News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Justin Trudeau is set to appear in an episode of Canada's Drag Race, the Canadian version of Ru Paul's drag queen show.

:huh:

You know, I think JT has the urban hipster vote pretty locked down at this point, and I would have thought he'd be working on developing his image as a serious leader.

But I guess he'll always be a drama teacher at his core.

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/around-ontario/justin-trudeau-to-appear-on-canadas-drag-race-spinoff-series-6073871
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Trudeau is such a goofball. Fortunately, a comparatively harmless one unlike the ones we have down here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

When I talk about anglo medias...

Canada's children's Tylenol shortage is getting worse — and bilingual labels are part of the problem

European countries can manage multiple languages, but Canada struggle with two.  Your children are dying, and it's the Frenchies' fault. :rolleyes:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

viper37

In other news, New Brunswick has tasked a person hostile to bilinguism to review the official languages laws of the provinces.

Meanwhile, in the rest of Canada, no medias are speaking about it, except in Quebec.

Here I thought the protection of minorities was held very dear to Canadian journalists.  Guess I heard wrong...  Oh wait.  That was about Quebec laws.  :)

viper37

https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1592611034740953090?t=rMmhJbcuRqxzpoM3bnHJMQ&s=19

QuoteToday, Danielle Smith announced she is moving ahead with a provincial pension plan and wants to use Albertans' retirement security to pay for a provincial police force and revenue agency. This is one bad idea on top of another that will lead to more costs. #ableg

It's the end of Canada!
:sleep:

I approve of the decisions.  Well, not using Albertans retirement security to pay for a provincial police, if that is true.  But creating your own police force and retirement funds are the first steps toward independence.  Go for you! ;)

HVC

If Canada breaks up Quebec is going to miss those sweet, sweet equalization payments :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2022, 01:28:32 AMIf Canada breaks up Quebec is going to miss those sweet, sweet equalization payments :P
Don't care.  One more reason to leave these Lib-NDP province-trampling centralized government.  :sleep:

viper37

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2022, 01:12:45 AMhttps://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1592611034740953090?t=rMmhJbcuRqxzpoM3bnHJMQ&s=19

QuoteToday, Danielle Smith announced she is moving ahead with a provincial pension plan and wants to use Albertans' retirement security to pay for a provincial police force and revenue agency. This is one bad idea on top of another that will lead to more costs. #ableg

It's the end of Canada!
:sleep:

I approve of the decisions.  Well, not using Albertans retirement security to pay for a provincial police, if that is true.  But creating your own police force and retirement funds are the first steps toward independence.  Go for you! ;)

Alberta Pension Plan:

This is of course a perfectly lawful idea.  Quebec has its own pension plan.  It does make it more complicated for people who move in and out of Alberta, but there's nothing insurmountable.

Alberta does pay more into the CPP than we get out.  This isn't because of some nefarious plot, but rather because we have a much younger population than other provinces.  Simply put young people keep moving here for jobs, yours truly included.  But pension plans have to take the long, long, long view of things, and it's not guaranteed that in 50 years we will still have a much younger population.

CPP is generally considered to be quite well-managed and is in a surplus (quite unlike US social security).  Alberta did have a bad history of making bad investments with our own Heritage Savings Trust back in the 70s and 80s, but has been well run since then.

Still though, I'd kind of feel safer sticking with the CPP.  There's also some notion that public service pensions would be rolled into the Alberta Pension Plan.  I get nervous when they want to mess with my pension.

Alberta Provincial Police

Again, this is perfectly lawful.  Heck you can go back 20 years or more and see Stephen Harper advocating for it.  Ontario and Quebec have their own police forces.

And while I have great respect for the RCMP, that's a force with it's own issues.  It also doesn't necessarily make sense to get recruits from Ontario or the Maritimes only to have them sent to Alberta to work as police.  There's also some value to being able to set your own policies and preferences.

The big reason why it has never happened though is cost.  Simply the Federal Government subsidizes the contract policing we get through the RCMP.  That's the reason why so many municipalities have the RCMP are their municipal police in the first place - it costs less.  If we replace the RCMP with an Alberta Police we're suddenly on the hook for I think over one hundred million dollars per year, not to mention the substantial set-up costs.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2022, 02:18:24 PMAlberta Premier Danielle Smith says she has Cherokee roots, but the records don't back that up

Seems to be the norm, lately.  BB talked about this the other day.  Might be of interest.

This is the Elizabeth Warren story all over again.

Many Americans claim some portion of indian, and often Cherokee, heritage that isn't supported by the genealogical records.  The fact it is verified doesn't necessarily make it untrue, which is why the issue gets complicated.  Smith's family may well have a long oral history of this particular ancestor being cherokee.

Where it gets ridiculous is when Smith trots out "well as a mixed race person my party can't possibly be racist", when even putting her at her word the portion of indian ancestry she has is remarkably small and she was in no meaningful way raised in an indigenous culture.

Bringing it back to Elizabeth Warren, the problem for her also wasn't that she claimed a distant cherokee ancestor - it's that she listed herself as being an indigenous person.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2022, 12:46:24 PMTake an area I am comfortable with: criminal law.  The courts have been striking down mandatory minimum sentences right and left

Why?

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2022, 02:35:46 PMAlberta Provincial Police

Again, this is perfectly lawful.  Heck you can go back 20 years or more and see Stephen Harper advocating for it.  Ontario and Quebec have their own police forces.

I am more concerned about the part where Notley says the government will used the social security funds to fund the creation of the provincial police force.  Are these wild accusations?