News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Is the new expansion going to add some naval combat?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2013, 04:59:45 AM
No.

That is a shame.  I mean, there were naval battles at the time.  Not many, but then there weren't a lot of pitched battles either.  Medieval commanders tried to avoid major battles if at all possible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 02:29:26 AM
No.

That is a shame.  I mean, there were naval battles at the time.  Not many, but then there weren't a lot of pitched battles either.  Medieval commanders tried to avoid major battles if at all possible.

Don't agree, really. While naval battles happened, they weren't anything decisive or epic. On the other hand, land battles of the era went into history and decided the fate of wars (Agincourt, Crecy, Grunwald, Hattin etc.). So arguing that they were comparably rare and important is pretty retarded.

Razgovory

I guess this means you don't know much about them.

Tamas

Initial impressions:

While there is no stuff like trading goods or anything, the DLC does create an entire sub-layer of happenings beside the usual ones. This is highly promising. Too bad there is no inheritance among priests, the Catholic church would serve well for a similar sub-layer.

Money of course starts flowing heavily once you are established, however, not only they have stupid events robbing you of money, you need to keep expanding to not lose out to rivals. You can't do nada without mercs (in the early game at least). Plus other expenses, so it isn't nearly as bad as I feared (initially, at least).

Also, this needs some getting used to. You need to expand, while you need to keep vassals down, you need to keep plotters away from your trade posts or plot to gain some yourself. All of this is as I said a separate layer, sort of like "under" the normal map. I was genuinly confused for a while before I got the hang of it. Plus there are other stuff. Like fucking Doge of Pisa just had me excommunicated. And since I have a trade post in Popeland, Il Papa immediately declared an embargo war on me and marched with circa 8k troops to burn it down.

Phillip V

Tamas

And despite all that I may only give one more try to republics under this patch. I mean, maybe I just did the easiest start, but as the Dorias I just completely dominated the Genoa scene. I had to put some money in advance of some of the elections to get the lead, but I had money.

The biggest threat I see right now is ending up with a lot of tradeposts in a single blob, which will proceed to rape you to loot them.

garbon

I'm still with the rest of the whiny P'dox kids who can't access this because it isn't available on steam yet (except for workarounds via purchases from other vendors).  Good though as it is nearing 11PM and I should be in bed. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, I'll give p'dox credit that Regina is putting up a good PR face in that thread. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2013, 03:09:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 02:29:26 AM
No.

Don't agree, really. While naval battles happened, they weren't anything decisive or epic. On the other hand, land battles of the era went into history and decided the fate of wars (Agincourt, Crecy, Grunwald, Hattin etc.). So arguing that they were comparably rare and important is pretty retarded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sluys
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Yeah, he's just ignorant.  I just accepted it, and moved on.  Same thing last week when I had to inform him that 1.2 million people died in Poland during WWI.

Admiral Yi

Sluys is the exception that proves the rule.  I can't think of another important naval engagement in the period.  And Sluys was more in the way of a port raid that a stand up naval fight.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2013, 07:25:06 PM
Sluys is the exception that proves the rule.  I can't think of another important naval engagement in the period.  And Sluys was more in the way of a port raid that a stand up naval fight.

The Italian city states fought a bunch of naval battles with each other, against the Greeks and against Sicily.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
The Italian city states fought a bunch of naval battles with each other, against the Greeks and against Sicily.

Yeah Venice and the Italian navies was the only need for it but it creates a problem because if you model it just for that then you make naval affairs important everywhere and they just weren't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."