News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Has anyone seen the AI adopt Primogeniture?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2013, 08:33:04 PM
Has anyone seen the AI adopt Primogeniture?

Yep. In my game there's a King of France and Galicia, every generation because they adopted that.

Oh and I finally saw Germany appear. The Babenbergs got the throne and East Francia disappeared. I don't know if they started off with it, but they now have elective succession.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2013, 05:09:19 PM
Another observation, new rebellions are mostly just annoying as I predicted. Unless your back is up against the wall and you're out of troops, there's little chance that you won't successfully kill off any peasant rebellion (only type I've had so far). New system just makes it that you have to prioritize fighting them rather than just ignoring them.  Yet to see what they said about additional rebels joining in on an-ongoing rebellion (did have though a time when several random generals showed up to help me fight off a rebellion with a host of free troops for me).

I disagree. You cannot just flat out ignore them anymore. Sure it's annoying that you have to hunt them down but that wasn't going away, we knew it, and them having purpose is worth the trouble of having to make peace with them.

OttoVonBismarck

I just bought the DLC yesterday...just played a quick trial game to get a feel for it as the ruler of Jorvik, successfully won the invasion of Northumberland and then spent the rest of my time just sailing around Europe raiding everything  :D. I'm going to restart so I can try a bit more conventional approach where I actually try to expand my land holdings.

Tamas

Jorvik can has troubles. Just having an epic game with them, recently converted to Christian King of England via cuncubine, but at one point I was reduced to a one province kid count vassal of a Duchess who was vassal of King of Denmark.  :D

Agelastus

OK, that's interesting - declaring the Empire of Britannia (using 1.10,  "Old Gods" and "Legacy of Rome" only) caused the countdowns for the absorption of Duchies into the de Jure Kingdom of Wales to go into reverse...hard. For every year of gameplay they were losing 2 years of assimilation (Anjou, for example, went from 58 to 48 between the save-game I did before declaring the Empire and the last autosave before I backtracked.

That doesn't sound as if it's WAD, surely? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2013, 02:28:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2013, 05:09:19 PM
Another observation, new rebellions are mostly just annoying as I predicted. Unless your back is up against the wall and you're out of troops, there's little chance that you won't successfully kill off any peasant rebellion (only type I've had so far). New system just makes it that you have to prioritize fighting them rather than just ignoring them.  Yet to see what they said about additional rebels joining in on an-ongoing rebellion (did have though a time when several random generals showed up to help me fight off a rebellion with a host of free troops for me).

I disagree. You cannot just flat out ignore them anymore. Sure it's annoying that you have to hunt them down but that wasn't going away, we knew it, and them having purpose is worth the trouble of having to make peace with them.

Did you read what I said as I said that you can't just ignore them anymore? My point is that they are really just annoying though as I've yet to have an instance where I was like oh no, these rebels are going to win.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on June 02, 2013, 12:12:07 PM
OK, that's interesting - declaring the Empire of Britannia (using 1.10,  "Old Gods" and "Legacy of Rome" only) caused the countdowns for the absorption of Duchies into the de Jure Kingdom of Wales to go into reverse...hard. For every year of gameplay they were losing 2 years of assimilation (Anjou, for example, went from 58 to 48 between the save-game I did before declaring the Empire and the last autosave before I backtracked.

It is. Once you become an Emperor, duchies stop drifting into any kingdom titles that you have.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2013, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on June 02, 2013, 12:12:07 PM

It is. Once you become an Emperor, duchies stop drifting into any kingdom titles that you have.

Yes, so I've been told...so I've asked if the fact that Duchies still gravitate towards a former primary title (king-level) and not your current (king level) one is WAD as well! :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

So pretty lame on that MO bit. To not have attrition in pagan provinces, looks like you have to wait until the pagans have advanced MO to level 4 in their provinces...

Razgovory

My heir went off to join the Varangian guard.  When exactly does he get that trait?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2013, 04:26:53 PM
So pretty lame on that MO bit. To not have attrition in pagan provinces, looks like you have to wait until the pagans have advanced MO to level 4 in their provinces...

Scratch that. It simply isn't working...

Tamas

I was one generation away from introducing Primogeniture in my Norse Catholic England, waiting on my dude's son to enact High Authority. And there was just two sons and I could really neatly organize future inheritance to keep the important parts of my über-demense intact.
So life was good. But then the old king managed to father a third son out of the blue, shortly before catching the epidemic of the time. I felt there was no time to reorganize and undo the damage to the future demense, so in a fit of desperation, I converted to Elective inheritance.

DAYS after that the king died but luckily his heir got elected. New king managed to get High Crown Authority voted with no small trouble, but the ensuing drop in popularity saw his heir drop out of favor with the electors. I tried to remedy it, but it was not really working. And they didn't even prefer a family member.

7 MONTHS before the "must rule for 10 years" condition could trigger for Primogeniture, THE KING DIED. He was like 46, WTF.

His son thus lost the Kingship, but still was the strongest vassal. Out of a fit of rage I started a "name myself King" faction, launched the war, had most of the vassals join me (funny how they didnt vote for the guy but followed him to war), beat the new King soundly... then realize that enforcing my peace would drop the crown authority back to medium... I still enforced it.

And now we are back to Gavelkind, and I cannot get the goddamn high crown authority thing voted.

I love this game.  :D

I went to a single province vassal-of-a-vassal count in this game, climbed back to independent Jorvik status, with most of rest of England being Danish, which was then a mighty kingdom stretching from Ireland to the Baltic provinces. Saw it crumble and fall piece by piece, with me never winning a direct war against them, now in the 1070s they still have most of Ireland, but just a couple of provinces in Wales, and they are waging desperate wars to keep hold of their last Baltic lands.

Meanwhile, a generation or two ago my King married the Karling King of Acquitaine's daughter. I only discovered after the fact that she was the second of two daugthers, there were no sons or grandsons around, and the King was near 60... who still fathered a son soon, but poor infant met the pointy end of my plot, while elder daugther died on her own.

I even helped my father-in-law unite France (under the name Acquitaine), when it was divided between him and an other dude.
I was set to have my son inherit an empire.
Then my wife died before his father, and the united Karling France went to a different family, and has been in constant turmoil  ever since. oops!

Tamas

BTW I removed all empires for this game except for HRE and Byz, and it seems to have the desired effect, except that nobody can really stand up for Byzantium.

garbon

Doomie says there will be a steam beta patch on Wednesday afternoon.