News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 07:02:54 AM
it's unfortunate the best way to play islam is to kill all your children except for the chosen heir, and imprison every other relative.

LOL can I be: Ottoman Empire?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

i haven't played enough to be ottoman empire, or even byzantine empire  :(

still, it seems quite a hassle to play islam. maybe i want to play a muslim nation and have a grand plan for conquest ... and don't want to utterly decimate my bloodline.. without the use of mods or edits. it's impossible! also, removing decadence is ridiculously easy once you've ensured your family line is nearly destroyed

garbon

Hmm, started in Alexiad so I'd have weak Fatimids.  They ate up all of Ethiopia, made in-roads into Arabia and recently took Jerusalem. When I saved/exited last night, they had just launched a holy war against me for Achaea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 09:11:51 AM
Hmm, started in Alexiad so I'd have weak Fatimids.  They ate up all of Ethiopia, made in-roads into Arabia and recently took Jerusalem. When I saved/exited last night, they had just launched a holy war against me for Achaea.

I almost always start Alexiad, a far better starting date IMO, but the Fatimids have never been weak.  They regularly own large swaths of Southern Europe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

The fundamental problem is that rulers of large empires are able to gather all their vassals and march them over great distances far too easily. If it was more like IRL, with vassals waging their own little private wars all over the place, and only available for the liege's use for 40 days per year, it would be more difficult to gather doomstacks and take lots of territory.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2013, 10:12:26 AM

I almost always start Alexiad, a far better starting date IMO, but the Fatimids have never been weak.  They regularly own large swaths of Southern Europe.

I should have marched on them instead of Rum at the start. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 10:32:35 AM

Well, I don't think the Alexiad-start Byzantine empire is strong enough to march on Rum, to be honest.

Faeelin

Really? In most games I've seen, they swat it easily.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 10:32:35 AM

Well, I don't think the Alexiad-start Byzantine empire is strong enough to march on Rum, to be honest.

Why not? Byzantines can easily chip away at Rum who is constantly distracted by its internal faction politics and revolts because of culture. 

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 11:30:16 AM

You can, especially if you do not use Holy Wars.  The large Byzantine Fleet gives you the ability to move troops around strategically and wear down the Rumites by crushing smaller armies.

Or you can wait until they are distracted like garbon says.  But granted it is tricky the Rumites are very strong. 

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on February 07, 2013, 12:03:02 PM
Really? In most games I've seen, they swat it easily.

They do?  The Rumites have a pretty strong alliance with the Seljuks and if you do the Holy War thing lots of other Muslims can join in.  Plus they are not exactly a push over themselves.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2013, 12:21:41 PM
Or you can wait until they are distracted like garbon says.  But granted it is tricky the Rumites are very strong. 

Well I only have this one game but they've been constantly distracted / the Seljuks haven't done much to help them as they've often been facing their own breakdowns.  In fact full-sized Seljuks only just re-formed in my game.

Tamas

What is seriously retarded in this game is that Empires are the most stable things imaginable. Kingdoms regularly break up and unstable like fuck, but Empires do not.

Octavian

I started at the Alexiad start date with Byz using Project Synergy mod (mix between CK+ and SWMH map). I really like the CK+ faction system.

Anyway 20 years into the game the Fatimids who hasn't expanded declared a Jihad against Bohemond II of Apulia. I joined Bohemond alongside Capua and later the Count of Sicily. The Fatimids raised 10.000 holy warriors but lacked the fleet to transport them... So they lost.

Rum has been stable but busy fighting against Seljuk rebels. As a result of that large rebel armies formed and several regions was taken and greek rulers installed. Diplomacy and war (against Bogumilist) returned those regions to me.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Queequeg

Anyone interested in a more realistic Byz game should probably start aa bit after Alexiad, with the partial Turkification of Anatolia and the firm establishment of Cilician Armenia.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."