And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 27, 2016, 02:45:54 PM
Way of life is good.

I think the whole focus thing is a lame piece of chrome.

edit: Actually I should revise. The focus thing is most uninteresting but you have to participate in it as otherwise you are at a disadvantage. The seduction stuff is also very tedious. I wish there was an option to say, guess what I don't care who is cheating on whom!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2016, 02:52:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 27, 2016, 02:45:54 PM
Way of life is good.

I think the whole focus thing is a lame piece of chrome.

edit: Actually I should revise. The focus thing is most uninteresting but you have to participate in it as otherwise you are at a disadvantage. The seduction stuff is also very tedious. I wish there was an option to say, guess what I don't care who is cheating on whom!

I think the focus system is a good idea, but it needs to be implemented better.  As it stands, I think it's too gamey and exploitative.  But unlike some of the other things that can be exploited, as you say you pretty much have to game the focus system, because otherwise you're at too big a disadvantage.

Sophie Scholl

I'm still waiting for them to go forward in history with CKII.  I'd love to play during the Wars of the Roses.  Alas, we just keep going back in time or adding a new bell and/or whistle. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: dps on January 27, 2016, 06:35:34 PM
I think the focus system is a good idea, but it needs to be implemented better.  As it stands, I think it's too gamey and exploitative.  But unlike some of the other things that can be exploited, as you say you pretty much have to game the focus system, because otherwise you're at too big a disadvantage.

Can't you just switch it off?

Martinus

Well, CK2 is (largely) a single player sandbox game. So, if you find some feature exploitative, just don't exploit it.  :huh:

What focus does well is that it gives you more things to do, but keeps you from being able to do everything at the same time. Personally, I like playing CK2 in a roleplay heavy way, and only switch focus when there is a very good reason for my character to basically reorient his or her life.

Martinus

By the way, the new instalment of "CK2 forum has the best thread titles":

QuoteRagnarr Lodbrok's secret male lover... And naughty Guardians.
How to Kill Myself
Whats the best way to eradicate a culture or an ethnic group?
When 7 year old kids start having their own kids...
Why am I suddenly Catholic?
Why are smartest people always Muslim or Hindu?

:lol:

Incidentally, the "naughty Guardian" in question became the lover of and gave the Lustful trait to a 10 year old boy under his care.  :XD:

Razgovory

Man, some people get all bent out of shape over violence in Video games.  In Paradox games, I've committed genocide, raped women, engaged in the slave trade, murdered children, started wars of aggression, launched Jihad, nuked cities and helped the Nazis win the war.  Not only did I do that in the game, but was rewarded for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2016, 01:34:48 AM
Quote from: dps on January 27, 2016, 06:35:34 PM

Can't you just switch it off?

Well yes you can turn the dlc off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 27, 2016, 10:56:23 PM
I'm still waiting for them to go forward in history with CKII.  I'd love to play during the Wars of the Roses.  Alas, we just keep going back in time or adding a new bell and/or whistle. :(

Well I would stop waiting. I don't think they are likely to put resources there as most players choose earlier starts rather than later ones.

Razgovory

Doesn't the War of the Roses occur after the end date?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Yes and I don't see them extending for it.

jimmy olsen

They could probably extend the game until 1648 if they wanted to.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2016, 03:15:57 PM
They could probably extend the game until 1648 if they wanted to.

System sorts of breaks down with colonization.  There is already ahistorical vikings in Iceland.

jimmy olsen

RIP King Cyenwulf II "the Whisperer" of Wessex.

Possessed by Satan as a young man, Cyenwulf was cursed with Lycanthropy. Every full moon he would terrorize his subjects, transforming into a bestial wolf man and rampaging across the hills and vales of southern England, tearing apart anything living unfortunate enough to cross his path. Every month he would wake covered in blood, feeling terrible guilt for what, he knew not.

Perhaps sensing his guilt, Jesus began speaking to Cyenwulf, calling on him to repent his evil ways. Thus, when a powerful old priest came before him to cast out his demons, Cyenwulf submitted to the ordeal and with a blast of holy power was purified.

Reborn in Christ, Cyenwulf vowed to redeem himself in the eyes of the church and of God. He crushed the Cathars of Essex and the Lollards of Wales in a series of holy wars and by the time of his death at the age of 70 in 844, surrounded by beloved family and friends, he had united 40% of England and 50% of Wales under his banner.

============

English early medieval history would have been a lot more interesting if we had to learn about this guy instead of Alfred burning a peasant's cakes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

101 years in, I've crowned myself the king of England. :)

1 Karma Chameleon point