Yes
7 (63.6%)
No
1 (9.1%)
Kuglemot
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Savonarola

I was listening to a series of lectures on cyber-culture from the Berkeley.  The professor asked the class if anyone had ever made up a word; some of the students had and I was thinking "Liberal Arts Majors :rolleyes:," until I remembered that I had made up a few myself.  :Embarrass: So I was wondering if anyone here had done the same.

The words I coined are:

Puellale:  "Puerile" come from the Latin word for boy; "Puellale" (from the Latin word for girl) would be childish in feminine direction; for instance the doll houses grown women in the Netherlands put together during their golden age would be a puellale activity.

Mis-viristic:  Man hater; English has the word misogynistic to describe a woman hater, but its masculine equivalent, misanthrope hates mankind, not men specifically.  This one doesn't really work, though, since in Latin "Vir" connotes a great man; while using the more common word form man would lead to "Mis-homoistic" which makes me think of Van Morrison singing "Into the Mis-homoistic"

Deformazione professionale:   Not something I invented, but rather stole from the Italians.  The phrase literally means "Professional deformation," which means that certain people develop charateristics based on their profession.  Teachers, for example, will often speak slowly and clearly since they do this in their professional life.  There's no term that expresses this concept in English, so, as an English speaker, I think we should take it from a language that does.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

I may have enverbened a few nouns here and there, but nothing geeky like what you came up with.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2011, 02:14:44 PM
I invented the question mark.

Do you have a bald son with a fetish for nehru jackets?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I created a word once.  "Taco".  Then I found out "Taco" was already a word. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2011, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2011, 02:14:44 PM
I invented the question mark.

Do you have a bald son with a fetish for nehru jackets?

He's at his luge lesson.

Threviel

Yes, "Felsocial", swedish word meaning a person that don't behave properly. Someone that talks about the wrong subjects or tells jokes that no one laughs at. Emperor Wilhelm II was a felsocial person.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 22, 2011, 03:03:27 PM
Yes, "Felsocial", swedish word meaning a person that don't behave properly. Someone that talks about the wrong subjects or tells jokes that no one laughs at. Emperor Wilhelm II was a felsocial person.

:Embarrass:

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2011, 03:04:36 PM

?

PRC

I invented the word "Dork".  It actually started out as "Dorkostat"... but it was the shortened version that really took off.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 22, 2011, 03:08:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2011, 03:04:36 PM

?

You're kind. :)

DontSayBanana

I've got kind of an evolving word.  It started out as "herpa derp" and has been steadily gaining words as I see stupid or nonsensical things, and it's been catching on.

Currently, it's at "herpa-derpa-ruby-tuesday-broken-big-ben-brownie." (Read it like Swedish Chef for the best effect)
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Yes, I do all the time. I'm surprisingly succesfull at doing that, especially at work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.