News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

That is a weakness of these types of games. One model can't really be used to accurately reflect history and means of warfare across the entire map. There is always some damn rebel that messed things up.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2013, 07:25:06 PM
Sluys is the exception that proves the rule.  I can't think of another important naval engagement in the period.  And Sluys was more in the way of a port raid that a stand up naval fight.
Agreed.

QuoteWhile there is no stuff like trading goods or anything, the DLC does create an entire sub-layer of happenings beside the usual ones. This is highly promising. Too bad there is no inheritance among priests, the Catholic church would serve well for a similar sub-layer.
Seems that it could be done. Play as one of the Roman aristocratic families fighting over the Papacy.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2013, 11:25:50 AM
Initial impressions:

While there is no stuff like trading goods or anything, the DLC does create an entire sub-layer of happenings beside the usual ones. This is highly promising. Too bad there is no inheritance among priests, the Catholic church would serve well for a similar sub-layer.

Money of course starts flowing heavily once you are established, however, not only they have stupid events robbing you of money, you need to keep expanding to not lose out to rivals. You can't do nada without mercs (in the early game at least). Plus other expenses, so it isn't nearly as bad as I feared (initially, at least).

Also, this needs some getting used to. You need to expand, while you need to keep vassals down, you need to keep plotters away from your trade posts or plot to gain some yourself. All of this is as I said a separate layer, sort of like "under" the normal map. I was genuinly confused for a while before I got the hang of it. Plus there are other stuff. Like fucking Doge of Pisa just had me excommunicated. And since I have a trade post in Popeland, Il Papa immediately declared an embargo war on me and marched with circa 8k troops to burn it down.

Are you using the gamersgate version? Because steam does not have the DLC released yet.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on January 14, 2013, 12:04:36 PM
Cool. Which DLC is next?

My bet/wish would be to get something to flesh out the Roman Curia and the Holy Roman Empire. I hope they are not going to cave in to the neonazi crowd and do a pagan DLC.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 15, 2013, 12:31:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
The Italian city states fought a bunch of naval battles with each other, against the Greeks and against Sicily.

Yeah Venice and the Italian navies was the only need for it but it creates a problem because if you model it just for that then you make naval affairs important everywhere and they just weren't.

Eh, that's already a weakness.  Pitched battles were already fairly rare in the time period.  During the English anarchy there were like three major battles, none of which did much to decide the war.   And that war went on for 17 years.  Naval battles are by nature rarer then land ones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

That's really my most positive point about this DLC as of yet. They quite succeeded in creating a parallel world about money and trading rights, beside the dynastic concerns of the nobility. Very promising for the future, and for mods.

EDIT: in response to Sheilbh

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2013, 03:22:34 AM
Are you using the gamersgate version? Because steam does not have the DLC released yet.  :hmm:

:nelson:

yes I do.

Anybody knows how to mod in the CB requirement to have a trade post present?

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2013, 03:23:36 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 14, 2013, 12:04:36 PM
Cool. Which DLC is next?

My bet/wish would be to get something to flesh out the Roman Curia and the Holy Roman Empire. I hope they are not going to cave in to the neonazi crowd and do a pagan DLC.

I think next DLC IS the pagan one. Why? Remember how the republican coastal CB came in a patch or two ago? One of the new features in this patch, is a new bookmark at the start of the Mongol invasions....

And if they manage to create such a different kind of gameplay as they did with Republics, pagans could be fun I guess.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2013, 03:30:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 15, 2013, 12:31:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
The Italian city states fought a bunch of naval battles with each other, against the Greeks and against Sicily.

Yeah Venice and the Italian navies was the only need for it but it creates a problem because if you model it just for that then you make naval affairs important everywhere and they just weren't.

Eh, that's already a weakness.  Pitched battles were already fairly rare in the time period.  During the English anarchy there were like three major battles, none of which did much to decide the war.   And that war went on for 17 years.  Naval battles are by nature rarer then land ones.

Your insanity best shows in your stubborn insistence on retarded arguments long after they are utterly debunked.

Razgovory

How have they been "debunked"?  I may be insane, but it's possible I'll recover.  You'll always be stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Having started a Komenii (or how do you write that byzantine dude who started the reconquista of his empire). He died in like his second battle, and its been a pain ever since.

But it reminded me to tell Yi, Ed, and the other noobs about how important preventative maintenance is. It is especially easy in Orthodox land.

Especially with factions trying to install a rival family member. Remember, remember, the keys are those guys with the claim.
I did forget it for a while, and was about to go under against a massive rebellion, when I realized that the claimant was... my Steward! Excommunicate-imprison-execute. War was gone!

Another claimant pushed? Excommunicate, imprison, blind! And the third one... Then I was out of Piety, which sucks.

But.. you have other ways you can try to have a go with... The most prevalent faction now has my kid cousin as claimant. When the boy got 6 years old I took him under my protective wings as his tutor. Waiting for an event which can have me get him maimed or killed of course. :P So far I had just one event where I could make him less popular in the eyes of some folks. Good start!

Martinus

Also, don't forget the value of the assassination plot - especially if the target is your courtier, this should be piece of cake.

Just remember that you can invite more people to the plot than just the ones the game suggests to you and make sure your Spymaster likes you (which is something you should make sure of always, anyway) so that he joins the plot.

This should give you 150-200% success, which should get the events firing off within a couple of weeks.

I have smothered entire lines of toddlers threatening my succession that way. :P

Martinus

Also (while this is a bit gamey), if your ruler is old and goes infirm/incapable (i.e. his time on this earth is short), use this as an opportunity for a Stalinist purge in your realm. Arrest and execute pretenders, banish powerful lords and the like. And then pray for a quick death, so the negative modifiers go away.

garbon

County of Piombino lets you try out Republic features without owning the DLC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The Mongols really did their job in my last game.  For some reason the IllKhanate now rules Somalia.  It doesn't rule most of the middle East, just East Persia some of Central Asia and everything south of Egypt.  The Golden Horde though, it rules everything the Russians had and Poland.