News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Portugal] Election

Started by Martim Silva, March 23, 2011, 08:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Needs a thread. Minority government about to fall. Election campaign soon. Getting EU/IMF bailout before the week is over.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 23, 2011, 08:57:03 AM
Needs a thread. Minority government about to fall. Election campaign soon. Getting EU/IMF bailout before the week is over.

BUT WE DONT NEED IT!!!!!!11111

Like anybody ever bought that.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

The expansion of the EU turns out to have been a disaster.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Neil

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2011, 07:57:56 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2011, 07:53:28 PM
The EU turns out to have been a disaster.
fyp

:D
I'm not sure that's true.  The original set have done alright, and even if you add the UK, you're alright.  It's just when you started adding barbarian countries that you get into trouble.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 23, 2011, 07:13:47 PM
Socrates has resigned.

A good step, but the next Prime Minister won't have it easy.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2011, 07:53:28 PM
The expansion of the EU turns out to have been a disaster.

Not really. These countries HAD to come to the fold if Europe was ever to emerge as a world power, so we just have to deal with it.

And the crisis gives us an unrivalled opportunity to deal with unbalances in the Eurozone. Cash-strapped states, once reluctant in giving away more sovereignty, now realize that they have no choice but to accept common European Governance standards, effectively surrendering control over their budgets to Paris and Berlin.

Now, these populations cannot become Germans, but they CAN be better ruled, with far less corruption - and Germany can help a lot here, through the new rules and a close oversight of their national budgets.

This is a great first step on the road to a Federal Europe, and will allow for balanced budgest all across the continent, over which sustainable growth can be achieved.

But ultimately, the solution to everything lies with the USA. If America can solve its problems, all that we are doing can be achieved. If Washington fails - and so far it isn't doing much of anything to solve the crisis - then all of Europe's efforts will be in vain and we will all go bust.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

While I agree the bailouts are a great opportunity, they are being used to force austerity plans that will shrink economies and be easily reversed, instead of structural reforms that lead in the future to stronger PIGS (and thus more demand for German goods like high-end cars or manufacturing equipment).

Legbiter

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 23, 2011, 08:57:03 AM
Getting EU/IMF bailout before the week is over.

Great that means Spain is next. And after Spain, Italy.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

clandestino

Quote from: Legbiter on March 24, 2011, 01:34:58 PM
Great that means Spain is next. And after Spain, Italy.

I agree that Spain is next. But what about Belgium or the UK? It seems they aren't in good shape as well.