News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2013, 02:57:30 AM
My personal problem with the game is that it is often a lot of fun for the first 100 years or so, but then it becomes somewhat tedious - maybe it's because it has that sandbox approach, where you set your own goals, but the problem is that once you become powerful (for me, this happens when you create your own empire), there is not really that much to do other than ceaseless expansion - and this, in turn, kills the whole Sim Feudalism feel of the game to me, as you are forced to ignore a lot of messages about "personal lifes" of characters, as otherwise you are getting swamped with them.

I rarely have that problem as I usually start as a count somewhere, and roleplay my characters to a large extent instead of going for max. title/land. That keeps me entertained enough with an overseeable amount of stuff going on and without becoming too hectic. I don't think I've ever started a game as king or emperor.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

My habit is starting games as a Duke and working my way toward a King, which is why I like playing as William the Bastard and Robert Guiscard.  I also apparently really like Normans for some reason. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

How do you rise up from Count to Duke?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2013, 04:33:57 PM
How do you rise up from Count to Duke?

:huh:

By getting more territory...or by being given a dukedom from your liege?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I was thinking of a strategy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2013, 06:51:52 PM
I was thinking of a strategy.

Get money, get soldiers, take shit...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Viking

Quote from: fahdiz on February 25, 2013, 07:26:51 PM
...profit!

at least my step three was more detailed than the traditional

Quote3. ....

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jaron

Its very simple. All you need to do is fabricate a claim on a neighbor and then attack them with mercenaries. With mercenaries, even a poor (but frugal) count can field an army of 10k.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Viking

Quote from: Jaron on February 25, 2013, 08:09:35 PM
Its very simple. All you need to do is fabricate a claim on a neighbor and then attack them with mercenaries. With mercenaries, even a poor (but frugal) count can field an army of 10k.

that is until you run out of cash, get declared on by your mercs and have them take over your county.

Caliga

True story: in my current game I saw the Bulgarian Band conquer all of Cyrenaica for themselves.  Eventually the Emir of Alexandria kicked them out, but they held the region for at least a decade.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I saw the Lombard Band take Denmark. Hilarious, since as Sweden it gave me an excuse to take some prime territory.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 25, 2013, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: Jaron on February 25, 2013, 08:09:35 PM

that is until you run out of cash, get declared on by your mercs and have them take over your county.

If you're doing it wrong.

Jaron

I've never had mercs do that to me. I'd say if you're not optimistic about finishing the enemy off quickly, save up about 500d.

Ideally, your target shouldn't be far away, shouldn't have a ton of allies who will join, and preferably have the same liege. I don't know if conquering fellow vassals incurs any penalty with your liege, but it does reduce the armies you'll have to face. Am I correct there? I'm assuming if I'm in Duchy A and I try to claim a county that is currently in Duchy B then I'll have to face the county + the ruling duchy.

I find it easy enough to expand that way as almost anyone. I had a Habsburg game where I went around merrily conquering around Switzerland. I recently started a Bourbon game and I've taken over a neighboring county in that way. Most of S. France is ruled by Aquitaine, which makes it quite a bit easier to eat up enemy counties one by one. My duke might throw a hissy if I declare myself the new Duke of Bourbon, but that's about the worst I expect it'll get.
Winner of THE grumbler point.