News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Omigod Omigod Omigod !!!

http://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-ceo-says-game-of-thrones-is-one-license-i-would-consider/

QuoteParadox CEO says Game of Thrones is "one license I would consider"
Phil Savage
Feb 15, 2015

Game of Thrones is a go-to comparison for people trying to describe the feeling of playing Crusader Kings 2. "Sure," you might say to your fantasy loving friends, "it hasn't got dragons or dire wolves or ominous comets, but you can be a proper bastard to some underlings." Perhaps unsurprisingly, Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester says it's the only licence he would consider for the grand strategy studio.

"The reason we haven't approached HBO," Wester said during a ParadoxCon round table session, "is that I'm still on the fence because I'm not sure it's the right route for us to take."

Despite that, HBO did get in touch with Paradox, albeit for a different reason. "We are in contact with HBO on other things, like, we can call it 'The Game of Thrones mod,'" Wester said, referring to the popular CK2 modification. "They're not shutting it down. They're just a bit... wary about us monetising it, or if we're marketing it. It was after the Kotaku article [about the mod]," Wester said. "They were like, 'this article'. I'm like, 'yes, but we didn't write it, it was someone else.'"

It seems that the show's makers were worried that Paradox were directly profiting from the mod's existence. It's probably best we ignore the fact that, by enabling broad mod support and thus attracting a large catalogue of user-made campaigns, the game is unquestionably more attractive to those of us who enjoy that sort of thing.

"The mod is great, though," Wester says. "It would make a great franchise for us, it's just that we just need to get over that inner feeling that it's not the right thing to do ... it's a lot about creative control."

If you're wondering what a Paradox-made Game of Thrones game might look like, check out Rich's mod diary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Oh my god HBO wondered if P'dox was trying to make money off of their IP?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: schaksen on February 17, 2015, 12:53:41 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 16, 2015, 06:41:14 PM
Charlemagne DLC is on sale for €3.74 on steam
Darn, the price rose while in my basket :(

Oh wow, makes sense it was a mistake.

QuoteFacts:
- The 75% discount was a mistake which was corrected. We didn't mean to trick anyone.
- No, it wasn't a crime to change it.

We do apologize for people feeling mislead. It was very unfortunate that this happened. But if we would have "done the right thing" and stuck to the faulty price it would impact our ability to keep on working on this or other games since it would break or financial plans (yes, we are evil! We need to make money). I hope that most of you rather have more Crusader Kings II and other Paradox Games in the future than save $5 on this one DLC. This was a bit dramatic as we wouldn't have gone bankrupt for this one thing. But people do make mistakes now and then, and we must be able to correct them when needed or many small mistakes could lead to real trouble.

But again, our sincere apologies for the confusion and we will of course not do anything about the copies sold during the time of error. Thank you for understanding!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Nice, I got it at the wrong price.  TAKE THAT JOHAN!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2015, 01:10:26 PM
I launched a holy war for Kent and conquered the whole thing in one fell swoop.  I then executed a scheme to get a claim on Middlesex, used it, and so now all of the southeast is in my personal demesne. :cool:

I then moved my capital to Middlesex and now it seems I can switch culture to Anglo-Saxon.  Should I do this? :hmm:  The Norse have dominated England for so long that probably half the provinces now have Norse culture.
I conquered Dorset from Lotharingia after it revolted.  The King of Lotharingia is also my nephew btw.  Sorry junior. :)

Then nephew The King screwed me by somehow inheriting Cumberland and the Jarldom of Ulster.  He is no longer invited to my annual barbecue. :mad:

Caliga

Took back Cumerland and the Count of Cumberland's holding Whithorn from Lotharingia.  Right after I won that war King Hysing died so he barely got to enjoy his victory. :(

Now Ofeig is King of England.  His daughter Ingrid is the Dutchess of Normandy and his wife Blanca is the Duchess of Gascogne, so this ought to get interesting.  Ingrid is unmarried and so I am her heir, and I really want to kill her and take Normandy for myself. :menace: :blush:

Martinus

My main problem with CK2 is that, despite the fact that I play a lot of computer games, I just can't seem to get down to it and play a CK2 game - despite wanting to do so badly.

I think it comes down to game structure. Games like WoW (which is still the game I play the most) is structured in a way that allows you to divide your playing time into chunks - you could log for 30 or 50 minutes and still accomplish something meaningful, like complete a bunch of dailies or run a dungeon. With CK2, the problem is that to implement some stratagem you usually need more time than that, and leaving the game in the middle of it feels frustrating.

Syt

I might start a new game as a Sheikh in Abbassid Caliphate. Target: "I want to become caliph in place of the caliph."

Obviously I would have to become Vizier first. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2015, 05:08:02 AM
I might start a new game as a Sheikh in Abbassid Caliphate. Target: "I want to become caliph in place of the caliph."

Obviously I would have to become Vizier first. :P

Good idea.  Nobody ever suspects the Vizier of scheming.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

My best CK2 game ever was when I played the Emirate of Granada who turned Yazidi, who proceeded convert-or-die the whole dynasty and wanted to Jihad the rest of the peninsula to worship Shaitan as equal to Allah.  :osama:

Valmy

I was thinking of trying to found the 'Satanic Sultanate of Sicily' at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

It looks like it was smart of me to not convert to Anglo-Saxon culture when I had the chance (Middlesex is now Norse, so I can't do it any longer).  Apparently if you ever want to create English culture you need to be Norse but have holdings in France, which then allows you to become Norman.  Then, as a Norman, you need to have holdings in England to create English culture.  I don't have any holdings in France... yet... but as the heir of my heir will most likely hold Gascogne, that is likely going to change, and as I mentioned if I could somehow get my daughter killed then Normandy will be mine.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on February 20, 2015, 02:01:09 PM
It looks like it was smart of me to not convert to Anglo-Saxon culture when I had the chance (Middlesex is now Norse, so I can't do it any longer).  Apparently if you ever want to create English culture you need to be Norse but have holdings in France, which then allows you to become Norman.  Then, as a Norman, you need to have holdings in England to create English culture.  I don't have any holdings in France... yet... but as the heir of my heir will most likely hold Gascogne, that is likely going to change, and as I mentioned if I could somehow get my daughter killed then Normandy will be mine.
LOL!  I was trying to figure out if there was any way I could get Normandy when a random event triggered that a crack opened up in the ground to the 'gates of hell' and I had to figure out what to do to seal it.  One option was sacrifice my 'eldest son', and it gave me the option of throwing Duchess Iliana of Normandy into the crack to seal it, so I did it.  Crack sealed, I'm a big hero, and it just so happened I inherited Normandy also. :lmfao: :yeah:  :showoff:

Martinus

My most fun game was when I converted to Magreb culture (but stayed Catholic) as de Hauteville, after I moved my capital to Palermo.

I now have a plan of trying to convert to some Heresy and start from there.  :menace: