News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

That's not how I played apulia at release.  Has something changed drastically?

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on October 18, 2012, 02:27:34 PM

Yeah.  Seems the only way to survive is to immediately pledge fealty to someone, else you get smashed by the Muslims around you.
You can do it with some marriages a lot of the time. I interbred with the Kombenoi so much early on that I had an inbred second son. Wait till Edessa is grabbed by the Rum Seljuks, then take it when they are bogged down in a war with the Romans. That's almost all Armenian. Mesopatamia and Antioch can be grabbed pretty quickly.

It's a precarious game, but super rewarding.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: sbr on October 18, 2012, 02:41:48 PM
That's not how I played apulia at release.  Has something changed drastically?

Fatimid Invasion CB.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 02:48:02 PM

Yeah.  Seems the only way to survive is to immediately pledge fealty to someone, else you get smashed by the Muslims around you.
You can do it with some marriages a lot of the time. I interbred with the Kombenoi so much early on that I had an inbred second son. Wait till Edessa is grabbed by the Rum Seljuks, then take it when they are bogged down in a war with the Romans. That's almost all Armenian. Mesopatamia and Antioch can be grabbed pretty quickly.

Why do some people insist on calling the Comnen dynasty "Komnenoi", but every non-Byzantine dynasty is referred to by their anglicized name (e.g. noone is playing "Piastowie" or "Přemyslovci")? This sounds like a silly fanboy shit.

Same goes for referring to the Byzantines as "Romans".

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on October 19, 2012, 11:50:59 AM
So, is it fun?

After playing it some, I have the same kind of feeling as with the Sword of Islam - i.e. as far as I am concerned, the patch features are more fun than the DLC features.

Your mileage may vary, but when it comes to middle ages, I have always had the biggest fanboy boner for the Crusades, the struggle between the Pope and the Emperor and the Hundred Years War. So I'm not really that excited to play either the Muslims or, in this case, the Byzantines. From that perspective, the cool additions (such as the factions system) come free with the patch.

Still, I bought the DLCs, because I want to support Paradox with the development of their best game to date. The price of the DLC is about that of a McDonald's meal, so I can't see how anyone could not afford it.

Martinus

And since one of my favourite type of games in CK2 has been to play as a French, a German or an Italian Duke and carve a kingdom out for myself, the faction system sounds like a great way to improve that, since now it seems like the sovereigns should really fear the revolts.

Fireblade

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2012, 02:06:10 AM
Still, I bought the DLCs, because I want to support Paradox with the development of their best game to date. The price of the DLC is about that of a McDonald's meal, so I can't see how anyone could not afford it.

Tamas told me he pirated it because he was too poor to buy it.

Apparently, Paradox wouldn't barter the DLC for a handful of beets and a chicken he stole from his neighbors.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2012, 01:54:44 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 02:48:02 PM

Why do some people insist on calling the Comnen dynasty "Komnenoi", but every non-Byzantine dynasty is referred to by their anglicized name (e.g. noone is playing "Piastowie" or "Přemyslovci")? This sounds like a silly fanboy shit.

Both are equally valid among historians, as long as you are consitent within the same work.

Tamas

Quote from: Fireblade on October 20, 2012, 08:52:29 AM

Tamas told me he pirated it because he was too poor to buy it.

Apparently, Paradox wouldn't barter the DLC for a handful of beets and a chicken he stole from his neighbors.

Oh ha-ha! Have you cleaned up the library toilets yet? :P

Zanza

After playing it some, I have the same kind of feeling as with the Sword of Islam - i.e. as far as I am concerned, the patch features are more fun than the DLC features.

Your mileage may vary, but when it comes to middle ages, I have always had the biggest fanboy boner for the Crusades, the struggle between the Pope and the Emperor and the Hundred Years War. So I'm not really that excited to play either the Muslims or, in this case, the Byzantines. From that perspective, the cool additions (such as the factions system) come free with the patch.

Same impression for me. I can understand why they did SoI and LoR, but why an African Unit Pack and stuff like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to put more detail into Western/Central Europe? I assume that's where most players will play...

Tamas

You would think so right? Yet the forum is full of OMG I CAN'T WC WITH ETHIOPIA, GAME IS BROKEN PARADOX I WANT A REFUND! threads

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2012, 05:03:31 AM
You would think so right? Yet the forum is full of OMG I CAN'T WC WITH ETHIOPIA, GAME IS BROKEN PARADOX I WANT A REFUND! threads
Someone should inform that Haile Selassie didn't get his money back either, nor that he received patches to adress the issue.  <_<

Drakken

I don't know why people complain about the factions system, I can manage it fine. And I play with France, with super-vassals that could destroy me and take my crown any time they want.

Faeelin

What do you do?

I will say the Byzantine music is wonderful.