And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2013, 07:10:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2013, 06:33:16 AM
Btw, guys, I wanted to ask you one thing - how do you normally play CK2, especially when starting below the king's level? Do you "take it easy" and roll with the punches, letting your holdings for example split upon your ruler's death, or do you try to get to the king's level as quickly as possible, and move away from gavelkind?
For the last year or so I've always played as the d'Hautevilles, starting after Hastings, and I do try to get King of Sicily as quickly as possible, which obviously involves constant warfare until Sicily is conquered.  The last game I played Pisa took Syracuse before I got to it though. :glare:  If my holdings split I go back to a previous save. :blush:

That's how I play too (with d'Hautevilles, Piasts or de Bourgogne almost exclusively) but was wondering whether this playstyle contributes to my boredom (i.e. when I get the Kingdom I want - which is Poland, Sicily or Burgundy, respectively, I tend to get bored). I was thinking if playing differently may be more interesting - but I am not sure whether if you stay behind you are not making yourself too vulnerable to the AI.

Tamas

I do not reload unless I make a game-destroying fuckup.

A lot of the fun comes from climbing out of holes. that's why you start with those characters. Why should I stop the game from creating more similar challenges for me?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

I only reload when I autoclick and make an unintended white peace.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on June 06, 2013, 07:53:39 AM
if anybody feels like XCOPY-ing or something the files which were changed by the Steam beta patch and putting them in a zip file, I would be grateful :goodboy:

anybody? :goodboy:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on June 05, 2013, 09:58:04 PM
It does seem odd Jews wouldn't be in the game. Surely they'd be prime steward material?
I guess it would be too complicated to incorporate them, would require changing a lot of how things work for them- they've no homeland to just generate in, can't be having them adopting the culture their mentor, lowborn tend not to marry, etc...

If Jews were included, then logically there would have to be an option to expel them from a realm.
I am guessing that is why they aren't in; Paradox doesn't want run the publicity risk.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2013, 08:36:45 AM
I only reload when I autoclick and make an unintended white peace.

I reload when bugs occur like when I just made my son king of Lotharingia and on day 2 of a war, with 0% warscore, he gives up his crown.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

It does seem odd Jews wouldn't be in the game. Surely they'd be prime steward material?
I guess it would be too complicated to incorporate them, would require changing a lot of how things work for them- they've no homeland to just generate in, can't be having them adopting the culture their mentor, lowborn tend not to marry, etc...

Does anyone recall CK1? Except for the Khazars (who would disappear), Jews did make a lot of sense as they basically never married so were doomed to extinction. Not saying Jews shouldn't be in, but as you said Tyr they do need some special mechanics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2013, 10:25:02 AM

If Jews were included, then logically there would have to be an option to expel them from a realm.
I am guessing that is why they aren't in; Paradox doesn't want run the publicity risk.

Didn't stop their inclusion in CK1. I even remember during the public beta giving them additional Jewish courtiers to add.

Barrister

Pretty sure Jews / Khazars were from a mod to CK1.  I didn't play with mods, and never, ever saw them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2013, 10:58:31 AM
Pretty sure Jews / Khazars were from a mod to CK1.  I didn't play with mods, and never, ever saw them.

There was a county in Armenia or Georgia that had Jewish culture in vanilla.

crazy canuck

That is probably one reason.  Another possible reason, given all the pissing matches that go on over the borders, cultures etc in the Balkans, is who would want to open that kind of can of worms over what is historically Jewish?

Tamas

Never mind, I got the files :P

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2013, 10:58:31 AM

Just took a look and there were 3 in 1066. One of whom was ruler of Khazars.

Josquius

Thinking on the lowborn not breeding thing- surely they should.
The problem of course is then you'd have the world with a bazillion characters and the game becoming bloated and unplayable.
But surely some mechanics can be set in place to stop this. Have lowborn families dissapear into a 'might generate new characters in the future' buffer after a generation of never having held a position in game.
Maybe even something could be set in place whereby they do generate for player courts but not AI courts.

Have the "Expel the Jews!" option be an overwhelmingly terrible choice to make which messes up your economy severely for some short term gain with the clergy?
Don't think that would be so bad, showing anti-semitism existed and it was stupid.
██████
██████
██████