Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

god damn I want my beta patch! Stupid lazy Paradox. <_<

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2013, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2013, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2013, 10:58:41 AM
I mean in CK2, I think getting rid of one's male relatives is an imperative for muslim states. Killing them or imprisoning them.
Don't Muslims get Kinslayer?

I don't think so.

Muslim strategy 101 in CK2 is to imprison all your brothers the moment you take the throne, because then you can execute them with no trouble.

Thats usually the strategy I apply to my vassals as well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2013, 11:56:40 AM
I mean in CK2, I think getting rid of one's male relatives is an imperative for muslim states. Killing them or imprisoning them.
Don't Muslims get Kinslayer?

As Tamas said, nope.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?611173-The-Sword-of-Islam-Dev-Diary-1

QuoteMuslims get a slightly different set of character traits; they don't get the Kinslayer, Crusader, Celibate and Chaste Traits. Instead, they get the Mujahid, Hajjaj, Faqih (Islamic law expert), Hafiz (has memorized the Koran), Sayyid (agnatic descendent of Fatima or one of Muhammad's uncles) and Mirza (child of a Sayyida mother) traits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2013, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2013, 10:05:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 05, 2013, 05:31:01 AM
You really shouldn't get reputation hits for Tyrannical acts with the highest royal authority.  I mean you are already a tyrant. 

High crown authority is far from tyranny.  The administrative capacity and infrastucture didn't exist to have anything resembling an absolutist regime.  The negative hit from high Crown authority vs. the hit from particular acts are addressing two different things.  The first is the general suppression of traditional rights and the placement of "new men" in office; the second is for particular actions that violate cultural assumptions of justice and fairness.
I understand the distinction, but question it's validity in this period. Highly centralized states-the Macedonian Dynasty or the Ottoman Empire-got away with the latter very frequently.  The Ottoman policy of murdering your siblings is not plausible policy in CK2.

:hmm:

Also the Ottoman practice was a cultural norm and hence did not violate ingrained notions of justice, at least in that community.
I am thinking more of the Mirror for Princes literature, which existed in some form in all cultures.    It is a notable fact that as monarchies centralized and assumed more power, the norms reflected in this literature are stated even more concretely.  The expectatation was not that as monarchs accrued more power they could and should be expected to act tyrannically; the expectation was that with more power they had even more responsibility to fulfill their obligations of justice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2013, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 05, 2013, 10:05:38 AM
Hellenic religion?

Yeah, that's weird.  Are we talking about Zeus and Athena here?  I mean what else could it be....

And why not add Judaism?  At least that religion actually had lots of significant followers in this period.
I think it's mainly for the historical portraits.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2013, 12:24:14 PM

I don't think so.

Muslim strategy 101 in CK2 is to imprison all your brothers the moment you take the throne, because then you can execute them with no trouble.

At least imprisoning them until you have a heir and one or two spares of your own, then execute them one by one. Rince and repeat.

jimmy olsen

As for the Jews, maybe they're worried about the inevitable pogroms by their Eastern European fan base? Given all the other brutal stuff you can do in this game though it seems odd that that would be where they draw the line.  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

It does seem odd Jews wouldn't be in the game. Surely they'd be prime steward material?
I guess it would be too complicated to incorporate them, would require changing a lot of how things work for them- they've no homeland to just generate in, can't be having them adopting the culture their mentor, lowborn tend not to marry, etc...
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 05, 2013, 09:58:04 PM
It does seem odd Jews wouldn't be in the game. Surely they'd be prime steward material?
I guess it would be too complicated to incorporate them, would require changing a lot of how things work for them- they've no homeland to just generate in, can't be having them adopting the culture their mentor, lowborn tend not to marry, etc...
Definitely think there would be some landed Jews at the start of the 867 scenario in central asia.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 05, 2013, 09:54:37 PM
As for the Jews, maybe they're worried about the inevitable pogroms by their Eastern European fan base? Given all the other brutal stuff you can do in this game though it seems odd that that would be where they draw the line.  :hmm:

Well, people have weird priorities. "Rains of Castamere" got criticised by some people because it showed death of a horse and a wolf/dog. :P

And I have seen some feminist complain about a reviewer for using the word "hysterics" to describe Arya's potential reaction, and the expression "Robb's baby" to describe the Talissa's fetus.

Yes, this is the worst thing offending these people about that episode. :D

Martinus

Quote- Disallowed destruction of non-titular titles under Gavelkind

Ouch, harsh. Makes unification of a realm much harder as you pretty much need to unify it in a single generation.

Martinus

Quote- Added a "Retract Vassal" interaction

What does it mean?

Oh, just found out what that means. Now I can keep my vassals in their proper duchies, :ocdmonarch:

Martinus

Btw, guys, I wanted to ask you one thing - how do you normally play CK2, especially when starting below the king's level? Do you "take it easy" and roll with the punches, letting your holdings for example split upon your ruler's death, or do you try to get to the king's level as quickly as possible, and move away from gavelkind?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2013, 06:33:16 AM
Btw, guys, I wanted to ask you one thing - how do you normally play CK2, especially when starting below the king's level? Do you "take it easy" and roll with the punches, letting your holdings for example split upon your ruler's death, or do you try to get to the king's level as quickly as possible, and move away from gavelkind?
For the last year or so I've always played as the d'Hautevilles, starting after Hastings, and I do try to get King of Sicily as quickly as possible, which obviously involves constant warfare until Sicily is conquered.  The last game I played Pisa took Syracuse before I got to it though. :glare:  If my holdings split I go back to a previous save. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

if anybody feels like XCOPY-ing or something the files which were changed by the Steam beta patch and putting them in a zip file, I would be grateful :goodboy: