Seeking book recommendations : The Stuarts in England

Started by garbon, April 13, 2009, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

After a long and protracted love affair with the Tudors, I'm finally advancing in history and have stopped in midst of the Stuarts.  I've a few books on Charles I, and was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations on any of the following: James I, Charles II, James II, Glorious Revolution-Jacobitism, and then of course, the English Civil War.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I dunno off the top of my head, but with respect to the Civil War, when I get home I can post the biblography/suggested reading list for Unhappy King Charles! by GMT.  :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2009, 11:53:11 AM
with respect to the Civil War, when I get home I can post the biblography/suggested reading list for Unhappy King Charles! by GMT.  :bowler:

You fail at the Internet.

Quote from: Bibliography for Unhappy King CharlesThe King's War: C.V. Wedgwood.
All The King's Armies: Stuart Reid
Leaders of The English Civil War: Toynbee and Ridsdill-Smith
1066 and all that: Sellars and Yeatman
Atlas of the Civil War: P.R. Newman
The Irish and British Wars 1637-1654: James Scott Wheeler
The Civil Wars of England: John Kenyon
The Royalist War Effort 1642-1646: Ronald Hutton

Caliga

It's more authentic if I type it in from an actual paper copy I have at home.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Thanks.  I'm currently reading Kenyon's Stuart England which is a nice overview but by its nature and purpose, skimps on detail.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I'd fail at my mild scotophilia if I didn't point out that the Stuarts had a long history well prior to James I / VI. :scots:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2009, 12:11:27 PM
I'd fail at my mild scotophilia if I didn't point out that the Stuarts had a long history well prior to James I / VI. :scots:

I should have put in the addendum that I don't care about that (well anything pre-Mary Stuart).

edit: Fixed title.  Also, I doubt I'll be buying any of those recommended books as they all look on the expensive side...

Valmy

The Stuarts are, without a doubt, the most miserable failures as Kings of England post-1066.  They are incredibly fascinating though.  The whole history of the English Monarchy from the ascension of Henry IV in 1399 until the Glorious Revolution of 1688 is high drama and endlessly entertaining.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Prior to becoming married to England Scotland was an unimportant backwater.  Something about being joined to England suddenly turned the Scots into geniuses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2009, 12:16:06 PM

I should have put in the addendum that I don't care about that (well anything pre-Mary Stuart).

edit: Fixed title.  Also, I doubt I'll be buying any of those recommended books as they all look on the expensive side...

Mary Stuart: revenge through breeding.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:17:47 PM

Prior to becoming married to England Scotland was an unimportant backwater.  Something about being joined to England suddenly turned the Scots into geniuses.

I may be a mild scotophile (man thats awfully close to something else I don't want to be associated with), I am a huge anglophile so I won't doubt that England + Scotland are two great tastes that taste great together.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2009, 12:21:29 PMI may be a mild scotophile (man thats awfully close to something else I don't want to be associated with), I am a huge anglophile so I won't doubt that England + Scotland are two great tastes that taste great together.  :)

It truly was a remarkable partnership.  I have no idea why it worked so well considering how much the Scots and English had disliked each other for so long prior to the Union.  Heck even the Union itself was based on England taking advantage of Scottish poverty and misfortune.

I certainly have no idea why a series of intellectual giants seem to have been present in Scotland shortly thereafter.

garbon

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2009, 12:25:54 PM
I have no idea why it worked so well considering how much the Scots and English had disliked each other for so long prior to the Union.  Heck even the Union itself was based on England taking advantage of Scottish poverty and misfortune.

Scotland: We fail at colonization.  :scots:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers