News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2013, 03:23:34 PM
The Catalan County ("Duchy") is too, as are the largest French vassals.

Flanders isn't, which is my favorite French duchy to play.

Tried a game as Leon, the old quick assassinate trick doesn't work as well as it did in CK I.

My first heir also gayed up, had one daughter, died and the game crashed.

On the other hand I did learn that the Duchess of Toscana will marry in CK II. :hmm:

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 12:28:01 PM

But I'm having a deeper, metaphysical problem with this game.  In CK I you expanded by slowly stacking up provinces and handing them off to courtiers or whoever as you gained the ducal titles.  In CK II you can't slowly expand because everybody starts out with gavelkind and can't change it.  So the game reduces to a soap opera where you diddle diddle with your character beating up hedge knights or exorcising sink holes.  It may be very realistic in that you'll likely end up about where you started--barring a couple of miraculous marriages + deaths--but it's not a whole lot of fun for a guy who likes to go conquering.

In one of my first games, the one which prompted me to bitch about plots. A series of plots resulted in a quick succession of random relatives being made king with me controlling two counties middlesex and essex while the rest of england atomized as more and more counties declared independence during the succession crises. Once the dust had settled I realized that my primogeneture had been changed to gavelkind due to yet another revolt and I set about uniting england. I made three attempts to do so, each ending badly as my king died and divvied up all his titles forcing me to start from scratch. The 4th duke of bedford managed to pull it off. It was annoying as fuck.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

So when is the new expansion expected?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on March 25, 2013, 06:06:26 PM

But I'm having a deeper, metaphysical problem with this game.  In CK I you expanded by slowly stacking up provinces and handing them off to courtiers or whoever as you gained the ducal titles.  In CK II you can't slowly expand because everybody starts out with gavelkind and can't change it.  So the game reduces to a soap opera where you diddle diddle with your character beating up hedge knights or exorcising sink holes.  It may be very realistic in that you'll likely end up about where you started--barring a couple of miraculous marriages + deaths--but it's not a whole lot of fun for a guy who likes to go conquering.

In one of my first games, the one which prompted me to bitch about plots. A series of plots resulted in a quick succession of random relatives being made king with me controlling two counties middlesex and essex while the rest of england atomized as more and more counties declared independence during the succession crises. Once the dust had settled I realized that my primogeneture had been changed to gavelkind due to yet another revolt and I set about uniting england. I made three attempts to do so, each ending badly as my king died and divvied up all his titles forcing me to start from scratch. The 4th duke of bedford managed to pull it off. It was annoying as fuck.

It is extremely easy to prevent your realm from partitioning even with gavelkind and if you have several of the top titles (like few ducal titles and you are not a King). Your constantly complaining comments make me feel that you really do not know how to play this game. :P

In fact, I often end up using gavelkind deliberately, as it is very easy to counter its negative sides, and its positive sides are well worth it.

Admiral Yi

Share your advanced technology Marty; how do you counteract gavelkind?

Martinus

When you are approaching the time when you may realistically expect to die, just give all your counties by one to your eldest son.

If you hold several ducal titles, but only one county, and all your sons but your eldest are landless, then he will also get all your ducal titles on inheritance.

Admiral Yi

Thanks Marty.

CK being CK, you're still going to get a fair share of early deaths.  Have you been able to sustain this strategy for an entire game?

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2013, 01:11:51 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 25, 2013, 06:06:26 PM

It is extremely easy to prevent your realm from partitioning even with gavelkind and if you have several of the top titles (like few ducal titles and you are not a King). Your constantly complaining comments make me feel that you really do not know how to play this game. :P

In fact, I often end up using gavelkind deliberately, as it is very easy to counter its negative sides, and its positive sides are well worth it.

Gavilkind had nothing to do with the atomization of the kingdom, that was due to the independence plots hatched during the various succession crises. In this case I (a 2 year old with an incompetent regent) got deposed by a random relative from italy. That random relavtive was almost immediately subject to his own plot to be replaced (this time with me as the target). Naturally this plot failed, but another plot did replace him shortly after. At this point everybody in the kingdom is hating everybody else and everybody is plotting. By the third round of coups various dukes were starting independence plots, which were succeeding. The superdukes then further atomized as well due to gavelkind one generation later. I was not an actor in this process i was merely an observer and the last loyal duke.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

QuoteSo, I've been watching the Paradox live stream and Johan mentioned that we would be seeing Celtic Faces and unit pack DLC before TOG is released. This is fairly exciting news (even if it is simply cosmetic), I just hope the quality has been increased since Med and Russian face packs.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Hmm, curious that they picked Jan 1 867 given that they then decided to twerk the history of Byzantines/Abbassids to have ahistorical developments by the start of 867.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2013, 08:48:17 AM
they then decided to twerk the history of Byzantines/Abbassids

I'd pay to see that.  :D

garbon

garbon

Ooh, pagans can't change away from gavelkind until they "reform" their religion.