News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

After some issues with Primogeniture, I am thinking if Agnatic Seniority would be a way to go as a way of keeping a large kingdom together. It allows you to make your kinsmen your vassals so that's an extra relationship bonus, but since everyone has in theory a chance of gaining the throne, there should be less direct backstabbing. Plus since rulers will be on average succeeding to the throne at an old age, there will be less issue with long reign of incompetents.

Ideologue

I had a much more stable country in my Tuscany game with seniority than with primogeniture in my Denmark game.

I keep getting rebelling vassals but when I throw them in gaol I can't revoke their titles without provoking others, even though they're traitors.  Shouldn't absolute crown authority just let me kill these motherfuckers if I want to?  That's what "absolute" means.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 12, 2012, 03:00:25 PM
I had a much more stable country in my Tuscany game with seniority than with primogeniture in my Denmark game.

I keep getting rebelling vassals but when I throw them in gaol I can't revoke their titles without provoking others, even though they're traitors.  Shouldn't absolute crown authority just let me kill these motherfuckers if I want to?  That's what "absolute" means.

If your vassal rebels, you can revoke one title from them for "free" without causing damage to your relationship with other vassals - the crown authority has nothing to do with it (i.e. even if you are powerful, you are still going to be regarded as a tyrant if you revoke too many or execute them).

If you are having trouble with a vassal, just revoke one title from him after putting him in the gaol and keep him there (throwing him into the oubliette when he complains) - that way he will eventually die and be replaced by some hapless kid of his.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on March 08, 2012, 09:59:58 AM
Yep, thanks to an unfortunate choice in mentors Sicily is now ruled by a despot.

Should be "tyrant" for a classical feel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2012, 12:16:20 PM
So I decided on a calm game after beig a vassal of the HRE for the whole duration on my previous game. I picked the count of Adgers in Norway, direct vassal of the king, and 16 year old/unmarried.

The Norwegian crown quickly descended into chaos, the Duke of Brunswick laid claim on the title and pulled a Weserübung 850 years early. It's 1100 and Norway is part of the HRE.  <_<
Is the only way for countries to join the HRE through conquest? What if a de jure vassal of the Emperor inherits an outside Kingdom?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2012, 05:00:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 12, 2012, 03:00:25 PM

If your vassal rebels, you can revoke one title from them for "free" without causing damage to your relationship with other vassals - the crown authority has nothing to do with it (i.e. even if you are powerful, you are still going to be regarded as a tyrant if you revoke too many or execute them).

If you are having trouble with a vassal, just revoke one title from him after putting him in the gaol and keep him there (throwing him into the oubliette when he complains) - that way he will eventually die and be replaced by some hapless kid of his.

No, I know--it was weird, it wouldn't let me revoke even that one title for free.

I dunno, maybe  I was confusing the ones I white peaced with the ones I imprisoned.

Also, it's really frustrating how perseverant some of those assholes can be.  You'd think they were fighting for their lives, which they technically should be, but executing them isn't really an option.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

I was having the same problem last week, there is definitely something going on with revoking titles from some rebellous vassals.

Tonitrus

From my Abyssinian game...

Zeina the Great, lesbian queen of Abyssinia still rules at a ripe 78 years old (she was a hottie back in the day)...after just annexing the Nile delta region (as always, while the Caliphate was busy with rebels and crusaders).  She didn't even want Cyrenaica, but her son, the Duke of Alexandria decided he did.

You can see the Mongols are just starting to peek into the game, Byzantium is still strong, the HRE basically rules Spain, and the royal family of England had apparently decided to conquer over Andalusia and Morocco* so that they can move the throne south and rule from warmer, less foggy climes.

*much of Morocco has also been Catholocized and cross-bred into English.

Faeelin

Quote from: sbr on March 12, 2012, 10:33:07 PM
I was having the same problem last week, there is definitely something going on with revoking titles from some rebellous vassals.

What authority do you have?

Josquius

QuoteZeina the Great, lesbian queen of Abyssinia still rules at a ripe 78 years old (she was a hottie back in the day)...after just annexing the Nile delta region (as always, while the Caliphate was busy with rebels and crusaders).  She didn't even want Cyrenaica, but her son, the Duke of Alexandria decided he did.
How do you do that?
Doesn't declaring war on nations with rebellions always make the rebels give up and everyone concentrate on you instead?
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: TonitrusZeina the Great, lesbian queen of Abyssinia still rules at a ripe 78 years old (she was a hottie back in the day)

Not that's it's its fault, butthe game doesn't depict aging on women that uniformly so there've been a couple of times when I married some 50 year old because she looked cute. :(

RESIGN LOAD SAVE
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Oh. And. Have any decent mods appeared yet then?
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

What's decent?  There are several - BGA, CK2Wiz being the 'biggest'.  All depends what you're looking for. *shrug*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2012, 03:14:37 AM
Oh. And. Have any decent mods appeared yet then?

I'd tend towards no. I think both of those that Grallon mentioned have unsavory bits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I tend to use mini-mods - the good news is that you can pretty much mix-and-match them and use them simultaneously, so you are not required to use compilations anymore.

Right now I am mainly spending my time testing the Mac version of the game, but before the beta started, I liked the following for my Windows version:
- the rebels mod - the rebels no longer appear as an army but as a negative province modifier which can get worse in time if you leave them unattended; once the modifier is in place, you get reduced taxes and levies, plus can get nasty events for that province; to remove the modifier you either need to wait them out (provided they do not get worse) or use the Marshall function "suppress revolts" in the province; It is great if you, like me, hate the rebel whackamole of the vanilla game.
- the abdication mod - your ruler can not abdicate, which has the effect of his heir inheriting everything (but not cash!) while the ruler retires and acts like a normal NPC (whom you no longer play). It is a bit gamey if exploited but can be nice for some situations.
- if I play as the HRE/anyone in the HRE - the HRE mod which makes opposing the emperor more realistic as he is no longer a powerhouse he is in vanilla, plus it adds a decision-based event series for Rome coronation of each new emperor which significantly affects the emperor's power before and after coronation.