News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Trudeau accusing Indian security forces of murdering a Sikh Canadian citizen in Canada back in June.  India says that Canada harbours terrorists seeking secession of an independent Sikh state.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 04:07:48 PMTrudeau accusing Indian security forces of murdering a Sikh Canadian citizen in Canada back in June.  India says that Canada harbours terrorists seeking secession of an independent Sikh state.

Are they admitting to killing a "terrorist" in Canada, or are these two separate things?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2023, 04:09:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 04:07:48 PMTrudeau accusing Indian security forces of murdering a Sikh Canadian citizen in Canada back in June.  India says that Canada harbours terrorists seeking secession of an independent Sikh state.

Are they admitting to killing a "terrorist" in Canada, or are these two separate things?

I haven't seen a formal response by India (and I should say Trudeau didn't accuse India, he just said there was an investigation and called on India to co-operate).  But that has been a repeated complaint by India against Canada.

Barrister

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Yes. All this stuff about India will have lulled Denmark into a false sense of security.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2023, 05:12:04 PMYes. All this stuff about India will have lulled Denmark into a false sense of security.

:D

With the melting icecaps we can make it a round trip. Hit Copenhagen, head north over Russia and swoop back around for India. Perfect plan!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2023, 05:12:04 PMYes. All this stuff about India will have lulled Denmark into a false sense of security.

We made peace with Denmark - we split the island down the middle.   :homestar:

crazy canuck

The minister said the five largest grocers will work with the government to stabilized prices. 

So what is the minister going to do, reach beyond our border to reduce prices throughout the global food chain?

What idiot theatre feeding the populist frenzy of thinking the price increase is because of greedy CEOs.

Grey Fox

Maybe give the Competition Bureau power to review real estate deals made by the greedy CEOs or fostering customer beneficial competition instead of market efficacity/efficiency?

It's populism, I agree, and there is limited things the retailers can do but their gross profit is too big. Even if the margin is low, their gross is too big.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 19, 2023, 09:08:26 AMMaybe give the Competition Bureau power to review real estate deals made by the greedy CEOs or fostering customer beneficial competition instead of market efficacity/efficiency?

It's populism, I agree, and there is limited things the retailers can do but their gross profit is too big. Even if the margin is low, their gross is too big.

Why is it too big.  The obvious solution then is to limit the number of customers that are allowed into the store because you know it's a volume business and you know profits are terrible so let's just make people go without food and that will reduce profit. What the fuck has happened to this group?

Grey Fox

Don't put words in our collective mouths. Reduce your gross profit by spending more then. Maybe in salary to employees or less avoiding taxes?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2023, 08:57:44 AMThe minister said the five largest grocers will work with the government to stabilized prices. 

So what is the minister going to do, reach beyond our border to reduce prices throughout the global food chain?

What idiot theatre feeding the populist frenzy of thinking the price increase is because of greedy CEOs.
I can't see the five largest grocers doing anything else, really.

What were they going to do?  Tell the minister to fuck off?  In the current political climate, the Libs would have been vindicated to propose some form of additional tax on their gross profit just for show.  An annoyance for them they'd rather avoid, because it would complicate their fiscality needlessly, not because it would cost much more.  And it's likely something that Walmart and Costco could easily dodge.

As for what the minister can do: establish a committee to study the question.  Outside of having more competition so that producers have more choices on whom to sell to, there is no easy, short term solution.

Some of these chains have integrated supply chains, meaning they have their own farms, their own transportation, their own real estate.  There's a lot of waste at every step of the chain, they could put a lot more effort into reducing that waste, or giving their near past due date products to food banks instead of throwing it away.  I know it's hard to sell "imperfect" products, between what customers say and what customers really do, there's a world of difference.  But still, there's got to be a better way than wasting it.  These all add costs in the end, that are sent to the customers.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.