Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2014, 01:32:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Do you have gavelkind? If so that severely restricts what you can give your heir as it plots out others for your other sons.

I thought you could only give titles away to heirs based on what they were slotted to get anyway.

Anyway I have found playing with Gavelkind was the main problem I had in my games.  Once I went to different succession laws everything got immensely better.  It was just crazy just succession war after succession war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2014, 01:52:44 PM
I thought you could only give titles away to heirs based on what they were slotted to get anyway.

Main heir, yes but other sons you can change it up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2014, 01:53:49 PM

Ah didn't know that.  That seems like cheating to me but hey whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2014, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2014, 01:53:49 PM

Ah didn't know that.  That seems like cheating to me but hey whatever.

How so? As far as cheating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2014, 01:57:03 PM

It just seems weird that if the succession law demands certain lands go to certain sons how are you able to mess with it?  If you have primogeniture and your first born is a hunchback inbred simpleton while your second son is a genius you cannot just fiddle around with the succession order.  Strange you can fiddle with it in Gavelkind.  Granted Gavelkind was a lot more of a guideline than a series of laws.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2014, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2014, 01:57:03 PM

It just seems weird that if the succession law demands certain lands go to certain sons how are you able to mess with it?  If you have primogeniture and your first born is a hunchback inbred simpleton while your second son is a genius you cannot just fiddle around with the succession order.  Strange you can fiddle with it in Gavelkind.  Granted Gavelkind was a lot more of a guideline than a series of laws.

Well you can't really fiddle with succession order on Gavelkind. Your primary heir will still only be able to receive a few lands. What you are allowed to do though is mess with the handing out of titles - but the other sons will still want their fair share. Only thing it really allows you to do is making handouts more sensible, so give second son two counties together rather than the separate ones it might end up giving him.

Balance of power isn't altered too much / by landing other sons earlier (before inheritance), you've made them a little more powerful as they will now be established rulers.

OttoVonBismarck

Gavelkind is interesting and in some ways sticking with it for an entire play through would be a good way to add challenge to the game, but every game I play gavelkind I just end up mass-murdering unwanted heirs and eventually switching to another succession law whenever I can (bit longer process if you start off as Pagan, though.)

jimmy olsen

I've been using Elective in my Asturias -> Leon game. It's perfect for all these little one and two duchy kingdoms. Whoever you pick wins the election and it gives your family members a relation boost.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 19, 2014, 05:45:38 PM
Gavelkind is interesting and in some ways sticking with it for an entire play through would be a good way to add challenge to the game, but every game I play gavelkind I just end up mass-murdering unwanted heirs and eventually switching to another succession law whenever I can (bit longer process if you start off as Pagan, though.)

Oh I always just make a point to take back titles from my brothers.

Queequeg

Primogeniture is where it's at. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Queequeg

Isn't boring the entire point?  It minimizes internal conflict and makes inheritance predictable so you can inherit realms.   
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I guess I'm a bit of a powergamer because you don't get to survive an Invasion CB from the Abbasids as Old Gods Armenia by sticking to Gavelkind. 

garbon

I don't play CK to be bored, no. After all, it is so easy to take over many realms (though I guess maybe not in your 10,000 province map) that such doesn't interest me. My most fun is still my Slavic religion - Russian/Polish game where with one grandaughter inheriting I was reduced to a one province duchy and had to build myself back up.