And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on October 18, 2012, 10:56:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2012, 10:12:18 AM
Sure they did. Not sure why that's worthy of a special CB though.

I would really be interested in knowing about the Byzantine view of a just war.

Holy War, Jihad, Crusades; these were all considered proper in societies at the time. Same for claiming your title. But the Byzantines spent this period mostly on the defensive, so when did they view offensive wars as okay?

In the case of Hungary, it looks like Byzantine marched on them because Hungary was causing Byzantines issues with their incessant raids.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Manuel I was half-Hungarian, as his mother was 'Eirene' Arpad.  He conquered all of modern Croatia and Bosnia from the Hungarians.  He tried to marry the Hungarian heir to his daughter in an attempt to unify the houses of Arpad and Komnenos, but like everything else he fucked it up badly.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

Ya know, that really shows the decline in Byzantine Power.  A marriage to Charlemagne wasn't possible, but by the 12th century they're marrying Hungarians. And thankful for it.

Queequeg

Quote from: Faeelin on October 18, 2012, 11:31:57 AM
Ya know, that really shows the decline in Byzantine Power.  A marriage to Charlemagne wasn't possible, but by the 12th century they're marrying Hungarians. And thankful for it.
Actually the opposite is true.  Manuel was able to project power across the entire Eastern Mediterannean, and the Empire was probably comparable in power to the Ottoman Empire around 1500.  Hungary and most of the Outremer states were effective vassals.  If he hadn't been such a vainglorious, Latin-loving pissant, the Empire could have pretty easily solidified it's unipolar status.   

Hungary was also a pretty substantial state at this point.  The Hunyadis were some of the most powerful monarchs in Eastern and Central Europe, and the Arpads weren't lightweights either.  TBH, Corvinus Matyas and Hunyadi Janos are some of my favorite characters in late Medieval Europe. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Faeelin

I wasn't aware the Ottomans didn't control Anatolia in 1500.

Queequeg

They didn't have the same degree of control over the Levant or the Balkans that the Komnenoi did, and in 1500 the Ottoman position in Anatolia was pretty fluid.   For most of his reign, Manuel held control over the regions of Anatolia that were most hospitable to a relatively strict agriculturalist lifestyle.

People don't realize this, but the Ottoman heartland was Rumelia.  Anatolia was extremely chaotic.  The Turkmen/proto-Yoruk and Kurdish tribes were difficult to control at best, and frequently sided with the Safavids or turned to banditry during the 16th Century.  The Ottomans also generally respected more elements of the pre-existing Turkic nobility and administration than the gavur nobles in the Balkans, making governance of the region relatively complex.

Tamas

how do I revoke an honorary title? my firstborn wasn't born in the purple so I made him despot, but he turned out to be a faggot :P

Habbaku

I started a new game up as one of the Armenian duchies.

That didn't last long.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 18, 2012, 01:31:19 PM
how do I revoke an honorary title? my firstborn wasn't born in the purple so I made him despot, but he turned out to be a faggot :P

What's wrong with being a despotic faggot? It works for me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on October 18, 2012, 01:39:01 PM

That didn't last long.
As the Ruebenids? That's my favorite scenario.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 02:14:15 PM

That didn't last long.

Are they Ruebenid on the bitch?

Queequeg

That's not English, Martinus.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 02:21:46 PM
That's not English, Martinus.

You don't know the famous Languish meme about Kenny "being rubbed on the bitch"? :P

Habbaku

That didn't last long.

Yeah.  Seems the only way to survive is to immediately pledge fealty to someone, else you get smashed by the Muslims around you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on October 18, 2012, 02:27:34 PM

That didn't last long.

Yeah.  Seems the only way to survive is to immediately pledge fealty to someone, else you get smashed by the Muslims around you.

That's how you play Apulia too.