News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

So I finally got this with all the expansions.

What's the best way to get introduced to this game (I did play CK - DV back in the day)?

Syt

Ireland, i.e. n00b island. Also check out Arumba's tutorials on YouTube.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Ireland is good and begin in 1066 before the fucking Vikings
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Yeah, with Horse Lords installed Ireland is probably the best place for a noob to start.

Without Horse Lords, some of the eastern European pagans are a good place to start, but with Horse Lords, you don't want to start out close to the nomads, because they're (mostly appropriately for the time period) overpowered.  OTOH, you probably don't want to start out as a nomad and have to learn their special mechanics right off the bat either.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2015, 07:23:05 AM
I'm not a "conquer the world" kind of player. The blobbage in Western Europe at this stage in the game already makes me consider starting a new game.

Blobbing just makes it a challenge.

With the Abbasids still strong, becoming Byzantine Emperor is hardly an I win button.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2016, 07:17:09 PM
Maybe for you, Tim.

:huh:

I'm well known here for being awesome with the Byzantines.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2016, 11:34:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2016, 07:17:09 PM
Maybe for you, Tim.

:huh:

I'm well known here for reloading saved games to my advantage being awesome with the Byzantines.

Fixed that.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Archy

Couldn't play CKII since the time they added India. Since I bought my new computer I'm loving this game again.

Started in the Karlingian period as Duke of Toulouse.
I'm now King of Aquitaine. I succeeded around 970 to have primogeniture and High Crown Authority. So my king dies and leaves an 8 year son as heir.
Immediatly factions start forming to lower crown authority. To prevent this I put a lowely count in my gaol and try giving them money to Like me.
Unfortunately due to faction fighting my uncle becomes my regent. I no longer can spend money to improve relations with his faction. In short order I get three demands of my biggest dukes all family to lower crown authority as a consequence I end up with minimum crown authority and Elective since They're too strong to fight for me. Their are now two factions who support my uncles.So I'm curious what the future will hold when I become free from regency. Fun rocky times ahead. :D

Syt

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-conclave-to-be-released-early-2016.901254/

QuoteYour Council Would Like a Word With You

New Crusader Kings II Expansion "Conclave" Coming Soon​

The new year will bring new goodies from Paradox Development Studio and the team behind Crusader Kings II, Paradox's best-selling and critically beloved medieval grand strategy game.

Conclave, the newest expansion for the game, will give your vassals some bite to go along with your bark, as the council that governs your realm will now demand some say in how you rule. Powerful dukes, regardless of competence, will require a seat at the table, and those left on the outside will be more likely to plot against you.

Keep your council happy, and the mighty vassals will resist the pull of faction and civil war. Dismiss their interests, though, and you may find yourself trying to hold together a council at war with itself.

Balance councillor skill and power to keep your dynasty safe and strong. Ignore powerful underlings at your peril, or simply buy their loyalty with favors. Conclave makes the royal council a force unto itself.

Other features of Conclave will include:
- Councils can now vote on changes to realm laws – or you can try to limit their power and influence
- Revised education system for royal children, with new traits and events designed for childhood
- New diplomatic system that prioritizes marital alliances and non-aggression pacts, as well as the possibility of coalitions
- Improved military combat model with a greater emphasis on morale, as well as new rules for mercenary companies
- And many more smaller changes including the usual tweaks to how the AI prioritizes its decisions.

So the choice will be yours; do you dare to challenge your vassals on their council at the risk of challenging them on the battlefield? Can you move your nation towards greater centralization and power without your advisors realizing how much they are losing in the deal?

Crusader Kings II appreciates the subtlety of court intrigue. Conclave will give you new avenues to test that skill.

Conclave will be available in early 2016.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_n_qy53Isk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on January 07, 2016, 03:49:14 PM
Full Rights for Women eh?
Saw that as well.  Interesting.  When I first read through the changes, I wasn't too impressed.  The screen shots added a lot more interest on my part though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."