Utah Legislature goes for gold, silver as currency options

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2011, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2011, 08:38:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2011, 09:36:47 PM
make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts;
so they have the right to use silver and gold.  Weird.

thanks Tim :)

But they cannot "coin money", however.

Ed Anger

Utah will adopt Spartan iron spits. THIS IS POLYGAMY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

The Minsky Moment

QuoteIt also exempts gold and silver transactions from the state's capital gains tax, though that does not shield exchanges from federal taxes

Which renders this mostly symbolic.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Can't they just denominate capital gains in gold, since that would be the currency?  What's wrong with this approach, other than tax evasion conviction?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 24, 2011, 06:40:31 PM
Which renders this mostly symbolic.
It was symbolic from the git-go.  Iowa could declare it legal to pay in bushels of soy beans but that doesn't mean anyone would accept them.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 23, 2011, 08:23:45 PM
Some guy tried doing that recently and they tried him for terrorism.  :lol:
Terrorism? On what grounds?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 23, 2011, 08:23:45 PM
Some guy tried doing that recently and they tried him for terrorism.  :lol:
Terrorism? On what grounds?
Given that most goldbugs are also militia nuts, detaxers and Klansmen, I imagine there was a plethora of potential charges.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

I'd say that goldbuggery branched out from those proud roots in the last decade, and infected many new followers.  The young yuppies heavily connected to Internet seem to be especially vulnerable; they have a lot of intelligence, but very little in the way of wisdom. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2011, 06:47:23 PM
Can't they just denominate capital gains in gold, since that would be the currency?  What's wrong with this approach, other than tax evasion conviction?

They can denominate whatever they want however they want, but the feds will still calculate capital gains tax in dollars and demand payment in the same.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson