoteRichard Cust Charles I: A Political Life
Christopher Hibbert Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason
Maureen Waller Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
Leanda de Lisle After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England
J.P. Kenyon Stuart England
Frank McLynn The Jacobites

I kinda want this :lol: :
http://www.amazon.com/Jacobites-Scothe-Books-Childrens-Activity-Book/dp/0114952507
"The Jacobites (Scothe Books-Children's Activity Book Series)"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

/Do any good biographies of James I exist? I know so little of this famous homosexual. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habsburg

English history makes Habsy  :zzz very sleepy.

I am presently reading Gold and Iron: Bismarck, Bleichroeder & the Building of the German Empire, by Fritz Stern.  It is super yum-yum. :mmm:

garbon

garbon

You deleted the post, Valms, but I think it falls under the one drop rule...although in this case, the one drop doesn't refer to blood. :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2009, 04:49:32 PM
You deleted the post, Valms, but I think it falls under the one drop rule...although in this case, the one drop doesn't refer to blood. :ph34r:

I decided not to open up that particular can of worms :P

But understood -_-

I was saying that you can consider James a Homo only if you only give credence to his male affairs and completely ignore his female ones and his wife.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habsburg

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2009, 04:46:56 PM
Thanks for not helping. :P

Well the Stuarts are such a vile, brutish, disgusting clan. 
Poor Marie d'Guise having to wed one.  :cry:

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on April 13, 2009, 05:28:37 PM

The Guise. :x

Habsburg

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2009, 05:34:29 PM
Quote from: Habsburg on April 13, 2009, 05:28:37 PM

The Guise. :x

Teh Guise >>>>>>>>>> Stuarts
  :bleeding:

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on April 13, 2009, 06:20:03 PM

Puhleeze. The very existence of Mary Stuart gives the lie to that statement. Mary, what a wonderful dramatic. :wub:

All the Guise managed to do was fuck over France when she was already suffering under the Valois. <_<

Habsburg

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2009, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: Habsburg on April 13, 2009, 06:20:03 PM

Puhleeze. The very existence of Mary Stuart gives the lie to that statement. Mary, what a wonderful dramatic. :wub:

All the Guise managed to do was ---- over France when she was already suffering under the Valois. <_<

You don't think that unstable, simple minded Mary Stuart is like, neat-o, do you?  :bleeding:

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on April 13, 2009, 06:41:51 PM
You don't think that unstable, simple minded Mary Stuart is like, neat-o, do you?  :bleeding:

Of course I do. I don't think Hollywood could dream up such a dramatic and flawed character. It wouldn't seem plausible. ^_^

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 04:55:12 PMI was saying that you can consider James a Homo only if you only give credence to his male affairs and completely ignore his female ones and his wife.
Well, there's also the direct secret passage between Villiers bedroom and James's in James's favourite country houses.  Indeed that house was expanded because James gave an order unique, in English history, that it's owner 'expand it for the more commodious enjoyment of the King'.  The passage between their chambers was added during that expansion.

Also James's rumours are very old .  He was called Queen James, there was 17th century verse, contemporary to James, about him fucking Villiers and the first historical accusation came from Jeremy Bentham in the late 18th century.

But it's wrong to talk of gays when you're talking about pre 20th century figures because they didn't exist.  But, as far as sodomites go, James I is one of the more likely candidates.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The Stuart Age by a chap called Barry Coward is a very good read for the period 1603-1714. Apart from anything else Coward details the areas of controversy and the different schools of thought on these matters, the bibliography is also very good, enabling you to put together a very good reading list for your deeper investigations.

There is no first-rate biography of James I that I'm aware of  :(

I spent a while looking for one a while back and got absolutely nowhere.