News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Faeelin on June 05, 2012, 11:42:55 AM
Apparently powerful English monarchs calling themselves emperor a century before and a century after the period are not signs of any continuous thoughts.

In this particular case, they aren't.

Athelstan adopted the styling of imperial title after the Carolingians went defunct but it did not signify any fundamental constitutional change nor as pointed out any recognition of that status by other sovereigns; he might as well have insisted everyone call him "grand-high poobah" (and who knows maybe one the more eccentric Anglo-Saxons did).

The line from the Henry VIII era comes from the key legislative act severing the link with Rome, and thus represented a very significant break with the past, not continuity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fireblade

It'd be nice if there were some sort of mechanism to vassalize a king, if you're a king yourself. i.e. The English being overlords of the Scots for, well, most of the time period, the King of Aragon over the King of Mallorca, etc.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2012, 09:46:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 05, 2012, 09:04:31 AM
I think all the english kings between the harrowing of the north and bannockburn considered themselves overlords of scotland.

Æthelstan of Northumbria styled himself totius rex Brittanniae

I know it was a title tossed around during Anglo-Saxon days but that is pre this era.

And while there was some assertion that the Scottish King was a vassal of the English King but they were pretty flexible with that.  Plenty of times they negotiated with the Scottish King as an equal and even when they didn't they usually did not do anything to get the Scots pissed off.  And Edward I's plot and Edward II blowing it was an aberration, a dramatic shift for the worse, in Anglo-Scot relations not something typical of what happened from the Harrowing to Bannockburn.

So it is sort of like the Holy Roman Emperor sorta kinda claiming overlordship of all of Catholicism.  Yes he did claim that, technically, but he still does not get de jure rights over all of Catholic Europe.
All hail Imperator totius Hispaniae!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator_totius_Hispaniae

EDIT: Crap, beaten like Roz
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Hey...where'd my reply go...I said;
it sucks the way CK2 keeps things in a strict straight jacket only with the extra layers of emperors and barons thrown in.
It really should be possible for a king to vassalise a king.
Hell, its feasable to imagine a powerful enough count managing to lay the smackdown on a weakened Byzantium but not having any right to the title himself instead installing a puppet.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 07, 2012, 02:59:13 AM
Hey...where'd my reply go...I said;
it sucks the way CK2 keeps things in a strict straight jacket only with the extra layers of emperors and barons thrown in.
It really should be possible for a king to vassalise a king.
Hell, its feasable to imagine a powerful enough count managing to lay the smackdown on a weakened Byzantium but not having any right to the title himself instead installing a puppet.

Necessary for gameplay.

In the real Middle Ages the rules were just sorta conventions...but to have a game you need rules.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2012, 08:21:54 AM
Necessary for gameplay.

In the real Middle Ages the rules were just sorta conventions...but to have a game you need rules.

Some sort of title for kings of kings. Perhaps for a powerful player whose predecessors called themselves the Baseiloi of Britain.  Hrm. What would it be?

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on June 07, 2012, 09:18:05 AM
Some sort of title for kings of kings. Perhaps for a powerful player whose predecessors called themselves the Baseiloi of Britain.  Hrm. What would it be?

If a player is so powerful he should be able to do what Edward I tried to do and get the Scottish crown himself.

Maybe there should an Emperor of Ireland to since all those guys had Kings as vassals.

sbr

Martinus

Check out the last dev diary for Sword of Islam. The decadence mechanics for muslims looks cool and I really like the strong and weak claims.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2012, 03:28:32 AM
Check out the last dev diary for Sword of Islam. The decadence mechanics for muslims looks cool and I really like the strong and weak claims.

Yes, it appears Muslims will be sufficiently unique, and the general 1.06 improvements also look great.

I am almost ready to declare this the best Paradox game ever.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Octavian

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2012, 03:33:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2012, 03:28:32 AM

Yes, it appears Muslims will be sufficiently unique, and the general 1.06 improvements also look great.

I am almost ready to declare this the best Paradox game ever.

Well I think it is.

The map look great. Hardly any crashes and fun gameplay out of the box.

What other Paradox game can say the same?
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2012, 03:33:40 AMI am almost ready to declare this the best Paradox game ever.

Better than EU 3? Let's not get carried away.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.