And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2015, 07:19:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 30, 2015, 10:41:26 PM
It's called a game, you're supposed to have fun, not stoiaclly suffer the vagaries of a random number generator and defeat. :rolleyes:

It's called a strategy game. The fun is trying to overcome challenges with a good strategy. If you just remove all the challenges where is the fun?
If the computer beats me at chess, I just don't go "oh well" and start over, I replay the last dozen moves until I win. The longer it takes the more satisfied I'll be when I finally win because it means I overcame a difficult position. Same, thing here. I was actually disappointed with the Mongols performance, it only took me three tries to beat them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2015, 07:53:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2015, 07:19:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 30, 2015, 10:41:26 PM
It's called a game, you're supposed to have fun, not stoiaclly suffer the vagaries of a random number generator and defeat. :rolleyes:

It's called a strategy game. The fun is trying to overcome challenges with a good strategy. If you just remove all the challenges where is the fun?
If the computer beats me at chess, I just don't go "oh well" and start over, I replay the last dozen moves until I win. The longer it takes the more satisfied I'll be when I finally win because it means I overcame a difficult position. Same, thing here. I was actually disappointed with the Mongols performance, it only took me three tries to beat them.

But you don't overcome something that way, not necessarily. You just keep re-rolling until you get a random result that suits you.

Habbaku

Save-reload-scumming proves how good he is at thinking out of the box, though!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

New DLC announced.  "Horse Lords"  Some crap about being able to play as the Mongols. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

QuoteWith an expanded map, revised interface and new rules for successions and trade, Horse Lordswill immerse you in a world very different from the fixed settlements of Europe and challenge you to become the Great Khan – the Ruler of the Sky.

Features in the coming Horse Lords expansion include:
- Nomadic rule: Distinct from the tribal governments already in game, nomads need lots of space and resist the trappings of settlement
- Clan politics: Rule a clan within a nomadic tribe, split clans that get too large, fight for dominance, and proclaim feuds and blood oaths
- Muster Hordes: Raise vast armies of horsemen and archers, mobilizing your entire population to ride forth and conquer
- Silk Road: This rich trade network can bring great wealth to whomever controls the cities along the route – but it's especially ripe for pillaging.
- Larger Map: The Central Asian plains have been expanded
- Tributaries: New diplomatic relationship for nomad states forces defeated enemies to keep the Khan's coffers filled.
- Forts: build temporary fortifications to hold a province under your sway for just long enough for you to finish the war.

Horse Lords is the eighth major expansion to Crusader Kings II and will be coming to major digital retailers very soon. In the meantime, prepare to meet the Great Khan on the field of battle; your stone walls won't help you.

So when will they add China?  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I look forward to the initial release/free patch breaking the game so that the Mongols invariably conquer the entire map, and then the emergency hotfix a few weeks later crippling them in order to correct that. :)

Valmy

Probably past due. The Mongols have not played nearly as major a role in the game as they did in RL. But yeah they definitely have to add the central Asian steppes now...probably need to add all of Asia if they are going to do this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 10:47:40 AM
Probably past due. The Mongols have not played nearly as major a role in the game as they did in RL. But yeah they definitely have to add the central Asian steppes now...probably need to add all of Asia if they are going to do this.

Right?

I wonder what will happen with processing power as people got a bit upset with India added...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

With expanded Uzbek gameplay, this promises to be the comfiest of expansions.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 10:47:40 AM
Well yeah, if I actually got to play as Genghis Khan, I would want to be able to try to conquer Japan, Vietnam, etc.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2015, 11:08:35 AM
Well yeah, if I actually got to play as Genghis Khan, I would want to be able to try to conquer Japan, Vietnam, etc.

Not for that reason. Just that if you are going to have the Mongols playable and modled then you need to simulate how so many of their troops are needed to fight the Chinese.

My biggest beef with the Mongols in this game previously was they tend to rely too much on sheer numbers. The Mongols were usually significantly outnumbered, they were a steppe people so vast numbers were never what they were about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2015, 10:57:23 AM
I wonder what will happen with processing power as people got a bit upset with India added...
If I was P'dox I'd say "get better hardware."

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2015, 10:57:23 AM
If I was P'dox I'd say "get better hardware."

Kinda bullshit though. I mean people didn't really have a choice on if they had India hogging up their system's resources.

Caliga

I should play an India campaign sometime.  I mean, I own the DLC and all that.