Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 09, 2012, 05:24:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2012, 02:49:55 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2012, 12:25:12 AM
Dynamic kingdoms....awesome. Thats what I've wanted from the start.

With this and the new crusader setting...is it just me or is the game finally getting to how it should have been on release?

Well from those two, based on the little info we have, what I can see is de jure HRE Egypt by the late 1100s in every game.

that woudl be a win for Egypt then.

That and the same de jure kingdom of sicily stretching from the pyrenees to the bosphorus.. the long way round...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

If duchies become de jure parts of another kingdom, does it make it easier to form the previous de jure kingdom as the total de jure province count would go down? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2012, 07:57:16 AM
If duchies become de jure parts of another kingdom, does it make it easier to form the previous de jure kingdom as the total de jure province count would go down? :hmm:

If half a duchy becomes part of another kingdom does the duchy it is part of count 1/2 or 1/3 or does it count in neither or both?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 09, 2012, 08:31:44 AM

If half a duchy becomes part of another kingdom does the duchy it is part of count 1/2 or 1/3 or does it count in neither or both?

I'm wondering if they limit it so that you have to own the full duchy - 100 years for it to convert.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on April 09, 2012, 08:31:44 AM

I would assume it goes to the kingdom which has the duchy title holder as its vassal - the exact provinces don't count. (I don't think they will want to split duchies like that).

Obviously, if the duchy title holder only holds 1/2 of the de jure duchy's provinces or less, the title will constantly get usurped and the 100 years threshold will not be met.

jimmy olsen

Aquitaine and Brittany being kingdoms will cripple France.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2012, 04:46:27 AM

yeah, that is totally unhistorical and would never have happened..

Martinus

Not really. Brittany is already an independent Duchy (has never been a part of France in CK2), and I presume Aquitaine will start as a part of France, with just the creatable royal title (which will be, presumedly, created by the King of France, since vassals of Kings cannot create Kingdoms without going to war).

So I don't see an issue, except for a potential rebellion from the Dukes of Aquitaine ever so often to declare independence. And if you play as France and want Aquitaine to be part of France, de jure, don't create the Kingdom of Aquitaine but simply wait 100 years with them as your vassals.

Josquius

A crippled France is a good thing. CK2 France behaves like EU France...500 years too early.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

In my few games it often gets broken up. Commonly by the HRE. :(

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 09:15:12 AM

yeah :(

The HRE is the biggest problem in the game. In theory it is handled fine. In practice, it is too agressive.

Jaron

I haven't played since February, but at that time both France and HRE were constantly conquering vast parts of Spain (once the Christian kingdoms croaked) and the HRE would always conquer Italy and North Africa (and sometimes Aquitaine)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2012, 09:16:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 09:15:12 AM

yeah :(

The HRE is the biggest problem in the game. In theory it is handled fine. In practice, it is too agressive.

Well it certainly struggles from the fact that now vassals aren't asked to hand over the troops (was an annoying mechanic some I'm glad its gone) and the percentage of troops it can call from them all is still pretty high.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Viking on April 10, 2012, 04:49:26 AM

yeah, that is totally unhistorical and would never have happened..

Two things:

- Despite what you see on  the map, the land in France  [Brittany was not France] WAS De Jure France, not England. Which is why Philip Augustus was able to attack the Angevins and yank Normandy and Anjou from them. If it were De Jure England [or Aquitania, any crown the French monarch would not have a claim on], France would be hosed.

- France WAS crippled by that collection of territories. Which is why their recovery was priorities 1, 2 and 3 for the French monarchs in that time. It tends to happen, too (not necessarily by the English, but others), so France should have a De Jure way to defend what is hers.

Quote from: Jaron
I haven't played since February, but at that time both France and HRE were constantly conquering vast parts of Spain (once the Christian kingdoms croaked) and the HRE would always conquer Italy and North Africa (and sometimes Aquitaine)

Iberia is severely broken.

Because of their rather PC obsession that "Muslims were very advanced and Christians were dirty and ignorant", Paradox always gives insane economic tech to Muslims at the start of the game (a 300 year lead vs. the Christians, to be accurate). The result is that they field massive armies that curbstomp the Iberian Christians, then move on  to attack France and the HRE (in Provence or Apulia). The result is that then the big boys then switch attention to the area and invade Iberia, instead of concentrating on crusading or fighting each other, as they should.

Also, they're obsessed with the idea that any muslim area is totally islamic, when in reality most of the population in Iberia was Christian (all provinces should be catholic, that was one of the great problems of Muslim rulers in the area, they had unreliable populations and few troops they could actually trust against the Christian Kingdoms). So Iberia is hugely skewed to Islam and doesn't act anything like the real thing (in 1066 the Christians were militarily quite dominant over the Muslims).

garbon

Martim, you are simplifying the issue in Iberia and it is something that Minsky talked about early in this thread. If you stick to the Christians historical strengths, you'd see no muslim states in Iberia by the time the 11th century rolls around. Like M suggested there needs to be some manner of keeping everyone in that peninsula at each others's throats so that no one side becomes dominant, too early on.