News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteWe have also added a "diplomatic range" to stop most interactions between extremely distant realms.

That is a relief.  I was envisioning St Thomas Christians popping up in Ireland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Weren't Eastern-Western marriages as far as the Levant happening, though?  Anna of Kiev and whatnot. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Maximus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 25, 2014, 12:16:52 PM
Weren't Eastern-Western marriages as far as the Levant happening, though?  Anna of Kiev and whatnot.
It would be nice if it was a dynamic limit rather than a hard one, but it's probably better than what we have now.

Valmy

Wasn't the Anna of Kiev thing so weird and unusual that the French were genuinely baffled by the Cyrillic script she left behind before Peter the Great and his entourage surprised everybody by reading it about 700 years later?

Levant marriages were more of a thing for Italian and nearby Christians not, say, Ireland and Sweden by what I can see and that makes sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grallon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 25, 2014, 05:46:36 AM

QuoteWe have also added a "diplomatic range" to stop most interactions between extremely distant realms.

I've been suggesting something like this since EUI in 2000...  Better late than never I guess.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

I'm not sure it makes as much sense in most of their titles. CK2 is a bit different as you aren't expected to bestride the world like a colossus and there is no PTI.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

This is good.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?758436-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-4-Elephants-of-Mass-Destruction

QuoteBut the other problem is supplies, it won't be a simple task to just walk across all of Europe with every single soldier you started with alive. You will now have to combat starvation as you march far away from your home. This means that Norse Vikings armies will have starved to death before even reaching India.

How it works is that while you are nearby your realm or your top-liege's realm your soldiers will fill up on supplies to keep themselves fed. These supplies will always last for 31 days. When they step too far away into neutral territory they will start to starve for supplies and have a ticking attrition that goes up slowly for each day. A good martial leader can of course counter-act it to a certain point. When you do finally reach the enemy territory, the troops will start foraging from their surrounding area to keep themselves supplied. The foraging builds on the pillaging from the loot bar except it goes a lot slower. When the soldiers can't take more from the loot bar they will start to starve again in 31 days. This will balance the rulers of Europe to invade their neighbors instead of happily jump over the Egypt and start carving their piece of India. Instead they will have to put a bit effort into it if they want to actually reach India.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I seem to recall that some of Harold Godwinson's family ended up in Russia as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

The range should be constrained by status. A King should have much greater range than a count.

EDIT: Just read that last update. I wonder how good Arab Camelry will be. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2014, 02:27:41 PM
I seem to recall that some of Harold Godwinson's family ended up in Russia as well.

Yes...after they went into exile to Denmark.  That is a pretty important detail there.

Zanza

The diplomatic range should be affected by culture. If my Scottish kingdom conquers Jerusalem during a crusade, it makes sense that there is still inter-marriage and diplomatic contact. Same with e.g. a Norse Sicily or Crimea or so.

The Minsky Moment

Anne of Kiev may have been an unusual marriage, but it had a pretty big impact on the naming of Capetian kings for the rest of Middle Ages.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Holy Roman Emperor Otto II married the Byzantine princess Theophanu, who became regent of Germany after his premature death. Her son was named Otto though, which isn't as innovative as Anne of Kiev...

Looking at the wives of the Holy Roman Emperors, they should not be limited in marriage range I guess. They married English, Russian, Spanish, Greek, French etc. princesses.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 25, 2014, 03:52:56 PM
Looking at the wives of the Holy Roman Emperors, they should not be limited in marriage range I guess. They married English, Russian, Spanish, Greek, French etc. princesses.

The Byzantines were still in Italy at the time, nearly neighbors to the HRE.  I think this works fine for the HRE, none of those cultures are far from their borders.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
Anne of Kiev may have been an unusual marriage, but it had a pretty big impact on the naming of Capetian kings for the rest of Middle Ages.
How so?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."