Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on October 01, 2017, 09:14:55 PM
Since Trudeau will likely be in power for the next decade,
you guys really hate me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

Viper, you can take heart in the fact that Trudeau hasn't had a focused opposition to date. Now that the NDP and Cons both have new leaders, Trudeau's ride in the house will potentially become harder
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

It's been pointed out that Douglas, Broadbent and Layton had lengthy tenures as NDP leaders and their best electoral results came later in their careers. So the long game is already part of the NDP playbook. So 2019 election? It's Trudeau's unless he really fucks up.
humans were created in their own image

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 01, 2017, 09:34:27 PM
Interesting point. Justin Trudeau is now the oldest leader of the three main federal parties.

:o

My ageism has won?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Today in the Let's piss off Viper corner, we are getting a new GG. Remplacing too old for the job 76 year old David Johnston is 53 year old former astronaut Julie Payette.

Long live the Queen!

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2017, 09:58:10 AM
Today in the Let's piss off Viper corner, we are getting a new GG. Remplacing too old for the job 76 year old David Johnston is 53 year old former astronaut Julie Payette.

Long live the Queen!
Bah.  she's not halfbad.  Not that she'll have any use anyway, it's a just a reward for a long successful carreer.  But at least, she did something meaningful in her active life.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Maybe she can have the job for 2 mandate & we can avoid a for little longer seeing our anglo friends tear eachother apart because Trudeau failed or did nominate a first nation person.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2017, 12:43:43 PM

Long live the Queen!
Bah.  she's not halfbad.  Not that she'll have any use anyway, it's a just a reward for a long successful carreer.  But at least, she did something meaningful in her active life.

You should look up David Johnston - had a pretty full "active life".  I mean, he was only a lawyer and not an astronaut, but I think you could still call it "meaningful".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Lawyer and meaningful. Does not compute. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2017, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2017, 12:43:43 PM

Long live the Queen!

You should look up David Johnston - had a pretty full "active life".  I mean, he was only a lawyer and not an astronaut, but I think you could still call it "meaningful".
from lawyer to politician is kinda a natural progression :P

Our current Lieutenant-Governor doesn't do much of his days.  Neither the previous one.  The one before racked up some huge bills before leaving.  Before her, the Feds nominated some dude who had a particular love of Nazi symbols.

Michaelle Jean always seemed like a true queen's representative, with the bill that comes with it.

Grey Fox

Took you way longer than I expected for you to mention money.

viper37

that's the only thing that count for me. But if you're like our former finance minister, and the most important is to be happy, than you have no reason to complain about politics: most of those who steal our money are happy doing it.  Everything's allright :)

Barrister

We had a discussion earlier about the notion that political left-wingers are increasingly demanding a kind of ideological purity - that it isn't enough to do the right thing, but you must think the right things as well.

In that context there's been a minor story about the chairmanship of the chairmanship of the House Status of Women Committee.  Traditionally that position is held by the opposition.  So recently when Andrew Scheer appointed MP Rachel Harder to the position, but the Liberals were outraged.  The problem?  Rachel Harder is pro-life.  Not that she is going to use the position to try and ban abortion, or do much anything on the topic of abortion.  But her personal opinion on the topic apparently invalidated her.

In the end the Liberals took the highly unusual position of electing Conservative MP Karen Vecchio, over Vecchio's objection, to the position.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/anti-abortion-mp-s-nomination-for-status-of-women-chair-defeated-1.3616995

Jacob

That's a pretty weak example of "demanding ideological purity." Not putting a pro-lifer as the chair of the House Status of Women Committee is about the same as not putting a fox as chair of the status of chickens committee. It doesn't matter if the fox proclaims it won't act on any of its chicken-eating beliefs.

In fact, that Scheer deliberately would nominate a pro-lifer to the position is a sign that he's planning to push regressive social conservative positions and attempt to reopen settled questions in pursuit of a culture war. What's next? Putting someone in favour of corporal punishment to chair a committee on childrens' welfare?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2017, 12:15:42 PM
That's a pretty weak example of "demanding ideological purity." Not putting a pro-lifer as the chair of the House Status of Women Committee is about the same as not putting a fox as chair of the status of chickens committee. It doesn't matter if the fox proclaims it won't act on any of its chicken-eating beliefs.

In fact, that Scheer deliberately would nominate a pro-lifer to the position is a sign that he's planning to push regressive social conservative positions and attempt to reopen settled questions in pursuit of a culture war. What's next? Putting someone in favour of corporal punishment to chair a committee on childrens' welfare?

Your analogies are terrible.  Being anti-abortion is in no way similar to being a fox.  There are many women who are anti-abortion - it does not mean they are anti-women.

This has nothing to do with Scheer "planning to push regressive social conservative positions", and everything to do with the Liberals trying to paint the Conservatives as being anti-abortion.