News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 05:39:51 AM
I think for now the best way of dealing with Fatimids is to choose the Alexiad start. You lose only 15 years of the grand campaign (which is not a lot) and you have them on their knees at that point in history already.

I was starting around that time before they even invented the Alexiad start.  It is a far superior starting date for the game IMO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

As an outside force, how do you take the Holy Roman Empire?  Since it's elected I'm not sure exactly how to get an heir to take it over. It was so much easier with France where somebody just gave it to me out of the blue.  Also I'm a bit disappointed the Golden Horde hasn't switched religions yet.  I had them go Catholic once, but then the game crashed.  I'd like to see it become fragmented so I can take it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2013, 09:22:04 AM
As an outside force, how do you take the Holy Roman Empire?  Since it's elected I'm not sure exactly how to get an heir to take it over.

Do you mean in terms of military force or a claim?

In terms of a claim, other than fabricating it (which, I assume, would be prohibitevely expensive but I never tried it before), there are often unmarried claimants of both sexes mulling around, so your safest bet is to marry one of them (matrilinealy, if your are a female). Then, depending on whether the claimaint's claim is inheritable, either start a war to press the claimant's claim (thus ending married to the Emperor/Empress - presumably, with your son inheriting both your realm and the HRE), or wait until the claim passes to your heir, and then, when you get to play him/her, press it yourself.

If you are lucky and the Emperor is sufficiently hated, you could actually get the HRE crown for free, if the HRE vassals start a civil war to put "your" claimant on the throne (but seeing how probably half of the HRE Dukes have claims themselves, it is unlikely).

Another method would be to get the Emperor excommunicated and then petitioning the Pope for an invasion CB (which should be doable most of the time, as HRE is likely to be bigger than you).

Of course, nothing of this helps if you do not have armies big enough to defeat the HRE doom stacks.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 09:33:15 AM
In terms of a claim, other than fabricating it (which, I assume, would be prohibitevely expensive but I never tried it before), there are often unmarried claimants of both sexes mulling around, so your safest bet is to marry one of them (matrilinealy, if your are a female). Then, depending on whether the claimaint's claim is inheritable, either start a war to press the claimant's claim (thus ending married to the Emperor/Empress - presumably, with your son inheriting both your realm and the HRE), or wait until the claim passes to your heir, and then, when you get to play him/her, press it yourself.

Yeah this is my preferred method combined with attacking when HRE is distracted by civil war. Well really my preferred method for any kingdom/empire I want to seize. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

My favourite method of bringing down HRE, when playing as a neighbour, is to nibble at the border provinces constantly whenever someone rebels or declared independence.

The main problem with the HRE is that it is so easy for the emperor to reach Absolute Authority in a short time.

Razgovory

No, I'm bigger then the HRE, I surround the fucker.  I border it from the North, East, and West.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2013, 11:40:59 AM
No, I'm bigger then the HRE, I surround the fucker.  I border it from the North, East, and West.

Take some de jure land of it and start working on getting yourself elected that is how I always take down the other Scandinavian countries as Denmark.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Nah, just marry the Emperor's daughter, assassinate her father and then press her claim. Then, when she gives you the heir, assassinate her. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 11:47:35 AM
Nah, just marry the Emperor's daughter, assassinate her father and then press her claim. Then, when she gives you the heir, assassinate her. ;)

If it is elective law she will not be a claimant...or at least that was my original problem when trying to take over Sweden and Norway.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2013, 12:40:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 11:47:35 AM

If it is elective law she will not be a claimant...or at least that was my original problem when trying to take over Sweden and Norway.

Like Marti said though, inevitably someone of the right gender with claim to HRE (or any major title).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

The damnest thing happened in my Byzantium game (still largely vanilla except for a couple CB tweaks).

In one of those strange happenings where HRE vassals become independent and peace ensues, Kingdom of Germany (!) was formed. So did Kingdom of Lorraine or WTH. Didn't help that both of these remained grey in the realm view, but HRE remained to be Austria and... the Crusader States.

Of course, this development did not concern the Emperor. Instead of reuniting his native land, he promptly finished the conquest of the Arabian coast, as well as the coast of Egypt. One Jihad each were called for these two respectively, with a rather big show of force from the already fragmenting Muslim world. It was all in vain however, since beside HRE (now lesser) doomstacks, England, France, Hungary, and who knows who else rallied to the defense of the Emperor, and zergrushed Muslim Jihad attempts.

Tamas

On a more positive note, I liked how I botched up my invasion of Alexandria, when its Duke was rebelling (still a muslim then). I landed my regular mercenary ass-kicker force, but I didn't pay attention that two plagues (consumption and not sure what) ravaged those provinces. So as my stack melted away during the siege, I kept shipping in my vassal levies, all to melt away in attrition. I had to give up.

Razgovory

I really need a male heir.  The wife ain't doing her job.

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 07:37:39 AM
I really need a male heir.  The wife ain't doing her job.

Present Debutante, then legitimize the bastard.

Razgovory

No I need my wife to produce the heir.  If she produces a kid the Kingdom of Norway falls under the Latin Empire.