News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 02, 2013, 04:44:14 AM
That's not true at all, at least in my games.

What about this is not true?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on February 02, 2013, 08:58:30 AM

you described it as a common occurance. I can recall one, maybe two games of mine, like, ever, when something like this happened.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2013, 10:03:03 AM

you described it as a common occurance. I can recall one, maybe two games of mine, like, ever, when something like this happened.

1.09 Rome, Islam and Republic.

Check the log for the first day of the month following the start of a succession revolt.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2013, 07:36:15 PM
I think Wallace comes from the Germanic word for "foreigner" or "stranger".  It can be found in several place names like Wales, Walloon, and Wallachia.  It's probably no different the English last name, "strange".
Yep. Anglo-Saxon was 'wealas' for foreigner. Hence Wales, Cornwall (peninsular-foreigners) and Walbrook (foreigner-river, probably a British settlement) in London.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on February 02, 2013, 11:43:25 AM

Check the log for the first day of the month following the start of a succession revolt.

I think I have been on the suffering end of a grand total of 1 succession crisises in all of my games.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2013, 12:07:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 02, 2013, 11:43:25 AM

I think I have been on the suffering end of a grand total of 1 succession crisises in all of my games.

You're not communicating

What patch and dlc are you using?
Did you check the succession crises in other realms?
How are you playing?

This is something that seems to happen to empires with many vassals, especially with new rulers when suddenly all the vassals get a large minus in relations.

That is the first part of the problem, the second part is that the A.I. fights to it's own death to seat an unknown on the throne and the warscore in these wars give the revolter 20 times the warscore per province occupied than the sovreign.

Razgovory

I can't switch sides in a faction war.  I didn't even know the AI could.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

1. I was talking about my own realm. Yeah succession crisises happen to the AI. Apparently I am better at playing this game than the AI is
2. those happening, are a good thing. They should happen more often, especially to Empires
3. on the matter of a lot of vassals, as I mentioned here a countless times, I am on the opinion of minimizing them via handling out Duke titles.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 02, 2013, 03:47:03 PM
I can't switch sides in a faction war.  I didn't even know the AI could.

Yeah, it sucks. It sucks extra balls when I'm the pretender AND marshal to the king AND get maimed on his behalf during the campaign AND get arrested at the end of the war AND am the heir AND the lecherous octagenarian pops out three sons in 27 months and I know I can't switch sides.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2013, 04:53:06 PM
1. I was talking about my own realm. Yeah succession crisises happen to the AI. Apparently I am better at playing this game than the AI is

Precisely. This happens much more to the AI than it does to the player. I role play so it happens to me alot as well.

2. those happening, are a good thing. They should happen more often, especially to Empires

Yes it does, but it didn't happen to every empire every succession.

3. on the matter of a lot of vassals, as I mentioned here a countless times, I am on the opinion of minimizing them via handling out Duke titles.

I have found that keeping small dukes is better than a few large ones. The Superdukes are much much much more dangerous. The worst thing you can do as an emperor is to give away a king title, the second worst thing is to have two kingly titles so that every nobleman in the territory of the second title hates you and wishes to become king himself. Best is to destroy king titles as emperor and deal with the temporary -50 relations hit.

Razgovory

I've been collecting Kingly titles like stamps.  Unfortunately, a terrible curse has befallen my empire.  My son was born Swedish and is now the shame of Europe.  I cheated slightly and loaded a game as my heir (who was King of Sweden and Norway).  I set up an antipope, overthrew the ordinary Pope and got permission to invade the Holy Roman Empire.  I declared war and called the Latin Empire into the war.  By itself, Norway-Sweden wouldn't have a chance against the HRE.  With the might of the Latin Empire (which controls France, Sicily, Greece, Half of Armenia, Spain, most of the middle East etc) the war lasted less then one month.  Now the Empires are United and I rule the vast majority of Europe.  Only parts of Britain and Italy are outside my grasp.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Having more than one king titles is bad. Your dukes will covet your additional kingships.

During the last patch, I had a Byzantium game going where I handed out king titles all over the place, leaving only Greece for myself.
This did require extra attention to my vassal kings, I grant you that, having like 8-10 vassals (kings and greek dukes) instead of 35 or so helped.

No matter what you do, your character traits will seriously piss off some of your numerous vassals. But if you have just a handful, you can manage them.

Razgovory

Hasn't really caused me any problems.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 03, 2013, 03:27:32 AM
Having more than one king titles is bad. Your dukes will covet your additional kingships.

During the last patch, I had a Byzantium game going where I handed out king titles all over the place, leaving only Greece for myself.
This did require extra attention to my vassal kings, I grant you that, having like 8-10 vassals (kings and greek dukes) instead of 35 or so helped.

No matter what you do, your character traits will seriously piss off some of your numerous vassals. But if you have just a handful, you can manage them.

I managed to run a stable empire in  the end with absolute laws with max taxes and minimal levies for everybody. I had a retinue of about 250k spread out through my empire. Organized into three doomstack parts. Four armies of about 20k each were able to overrun any uppity duke that choose to revolt when I sent the marshall to arrest them for conspiring to murder some lowborn schmuck quickly. Plus fight any limited local war without calling out the levies (the levies were sort of fighting anyways since they were defending castles and studiously being counted for war capacity). Being able to put 80k men into any bordering duchy meant that I could fight and win wars for neighboring claims against bigger opponents since I had blitzed the territory under dispute and gained 100% war score well before the enemy had time to gather his forces.

In this situation you want the vassals small, at least compared to the regional retinue. I sort of know how King John felt when he summoned his vassals to southampton to fight in france, only to take their spending money for the campaign to pay his mercenaries and send their levies home.

I still have issues and my system depended on my dukes constantly either being under-age, under-investigation ,under-arrest and over-taxed.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.