And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2014, 07:27:54 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
Anne of Kiev may have been an unusual marriage, but it had a pretty big impact on the naming of Capetian kings for the rest of Middle Ages.
How so?

6 Phillips starting with her son and heir.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

:lol:
I thought there was some French noble name of Russian origin that I wasn't familiar with. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2014, 08:03:58 PM
:lol:
I thought there was some French noble name of Russian origin that I wasn't familiar with.

That stuff is all Greek to me.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I was about to say, I am pretty sure Philip is a Greek name.  Or at least was the name of the Apostle the Greeks like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

I thought things had improved a bit during and after the Carolingian period, apparently not. :mellow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Kiev
QuoteThe new queen consort was not instantly attracted to her new realm. She wrote to her father that Francia was "a barbarous country where the houses are gloomy, the churches ugly and the customs revolting." Anna of Kiev could write and read five languages, including Greek and Latin, while her husband and his entire court could not write and read, and signed themselves with a cross.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

I've used that fact several times on Languish as proof that Russia wasn't always a relative backwater.  You don't remember it?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2014, 12:07:46 AM
I thought things had improved a bit during and after the Carolingian period, apparently not. :mellow:

Well this was following a period of war and political fragmentation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Queequeg

Also; if you believe Mormon genealogy (don't) I'm a Rurikid through Anne of Kiev. 

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on February 27, 2014, 12:22:14 AM
Also; if you believe Mormon genealogy (don't) I'm a Rurikid through Anne of Kiev. 

I am pretty sure a huge percentage of all people of European descent are.

Queequeg

Yeah, probably, it's so far up the core Capet line that all Bourbons and Valois descendants are.  Not just the main lines, obviously, but the thousands upon thousands that broke off, and all the bastard children produced by all the princes and Kings in all subsequent European monarchies by inter-marriage with a Capet line.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2014, 12:14:50 AM

Well this was following a period of war and political fragmentation.
No excuses, Mr. French Apologist!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It's really annoying when someone assassinates a family member and you can't arrest him without upsetting the vassals. <_<

1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2014, 06:11:27 PM
I was about to say, I am pretty sure Philip is a Greek name.  Or at least was the name of the Apostle the Greeks like.

IIRC Anna named her son after Philip of Macedon.

Razgovory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_of_Kiev
QuoteThe new queen consort was not instantly attracted to her new realm. She wrote to her father that Francia was "a barbarous country where the houses are gloomy, the churches ugly and the customs revolting." Anna of Kiev could write and read five languages, including Greek and Latin, while her husband and his entire court could not write and read, and signed themselves with a cross.

I find that extremely questionable.  The court would include churchmen who almost certainly could read.  Henry's dad wrote poetry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on February 27, 2014, 05:58:22 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2014, 06:11:27 PM

IIRC Anna named her son after Philip of Macedon.

It can hardly have been before. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.