News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2017, 04:15:34 PM
I kinda agree. Mario Dumont is a much better person now that he is only a radio/tv personnality.
he was a great politician and would have made a great Premier, saving us from the current mess we are in.
Unfortunately, people like you hear "free market" and they get their pitchfork and torch immediatly.  Then they complain about corruption.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 13, 2017, 10:18:44 PM
And so logically a voter should choose the politician who is most likely to make decisions consistent with the voter's views.
then they should accept that others will do so, instead of favoring national interests.  As such, we get closer to a theocracy than a true democracy.  But that's ok, that's what you want.  French hating politicians and corrupt at the same time.  Canada is in great hands, we have no barbaric practice hotline, so we dodge a bullet, just like the Americans with Trump dodging the Hillary bullet :)

If you really want to talk about logic, what logical is to put your own interests asides for the good of the nation.  Stop voting with your heart and vote with your head.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2017, 08:09:54 AM
And so logically a voter should choose the politician who is most likely to make decisions consistent with the voter's views.
then they should accept that others will do so, instead of favoring national interests.  As such, we get closer to a theocracy than a true democracy.  But that's ok, that's what you want.  French hating politicians and corrupt at the same time.  Canada is in great hands, we have no barbaric practice hotline, so we dodge a bullet, just like the Americans with Trump dodging the Hillary bullet :)

If you really want to talk about logic, what logical is to put your own interests asides for the good of the nation.  Stop voting with your heart and vote with your head.

I have to admit, I have no idea what you are trying to say

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2017, 08:08:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 13, 2017, 04:15:34 PM
I kinda agree. Mario Dumont is a much better person now that he is only a radio/tv personnality.
he was a great politician and would have made a great Premier, saving us from the current mess we are in.
Unfortunately, people like you hear "free market" and they get their pitchfork and torch immediatly.  Then they complain about corruption.

No he was not & he wouldn't have. He found success in 2007 & then squandered it all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2017, 08:38:13 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2017, 08:09:54 AM

I have to admit, I have no idea what you are trying to say
if you want things to change for the better in your country, you can't ask "what can you do for me" but you should ask "what can I do for you".  ;)

Look, you complaing that some people vote for a guy like Scheer because he has a pro-abortion stance and they hope he will reopen the issue, notwithstanding the party platform and history, and his promises on the matter.  Than you claim to do exactly the same: vote for a guy who personally reflects your own values, despite the party's platform and history.

You can Jacob call me racist, yet you give your support to a guy whose notorious in hating Québécois and French speakers in this country and who constantly proves it everytime he has a chance.

Basically, it's a double standard: you want other voters in this country to make abstraction of their own personal values and vote for someone who may not entirely represent them because that is what is best for the country, but you will not be held by these same standards.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2017, 09:40:58 AM
He found success in 2007 & then squandered it all.
I don't think there was much more the ADQ could do.  Illegal financing of the political partis by the FTQ, hostile medias (even from the supposedly rightwing medias), growth crisis, unrealistic expectations from voters and only 18months to prove themselves.  That's a lot surmount in 18 months.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 14, 2017, 05:36:11 PM
if you want things to change for the better in your country, you can't ask "what can you do for me" but you should ask "what can I do for you".  ;)

I would have been a lot better off personally if the Conservatives had stayed in power. 

QuoteLook, you complaing that some people vote for a guy like Scheer because he has a pro-abortion stance and they hope he will reopen the issue, notwithstanding the party platform and history, and his promises on the matter.  Than you claim to do exactly the same: vote for a guy who personally reflects your own values, despite the party's platform and history.

:huh:

QuoteYou can Jacob call me racist, yet you give your support to a guy whose notorious in hating Québécois and French speakers in this country and who constantly proves it everytime he has a chance.

:huh:

QuoteBasically, it's a double standard: you want other voters in this country to make abstraction of their own personal values and vote for someone who may not entirely represent them because that is what is best for the country, but you will not be held by these same standards.

I think you have misheard, misunderstood, or simply decided to pick random words out of past posts to form your opinion about why I voted the way I did.

Jacob

Meet the newborn Justin Trudeau:

QuoteAt the Rockyview General Hospital in Calgary, around 6 pm on Thursday, May 4, a mother named Afraa Bilan gave birth to her own Justin Trudeau.
The 22-year-old mother and her husband, Muhammad Bilan, 29, are refugees from Damascus who arrived in Canada last February. Out of gratitude to the Prime Minister for accepting them into the country, they gave their baby the first name Justin Trudeau—the space is part of his first name—with a middle name Adam, and a last name Bilan. "We liked to put Justin Trudeau as a first name," says Afraa, "because we love this person because, you know, he brought all the refugees to Canada, and we appreciate him."

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/photos/meet-newborn-baby-justin-trudeau/ss-BBAOv6z?ocid=sf#image=1

Baby and family pictures in the link.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2017, 01:16:47 PM
Poor kid.

Yeah... to think he could still have been in Syria or a refugee camp somewhere.

Valmy

Now he will be bringing militant Sharia Law to Canada!!!1111

Caliph Justin Trudeau I
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2017, 01:36:34 PM
Poor kid.

:P

But really - through Facebook I see lots of pictures of my kids friends.  One guy, an old fraternity brother, I see he named his two girls Harper and Reagan.  I had to ask him to double-check - yes he totally named them after the former PM and President.  But it also gives the girls plausible deniability later on in life that they weren't just named because of their father's right-wing politics, since they are plausible names in their own right.

So Justin would be fine - but Justin Trudeau Adam Bilan?  Poor kid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

His friends will just call him J-Dog anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2017, 01:41:44 PM
:P

But really - through Facebook I see lots of pictures of my kids friends.  One guy, an old fraternity brother, I see he named his two girls Harper and Reagan.  I had to ask him to double-check - yes he totally named them after the former PM and President.  But it also gives the girls plausible deniability later on in life that they weren't just named because of their father's right-wing politics, since they are plausible names in their own right.

So Justin would be fine - but Justin Trudeau Adam Bilan?  Poor kid.

Like many people who find themselves in situations where their full name might raise an eyebrow, he may choose to go by only one of them. Justin or Adam would probably do just fine even in the most anti-Liberal strongholds in Alberta.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 17, 2017, 01:36:34 PM
Poor kid.

yes, we all know that the evilness of Stephen Harper knows no bound.  That's why Trudeau let in the same number of refugees that Harper planned, albeit faster, but only shifted the responsbilities to local communities and provinces :)

At least, he's in BC, the winters aren't so cold.