News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Something I was just wondering...what is the gameplay reasoning for making it so you can't usurp a title from someone who is at war? I don't actually see why that's one of the limitations on usurping from a game balance perspective and it just seems to create a lot of really annoying and unrealistic scenarios in game.

Queequeg

If thats a primary title and the only one of its rank it can make an entire polity collapse.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2013, 03:30:14 PM
If thats a primary title and the only one of its rank it can make an entire polity collapse.

That makes sense, but in many scenarios you might control an entire duchy and some guy halfway around the world has the title and is permawarring and you have little means to ever usurp it. I'd think unless it was their last title of a certain rank it would make sense to allow usurpation during war. Or maybe say anytime you have 100% of a title's holdings you can always usurp, regardless of war status.

Queequeg

I understand your argument, but that would be quite a bit of work and I don't really know how it would effect the actual mechanics of the game.  Say I am the Duchy of Barcelona and I am trying to usurp the title King of Aragon while a unified Aragon-Castile-Leon is fighting against a Jihad.  When I usurp the title of King of Aragon, are the vassals of this King of Aragon-Castile transferred to me, or stay under the same man?  That seems like quite a bit of coding considering that wars rarely last longer than a few years. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Add in a condition that you need to have held everything for some time.
Maybe not make it an instant owner switch usurption but have an usurper war where they get time to try and take back de facto control?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Seems like it's be easier to keep as is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

The current way though is a bit broken.
Its not as bad as in Crusader Kings 1 where you would have a two province Kingdom of England surviving for centuries in the mdidle of Hungary whilst the England remained a mess but that kind of thing does happen a bit more than is realistic.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I admit, I'm kinda stoked about this new DLC.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I tried watching some of that video stream they had today. At first I thought it was the accents throwing me off but then I realized it was just that it sounds all so nerdy when people talk about it out loud. :blush:

Side note, I believe I saw them say that they have a Sunni-Shia schism event so I guess they aren't considering that split to have occurred until sometime in the 867 to 1066 time frame.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

How are they planning to model the Catholic/Orthodox split?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Perhaps they changed it but originally they were going to have the split already in place with the notion that it was already well developed at this point.

garbon

garbon

Btw, Tim, from most recent trailer looks like yeah they are starting with Orthodox already split off.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 07:24:01 AM
Perhaps they changed it but originally they were going to have the split already in place with the notion that it was already well developed at this point.

I'm okay with that decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2013, 11:11:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 07:24:01 AM

I'm okay with that decision.

Yeah I think it's pretty fair insofar as there were already concerns then about whether pagan states like Bulgaria would be subordinate to Patriarch or Pope - and a lot of the differences in rites had already come about (filioque, leavened bread).