News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Pedrito on March 15, 2012, 06:08:36 PM
Oh,and another thing: is there a way to scroll sideways the realm and dynasty trees? I'm getting mad

L.

Right button, though it isnt great
██████
██████
██████

JonasSalk

Quote from: Pedrito on March 15, 2012, 06:08:36 PM
Oh,and another thing: is there a way to scroll sideways the realm and dynasty trees? I'm getting mad

L.

Right-click, hold and drag about.
Yuman

jimmy olsen

Italians get to build a special pikemen barrack in CK2, but if you build it you lose cavalry men in exchange. Which is better? Horse or pike? Or should I have some castles specialize in producing one, and some the other.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Pike gets bonuses in hills and mountains. Cav is used for running down fleeing enemies.

There may be more. There may be a cavalry charge tactic, but I haven't seen it much and I'm not sure how effective light cav would be in that anyway.

Maximus

Skimming the tactics file it looks like in addition to the terrain bonus the pikes gets a fairly strong charge-negating tactic. Light cav is not involved in the charge, that is heavy infantry, heavy cav and horse archers. Light cav seems to be mostly harass and raid tactics. I don't know enough about the system to know how effective that is.

Valmy

My main experience of warfare in CK2 is that naval power is way overpowered, so long as you have enough ships you are all but unbeatable in coastal provinces.  As soon as you see an enemy army either heading to or is presently on a coastal province you can rush in superior forces and crush them in days whereas it would take weeks to get there overland.  Also superior numbers seems to trump all.  I hardly ever worry about leadership, terrain, and troop composition anymore.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Pedrito

Quote from: Pedrito on March 15, 2012, 06:31:00 PM
Problem almost solved: my heir probably assassinated my second son  :cry:

Now the third son is starting to tremble  :lol:

L.
Ok, so this happened in December 1172; in March 1173 my steward and chancellor die the same day  :hmm:;

then, in June of the same year, my own Duchess Ealdgyth I of York dies  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Long live my son, Duke Ferant I of York, not yet dubbed "The Kinslayer", but very close to get the title  :lol:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Valmy

Funny story in that vein.  I was working on getting the Kingdom of Croatia in my dynasty so, amongst other irons in the fire, my second son married the King's eldest daughter.  They kept churning out sons but the boys kept getting wacked by some mysterious assassin and I presumed it was the King of Croatia himself wisely keeping the brats from having claims when he died (or some other member of his dynasty like one of his sons).  Instead right before I died my own freaking eldest son was caught killing the latest one.

Damn.  Own-goaled.  Not only did my own freaking kid destroy my dynastic plans but I soon had a notoious Kinslayer taking over the reigns of state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2012, 05:08:46 AM
Italians get to build a special pikemen barrack in CK2, but if you build it you lose cavalry men in exchange. Which is better? Horse or pike? Or should I have some castles specialize in producing one, and some the other.

Don't you just lose a few cavary in exchange for a lot of pikemen?
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2012, 10:45:42 AM
Damn.  Own-goaled.  Not only did my own freaking kid destroy my dynastic plans but I soon had a notoious Kinslayer taking over the reigns of state.

My Duke of Swabia married a tart from Venice who liked to off her own kids, brothers and sisters, husbands, and family pets.  Still, she had a genius son before I locked her up and threw away the key...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2012, 10:32:28 AM
My main experience of warfare in CK2 is that naval power is way overpowered, so long as you have enough ships you are all but unbeatable in coastal provinces.  As soon as you see an enemy army either heading to or is presently on a coastal province you can rush in superior forces and crush them in days whereas it would take weeks to get there overland.  Also superior numbers seems to trump all.  I hardly ever worry about leadership, terrain, and troop composition anymore.

No joke.  (Well, I think that's fine for naval, or would be if you could interdict.)  But the only thing I ever even deign to look at is numbers.

I think it's part of the reason Mauretania can be and HRE is such a Death Star.  They can wage offensive wars in Spain or the Alps and win easily, and no upstart "strategic genius" can outcompete raw manpower.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

I have a claim on the Duchy of Spelleto. (1l or 2?)

Will the Pope automatically excommunicate me if DOW him?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Nah.  He didn't when I kicked his ass as Mathilda of Tuscany, anyway.

He only excommunicates you when your broke-ass duke getting his shit packed in the oubliette for raising a theologically invalid rebellion and who inherited his title from his heretic father asks him to.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Is it me, or is "Defending the Faith" a pointless casus belli?  Knock the muslims around for a while and get nothing for it but some petty prestige?

Maximus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 17, 2012, 01:09:52 PM
Is it me, or is "Defending the Faith" a pointless casus belli?  Knock the muslims around for a while and get nothing for it but some petty prestige?
It enables you to come to the aid of beleaguered Iberian kingdoms. It's not that effective though. As soon as your ruler dies the war ends, you abandon all the holdings you've taken, and you have to send all your levies home and disband them before you can re-enter the war.