And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pedrito on April 03, 2012, 03:17:18 AM
I have an inheritance issue:

My toon, during his 60+ years reign, conquered the throne of England. After finally kicking, his son inherited the throne and some lesser titles; the guy is 45, his son is 25 and his male nephew is 7.
The strange thing is that the inheritance line for the kingdom, after the actual king, has the nephew in first position, instead of the son: why so?

L.
Wait a few months and it should shift back. Sometimes it's a bit laggy with figuring out the correct heirs.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Vassals are dicks. You would think if I pick some random dude from the court with high loyalty and elevate him from the gutter to a five province dukedom he'd be grateful enough to wait longer than four months to declare war on me. I mean, it's like the guy won the lottery. It should be at least five years before he decides to bite the hand that feeds him.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Ok, my current game feels like playing threedimensional speed chess.

After a number of succession wars under  Piasts, I managed to unite the crowns of Poland, Lithuania, Rus, Hungary and Bohemia under one rule.

My current ruler is Ryksa I the Chaste, the Warrior Queen - she is a Brilliant Strategist, Kind, Chaste, Gregarious, Brave and Diligent.

The problem begins with succession...

Poland and Rus are Elective (and both below the Authority level allowing to switch to Primogeniture in this generation), Lithuania is Primogeniture, both Bohemia and Hungary are Seniority (with Hungary also below the Authority level to switch to Primogeniture). 

Queen Ryksa has only one son, Prince Odon, who happens to be Cruel, Misguided Warrior, Proud, Deceitful, and Craven. In short, a rather tough sell in the Elective monarchies.

She also has two younger half-brothers - one a Duke of Masovia and Pommerania and the other a Duke of Silesia and Bohemia; and a brother in law, Duke Yaroslav Rurikovich - of Smolensk, Kiev, Vitebsk, Polotosk, Novgorod and Vladimir - and no doubt the most powerful lord in Rus, if not the entire realm.

The lords of Poland want to vote for her youngest brother. The lords of Rus for her brother-in-law. Her son stands to inherit Lithuania. Hungary and Bohemia go to her middle brother by Seniority law.

How the fuck do I keep this all united?

One scenario I am considering is switching everything to Elective and then picking one candidate in all (probably my brother rather than my son) and hope for the best. Rinse repeat for a few generations, until I can switch to Primogeniture everywhere.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh, and of course, she is a foreign woman to most of her vassals (and a heathen, being Catholic, to many) so they hate her guts despite all these good qualities.  <_<

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 03, 2012, 01:25:51 PM
Vassals are dicks. You would think if I pick some random dude from the court with high loyalty and elevate him from the gutter to a five province dukedom he'd be grateful enough to wait longer than four months to declare war on me. I mean, it's like the guy won the lottery. It should be at least five years before he decides to bite the hand that feeds him.  :lol:
Give him the provinces one by one and then make him Duke. 5 * 40 + 60 = +260 positive modifier. He shouldn't rebel with that even if you're a kinslaying heretic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2012, 05:07:33 PM
Ok, my current game feels like playing threedimensional speed chess.

After a number of succession wars under  Piasts, I managed to unite the crowns of Poland, Lithuania, Rus, Hungary and Bohemia under one rule.

My current ruler is Ryksa I the Chaste, the Warrior Queen - she is a Brilliant Strategist, Kind, Chaste, Gregarious, Brave and Diligent.

The problem begins with succession...

Poland and Rus are Elective (and both below the Authority level allowing to switch to Primogeniture in this generation), Lithuania is Primogeniture, both Bohemia and Hungary are Seniority (with Hungary also below the Authority level to switch to Primogeniture). 

Queen Ryksa has only one son, Prince Odon, who happens to be Cruel, Misguided Warrior, Proud, Deceitful, and Craven. In short, a rather tough sell in the Elective monarchies.

She also has two younger half-brothers - one a Duke of Masovia and Pommerania and the other a Duke of Silesia and Bohemia; and a brother in law, Duke Yaroslav Rurikovich - of Smolensk, Kiev, Vitebsk, Polotosk, Novgorod and Vladimir - and no doubt the most powerful lord in Rus, if not the entire realm.

The lords of Poland want to vote for her youngest brother. The lords of Rus for her brother-in-law. Her son stands to inherit Lithuania. Hungary and Bohemia go to her middle brother by Seniority law.

How the fuck do I keep this all united?

One scenario I am considering is switching everything to Elective and then picking one candidate in all (probably my brother rather than my son) and hope for the best. Rinse repeat for a few generations, until I can switch to Primogeniture everywhere.

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh, and of course, she is a foreign woman to most of her vassals (and a heathen, being Catholic, to many) so they hate her guts despite all these good qualities.  <_<

Why would you want to keep it together?  You'd have a fascinating collapse of a polity that, in the period, would most certainly collapse.  You are too big right now for any foreign enemy to be a threat, anyway.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

That actually sounds like a wonderful opportunity.  Besides Rus', they look just about all evenly matched.   And they'll all be at eachother's throats within months of the Soldier Queen dying. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pedrito

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2012, 07:06:10 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on April 03, 2012, 03:17:18 AM
I have an inheritance issue:

My toon, during his 60+ years reign, conquered the throne of England. After finally kicking, his son inherited the throne and some lesser titles; the guy is 45, his son is 25 and his male nephew is 7.
The strange thing is that the inheritance line for the kingdom, after the actual king, has the nephew in first position, instead of the son: why so?

L.
Wait a few months and it should shift back. Sometimes it's a bit laggy with figuring out the correct heirs.
Reloading the last save restored the correct inheritance order.

BTW, the guy's already dead and reigned only 5 years, after his father's 68 years  :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Martinus

So the Warrior Queen ended up imprisoning and murdering her middle brother, Kazimierz (he turned out to be a Paranoid Cruel Impaler nutcase, Mad King style) and switching to Seniority everywhere, with her youngest brother, Boleslaw (all good traits like her) standing to inherit. The powerful Duke in the Rus now has a permanent residence in a Krakow castle's oubliette, just as pretty much everyone who was unhappy with removing the Elective system in Rus, Poland and Lithuania.

The disappointment of a son has also been stripped of his titles so he does not cause trouble upon succession.

The future looks bright for the Piast empire.

In fact, I may end up using Seniority for a while, as the Piast dynasty is not as extensive as, say, Rurikovichs or de Hautevilles (I think there are only 5 male members or so in total alive right now), so there is no risk of some far flung Duke of Flea Bottom ending up on the royal throne.

Martinus

Btw, does anyone know if people you have in your dungeon that end up inheriting a title automatically get released? I know that's the case when they are inheriting your primary title (i.e. become the new "you") but what about a situation like mine, but with, say, Gavelkind, if one brother inherits Poland and another Hungary and the Hungarian one was in Polish prison prior to the inheritance? I hope he stays in the dungeon - this means I could then immediately declar war on him and force him to give up his crown - since as an imprisoned ruler, that should count as instant 100% war score, right?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2012, 04:47:41 AM
Btw, does anyone know if people you have in your dungeon that end up inheriting a title automatically get released? I know that's the case when they are inheriting your primary title (i.e. become the new "you") but what about a situation like mine, but with, say, Gavelkind, if one brother inherits Poland and another Hungary and the Hungarian one was in Polish prison prior to the inheritance? I hope he stays in the dungeon - this means I could then immediately declar war on him and force him to give up his crown - since as an imprisoned ruler, that should count as instant 100% war score, right?
The HRE elected a Duke that was in someone's dungeon and he spent his whole 7-8 year reign there so I'm pretty sure they don't.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2012, 03:32:43 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 02, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Anybody throw their daughter into the fissure in the earth? I sent that bitch straight to Hell.

Keep the thread on topic, please.

:lol:

sbr

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 05, 2012, 05:26:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2012, 03:32:43 AM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 02, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Anybody throw their daughter into the fissure in the earth? I sent that bitch straight to Hell.

Keep the thread on topic, please.

Not sure how I missed that the first time.

MadImmortalMan

So give me some tips on preparing for the death of my king and the transition to the heir. I seem to be terrible at preventing wars at succession time. Everyone always turns on me, even if all the dukes have high loyalty at the time of death.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Anyone have any tips on how long it takes to totally restore levies? I am looking at 10 years of peace after I finally unify all of Armenia under Queen Shoushan.

Habbaku

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?598993-CK-II-1.05-Development-Diary-2-of-3-April-6th-2012

QuoteHello everybody and welcome to the second development diary about the 1.05 patch. Last week we talked about the revised crusade system and all the new features supporting it. Now we have come to discuss something that may be a surprise to some.

1.05 is introducing a concept called Dynamic Kingdoms. The original release introduced the concept of de-jure kingdoms, but they were 100% static, and each province belonged to a kingdom from the start to the end of the game. While this system had its advantages, there were some slight drawbacks to it, and we wanted to improve upon it.

The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy. This also makes the unification of Spain, as one Kingdom, a long-term practical goal

We also introduced the concept of creating titular titles, if you hold the scripted capital. Titular titles are more expensive to create than titles that have land already de-jure to them. This means that you can now create the Kingdom of Venice if you so desire..

We have also added quite a lot of kingdoms to the map from the start, so that some of the major ones like France and Germany are slightly less powerful blocks at the start of the game. Frisia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Pomerania, Aquitaine and Britanny are now de jure kingdoms from 1066, even if they are not actual titles held by someone. If they are not created and held by someone they will eventually be assimilated.

Some changes to kingdom setup also include Galicia and Navarre being de jure kingdoms, and the kingdom of Al-Andalus is now called Andalusia and can be created by anyone in the Arabic culture group.

An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king.

Kings and Emperors can now also take counties inside their de-jure realms, as we changed how Ducal Claims work to now be a "De Jure Claim", so if you as King of Burgundy holds a province that is de jure France, France can always attack you for it.

I have to apologise for the lack of screenshot in this development diary, but I am writing it from home, as its a holiday week.

Enjoy, and you'll see more details next week.. where we may finally be more shady!

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien