News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Sounds like you might suffer from having a shitty computer. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2013, 03:49:57 PM
To be fair he also appears to suffer from using IE.

OttoVonBismarck

I have a multiple monitor setup and while I haven't found a game I enjoy playing a lot lately (I still occasionally play CK2 but I've played the shit out of it already), anytime I run a game on my main monitor through steam I have no performance issues whatsoever with the stuff I do on other monitors. I don't notice any degradation in performance whatsoever when using steam. I think technically you're probably simply wrong. Right now background steam is using 6mb of memory and no CPU. I just launched IE10 (probably the first time since it was auto-installed), and have no problems browsing or using it with Steam running in the background.

Agelastus

Over the last few years I've used Steam I've had three computers, two custom made, one from a manufacturer.

All three of them may not have been "cutting edge" but they were only a small iteration behind; converting to American money, none of them cost less than $1600.

All three of them have had the same basic issues with Steam; in many respects Steam is like the Windows OS itself - as the computers get faster with more RAM it bloats to match them. And this "bloatware" encompasses a series of services I have no need for.

Bogus "Achievements"? Sales notifications (that pop up every time I do take it online)? Mod databases when mods used to be simple to install and use from the various enthusiasts' forums? All I need is a game. Gamersgate gave me that without the "bloatware". Simple, efficient, and workable.

I still remember the two hours it took me to load "Empire; Total War" from disc that first time simply because Steam didn't seem to like the idea (NO YOU IDIOT THING, I DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT, READ FROM THE EFFING DISC!) Admittedly this is an issue they seem to have fixed when I used the disc on a newer computer at a later date.

I doubt I'll ever like Steam, even if some-day they turn it from the "Bloatware" it is to something that lets you have different degrees of installation from a simple download assistant up to the full megillah.

Quote from: Maximus on November 21, 2013, 03:52:34 PM
To be fair he also appears to suffer from using IE.

I can't disagree there; the latest iteration of IE doesn't like playing nice with a lot of things, not just Steam. :lol:

I'm not impressed with Firefox's interface though and I have doubts about Google Chrome; is there anything else decent out there?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

OttoVonBismarck

When one person has weird complaints and experiences different from every user of the software I  know I speculate:

1. That person is misrepresenting (out of ignorance or exaggeration) their experiences
2. The person is so stupid as to be an unreliable narrator
3. The person is doing something wrong

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 21, 2013, 03:53:43 PM
I have a multiple monitor setup and while I haven't found a game I enjoy playing a lot lately (I still occasionally play CK2 but I've played the shit out of it already), anytime I run a game on my main monitor through steam I have no performance issues whatsoever with the stuff I do on other monitors. I don't notice any degradation in performance whatsoever when using steam. I think technically you're probably simply wrong. Right now background steam is using 6mb of memory and no CPU. I just launched IE10 (probably the first time since it was auto-installed), and have no problems browsing or using it with Steam running in the background.

The issue's more with the how long it takes the program to come up more than an issue with using it once it's actually managed to get started - as I said, Firefox has less of an issue - much, much less. And to be fair to Steam the issue got a LOT worse when they came out with IE10; if I hadn't noticed the same issue to a lesser extent with previous computers using Steam and IE I'd have been more likely to blame the issue on an incompatibility between IE10 and my antivirus.

Of course, I'm something of a masochist myself...I let Steam boot up automatically anyway instead of just blocking it and launching it when needed despite these issues. Sometimes I wonder just how much sanity I really possess. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 21, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
When one person has weird complaints and experiences different from every user of the software I  know I speculate:

1. That person is misrepresenting (out of ignorance or exaggeration) their experiences
2. The person is so stupid as to be an unreliable narrator
3. The person is doing something wrong

(1) I'd have to dispute the ignorance (if only because I've seen genuine ignorance concerning computers at a small company I worked at for seven or more years. :shudders:) Exagerration? Maybe. What's noticeable to somebody may not register with someone else. I like to think I'm not some hysteric, but...I can't prove that. :)

(2) I'm not going there...I'm still trying to live down that stupid IQ statement I made here a few years ago. :Embarrass:

(3) If there's one thing I do know how to do (and strangely enough this does seem to be a skill in the modern world, as odd as that sounds) is follow instructions and documentation. Besides, the processes for installing Steam etc. are so automated it's extremely difficult to see where something can be done wrong.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2013, 08:56:40 PM
The 2 years of dust in my computers is what is gumming up mine.
You can easily fix that with a shop vac dude.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2013, 04:41:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2013, 08:56:40 PM
The 2 years of dust in my computers is what is gumming up mine.
You can easily fix that with a shop vac dude.

Dude, I'm lazy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I just tried opening IE with steam running and then the same with steam forcibly shutdown. Opened just as quick both ways, nearly immediately.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

steam hasn't been an issue performance-wise for years (across multiple pcs)

Razgovory

Quote from: Agelastus on November 21, 2013, 03:46:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2013, 04:36:12 PM
Interesting fact:  Steam is actually just the name for the service, it involves no boiling water.  It can't actually "gum up" the inside of your computer with residue.

So which particular artificial language that lacks flexible and descriptive words would you like to replace English with, then? Not to mention that "Boiling Water" is likely to lack any substance capable of gumming anything up anyway.

In this case, you fail at "the funny". :glare:

You are of course wrong.  Water typically contains plenty of trace elements which will "gum up" the inside of pipes.  It was a serious problem with steam powered machinery, in fact the use of the the word "gum" to refer to slowing down machinery originally refers to this.  Hence my comment.

You don't actually have to change the English language to convey your idea.  For instance instead of saying:

" Steam is a pile of shit that gums up computers"

You could say: "Help me, I have no idea what I'm doing".  This is much clearer and to the point and conveys the same information.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2013, 04:06:36 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 21, 2013, 03:46:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2013, 04:36:12 PM
Interesting fact:  Steam is actually just the name for the service, it involves no boiling water.  It can't actually "gum up" the inside of your computer with residue.

So which particular artificial language that lacks flexible and descriptive words would you like to replace English with, then? Not to mention that "Boiling Water" is likely to lack any substance capable of gumming anything up anyway.

In this case, you fail at "the funny". :glare:

You are of course wrong.  Water typically contains plenty of trace elements which will "gum up" the inside of pipes.  It was a serious problem with steam powered machinery, in fact the use of the the word "gum" to refer to slowing down machinery originally refers to this.  Hence my comment.

You don't actually have to change the English language to convey your idea.  For instance instead of saying:

" Steam is a pile of shit that gums up computers"

You could say: "Help me, I have no idea what I'm doing".  This is much clearer and to the point and conveys the same information.

The steam, however, is the more purified part of said water.

You still fail at "the funny", as I said.

As for your latter comment all I can say is that since I resumed frequenting Languish in the last couple of months there is no poster whose opinion or thoughts I respect or take notice of less than yours.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Razgovory

That doesn't bother me in the slightest.  And I thought it was funny, which is good enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

The QQ-storm for decreased levies is still going strong :bleeding: I sure hope Paradox stays with the current model despite it.
I don`t even get it. In my Hungary game, I can roflstomp everyone just as easily as I used to, including rebels and factions. So not only the complaints are annoying for crying against something that is more historically accurate than what was before, they are also completely blown out of proportions and make the issue look much more severe than it actually is. The issue of course being of them having to actually pay attention to vassal relationships while conquering the map. The horror!