News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Have they got around to announcing their next DLCs yet?

Faeelin

Also, is it just me or is it never worth putting another family member in a duchy? They just become a pretender who rises up when your character dies.

Tamas

Quote from: Faeelin on July 16, 2012, 09:05:33 AM
Also, is it just me or is it never worth putting another family member in a duchy? They just become a pretender who rises up when your character dies.

correct.

it is less clear when ruling a huge-ass muslim realm, but a given for christians. the prestige penalty for unlanded sons is totally laughable compared to the troubles you end up facing if giving land to future pretenders

Martinus

I thought that marrying off my extra sons to distant duchessess of foreign realms was a good idea to get rid of the unlanded sons bonus with no malus of them starting a succession war... until I got DoWed (as England) by my apparent nephew, the Holy Roman Emperor, with a claim on the English crown.  :Embarrass:

Martinus

Incidentally, not giving land to your spare sons is not a surefire way to prevent them from raising a rebellion - in most of my games, they seem to flee the court to my powerful vassals as soon as the dad croaks, and start a rebellion from there.  :homestar:

Martinus

Btw, which succession laws do you guys normally run?

I used to think that Primogeniture is the best but it's a surefire way for a succession crisis every generation. Gavelkind, on the other way makes you lose the provinces you took time to develop during your reign. Has anyone tried Seniority?

garbon

Seniority is the worst as you perpetually have to deal with the short reign bonus.

Typically, I stay with gavelkind and just make sure to have one core duchy for my heir every time. When rowdy, sometimes I switch to elective.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Primogeneture - I sort of need those civil wars each generation to make sure that each king has a full set of dukes and counts that got their titles from the king and therefore are very loyal. If the dukes don't revolt every other generation then they build up superdutchies. On average medieval families ran out of male line heirs every three generations, each time that happens to a duke you get a superdutchy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 16, 2012, 09:45:38 AM
Primogeneture - I sort of need those civil wars each generation to make sure that each king has a full set of dukes and counts that got their titles from the king and therefore are very loyal. If the dukes don't revolt every other generation then they build up superdutchies. On average medieval families ran out of male line heirs every three generations, each time that happens to a duke you get a superdutchy.

How do you get all the counties and duchies from the rebellious Dukes? I think you can only revoke one title from traitors - everything else carries a relationship penalty for the entire realm.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2012, 09:33:11 AM
Seniority is the worst as you perpetually have to deal with the short reign bonus.

Typically, I stay with gavelkind and just make sure to have one core duchy for my heir every time. When rowdy, sometimes I switch to elective.
You don't see many rebellions though, at least in my experience.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Octavian

Are you guys using any mods?
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 16, 2012, 10:25:07 AM

How do you get all the counties and duchies from the rebellious Dukes? I think you can only revoke one title from traitors - everything else carries a relationship penalty for the entire realm.

I just revoke the duchy title and give it to on of the rebellious dukes counts. When you are established just release the traitor, then revoke a title. They will refuse and revolt causing you no harm. You'll be fighting one duke and you can revoke any all titles over time. I once released one super duchess 8 times revoking titles again and again until the duchess finally acquiesced.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2012, 04:31:07 AM

I just revoke the duchy title and give it to on of the rebellious dukes counts. When you are established just release the traitor, then revoke a title. They will refuse and revolt causing you no harm. You'll be fighting one duke and you can revoke any all titles over time. I once released one super duchess 8 times revoking titles again and again until the duchess finally acquiesced.

I think they won't revolt when they have a truce with you so you need to wait 10 years between each revocation? Or am I wrong?

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2012, 04:39:56 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2012, 04:31:07 AM

I think they won't revolt when they have a truce with you so you need to wait 10 years between each revocation? Or am I wrong?

nope.. they revolt when you revoke their titles regardless of truce status.

garbon

Quote from: Octavian on July 18, 2012, 03:07:24 AM
Are you guys using any mods?

Nope. Well I used the GoT one once but it kinda felt a little dull after Robert's Rebellion. Haven't tried any of the other mods as there seem to be so many of them and I haven't felt that I wanted to take the time to figure out what each does.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.