News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2022, 02:15:26 PMSounds good - but the manufacturer has not been approved by Health Canada,

That's a good thing, right?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on December 09, 2022, 06:53:16 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2022, 02:15:26 PMSounds good - but the manufacturer has not been approved by Health Canada,

That's a good thing, right?
There's a new sovereignty act to take care of that :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

New Brunswick Premier suffers horrible discrimination as unlingual anglo, could reach Premier position in the country, carreer opportunities severly limited (could achieve top political position in the country and nominate other unilingual anglos to top cabinet positions and government advisors), prepares to legislate to protect other lazy asses like him and discriminate against French speakers in the province.

Translated link

Original link

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2022, 12:30:24 AMNew Brunswick Premier suffers horrible discrimination as unlingual anglo, could reach Premier position in the country, carreer opportunities severly limited (could achieve top political position in the country and nominate other unilingual anglos to top cabinet positions and government advisors), prepares to legislate to protect other lazy asses like him and discriminate against French speakers in the province.

Translated link

Original link

Heh, he's like a mirror image of what Quebec politicians sound like, only with the languages reversed, and with very little support, apparently.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2022, 03:08:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2022, 12:30:24 AMNew Brunswick Premier suffers horrible discrimination as unlingual anglo, could reach Premier position in the country, carreer opportunities severly limited (could achieve top political position in the country and nominate other unilingual anglos to top cabinet positions and government advisors), prepares to legislate to protect other lazy asses like him and discriminate against French speakers in the province.

Translated link

Original link

Heh, he's like a mirror image of what Quebec politicians sound like, only with the languages reversed, and with very little support, apparently.
Quebec politicians are mostly bilingual.  They don't complain they are discriminated because they refused to learn english.

He sounds more like Danielle Smith and her rants about unvaccinated people being the most discriminated people on earth.  Or her latest rant about understanding the suffering of indigenous people because Alberta is treated the same by the Federal government.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2022, 12:15:08 PMSo a little history lesson from my own experience: there's always been a bit of tension under the constitution since criminal law itself is a federal power, but criminal prosecutions are a provincial power.  Back in the 90s when Chretien brought in the long gun registry Alberta swore it would not prosecute people for not registering their guns. It's always been a bit uncertain whether the province could do that or not. The province is certainly allowed to set priorities and policies for criminal prosecutions.  I have a whole guidebook on when I should or should not prosecute.  But the idea that the province would just flat-out refuse to prosecute an offence under any circumstance would be highly unusual.*

But so what happened about the gun registry?  The Feds and Alberta quietly came to an understanding.  Violations of the long gun registry would be prosecuted by Federal prosecutors, notwithstanding the fact that under the Constitution that would technically be handled by provincial prosecutors.  This allowed both parties to save face while avoiding a messy constitutional showdown.

So what will happen if this bill is passed and Smith's UCP is re-elected?  Good question.  I'm struggling to think of an example on how this would work in practice.

So we're going to find out!

Last night the understanding between the Feds and the Province on certain gun crimes was revoked.  I have a new practice directive - prosecuting the crime possessing a firearm prohibited under the new regulations will not generally be in the public interest if that firearm was purchased prior to the enactment of those regulations, and the person is not charged with other offences.

So I have been told, not in absolute terms to be sure but pretty firmly, not to prosecute those certain firearm charges, and the province now re-asserts its right to prosecute such charges.

I don't know if we've ever had a full-blown showdown on whether a province can refuse to prosecute certain kinds of criminal code charges.  Apparently Quebec in the 70s refused to prosecute abortion charges, but it sounds like the Feds just ignored it.  Which they might wind up doing here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Translated link

Original link

Not really, but then again you've never been above taking a swipe at QC with your facts all wrong, so par for the course.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2022, 03:05:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2022, 12:15:08 PMSo a little history lesson from my own experience: there's always been a bit of tension under the constitution since criminal law itself is a federal power, but criminal prosecutions are a provincial power.  Back in the 90s when Chretien brought in the long gun registry Alberta swore it would not prosecute people for not registering their guns. It's always been a bit uncertain whether the province could do that or not. The province is certainly allowed to set priorities and policies for criminal prosecutions.  I have a whole guidebook on when I should or should not prosecute.  But the idea that the province would just flat-out refuse to prosecute an offence under any circumstance would be highly unusual.*

But so what happened about the gun registry?  The Feds and Alberta quietly came to an understanding.  Violations of the long gun registry would be prosecuted by Federal prosecutors, notwithstanding the fact that under the Constitution that would technically be handled by provincial prosecutors.  This allowed both parties to save face while avoiding a messy constitutional showdown.

So what will happen if this bill is passed and Smith's UCP is re-elected?  Good question.  I'm struggling to think of an example on how this would work in practice.

So we're going to find out!

Last night the understanding between the Feds and the Province on certain gun crimes was revoked.  I have a new practice directive - prosecuting the crime possessing a firearm prohibited under the new regulations will not generally be in the public interest if that firearm was purchased prior to the enactment of those regulations, and the person is not charged with other offences.

So I have been told, not in absolute terms to be sure but pretty firmly, not to prosecute those certain firearm charges, and the province now re-asserts its right to prosecute such charges.

I don't know if we've ever had a full-blown showdown on whether a province can refuse to prosecute certain kinds of criminal code charges.  Apparently Quebec in the 70s refused to prosecute abortion charges, but it sounds like the Feds just ignored it.  Which they might wind up doing here.

Okay so interesting...

It appears there is strong authority that provincial jurisdiction over criminal prosecutions has merely been devolved to the provinces, either expressly or by custom, and not by matter of the Constitution.

If so, then it would always be open to the Feds to prosecute such firearms offences if the Province refuses to do so.

And heck, if they wanted to go the nuclear option, to say "okay Alberta, we'll just go ahead and take over all Criminal Prosecutions for you then if they're so much hassle"  (recall they do exactly that in the Territories).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on December 16, 2022, 03:17:37 PM

Translated link

Original link

Not really, but then again you've never been above taking a swipe at QC with your facts all wrong, so par for the course.

It is interesting to see the difference between you and Viper, judging by responses. He and I can disagree. You can't.

Moreover, I quite agree with Viper's position as to this New Brunswick politician. I agree that failing to strengthen  official provincial bilingualism in a province with a significant linguistic minority who would benefit thereby is a **bad thing**, and only focusing on the travails of certain majority language speakers, rather than concentrating on the unfortunate impact on the minority, is also a **bad thing**.

Though I would not use such harsh language a "discrimination" to describe such a stance. There may be all sorts of good historical reasons for advocating such an apparently on its face backwards policy as failing to support official provincial bilingualism in such places.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Careful, your condescension is showing.

Grey Fox

Yours is taking a tour around the god damn room, Zoops.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

On parle d'un politicien du Nouveau Brunswick, pis sa première réaction c'est de chier sur le Qc. Comme d'habitude. Au bout d'un moment, faut arrêter d'être colon. Pis là yé toute offusqué.

Me semble que quand on parle de Trump, je chie pas sur l'Ontario avec Doug Ford.

2 poids, 2 mesures, 2 solitudes.

HVC

It's a French-English conflict, what else is he going to compare to, North Battleford Saskatchewan?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

Why compare it at all? It's the very idea that it's comparable that Zoupa is, rightly, IMO, objecting to.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

And you can object, as viper did, it's the way he objected that rankeled malthus (and presumably gf in some way) 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.