News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on March 03, 2012, 08:39:54 PM
Eh... the game is fun, but the HRE doomstacks make it lose some of its appeal. Why bother when you know doom follows?

Who are you playing as? If non-HRE country, this shouldn't be a problem - just avoid a direct confrontation early on. If a HRE country, then you need to bide your time, build your power base and let others fight wars with the Emperor. In my Habsburg game, I ended up being the King of Burgundy, Duke of Alsace, Austria, Thuringia, Apulia, Prussia, Franconia, Savoie and Upper Burgundy (or is it Lower?), with the Empire having Minimal Crown Authority. But it took 100 years or so.

I think people just want to take on powerhouses like France or HRE early in game and then complain if they get burned. And if the HRE attacks you early on, then you are doing something wrong. In my games as Poland or a HRE vassal, my Chancellor is almost constantly improving relations with the imperial court - in my Habsburg game, my first Duchy (Thuringia) was given to me by the emperor who simply liked me.

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2012, 04:12:49 AM...in my Habsburg game, my first Duchy (Thuringia) was given to me by the emperor who simply liked me.

Was he gay?

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on March 04, 2012, 04:38:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2012, 04:12:49 AM...in my Habsburg game, my first Duchy (Thuringia) was given to me by the emperor who simply liked me.

Was he gay?

No. The last emperor is and everyone has revolted. :P

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2012, 04:04:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 02, 2012, 12:25:20 PM
just recently the HRE had a homosexual heretic cruel slothful ruler (yeah, he does remember me someone).

WTF I'm not slothful. Now if he was arbitrary and/or wroth...

Btw, the correct expression is "reminds me of someone".

I know. :P

Solmyr

Is the Paradox forum fucked? I seem to be unable to log in. It thanks me for logging in but it doesn't actually happen.

The Brain

The mass of balkantards was finally too great so it imploded into a black hole.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Faeelin

It may be that I start in 1187. When I do that, the HRE rushes to medium authority.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2012, 04:09:04 AM
You don't need to do even this. On minor holdings (i.e. non-county capitals) you can right click on the picture of the holding and there is an icon allowing you to create a new mayor, bishop or baron out of blue - you don't need to have these people in the court to do so.

That doesn't prevent the malus for them having the wrong government type which was the complaint. ;)

In order to prevent that I can just give the city or temple to someone who already has a castle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

My son, the naive appeaser.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Doing pretty well in my Duke of Mesopotamia game. In addition to the two counties I took from Edessa, I've conquered two Duchies from Azerbaijan.

It's amazing that the Byzantines haven't fallen apart, it's almost constant civil war. I didn't realize how bad it was since I didn't pay that much attention to it when I was playing England. There's been only one big war with the Seljuks which the Emperor won early on, though the Seljuks did take one county from a rebellious Duke later on. The Seljuks have been pretty stable, you'd think they'd be more aggressive.

I've been ignoring the civil wars, staying loyal and doing my own thing. I'm going to have to spend the next 10 years or so consolidating my gains before further expansion. I only need 2 more provinces to be crowned the King of Armenia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Well, he died as court chaplain of the Piasts.

My game went pretty haywire. I was doing my thing (marrying, minding my own business, join in a crusade), when the Salian Kaiser died. His 13 year old son and heir died under mysterious circumstances a week later. Which put a Premysl Duke on the throne who had the traits greedy, ambitious, cruel, arvitrary etc. Cuddly guy. The first to go into revolt was his uncle, the King of Bohemia. Then Burgundy declared themselves independent kingdom. He brought them back in line, but for the next twenty years, the HRE was in near constant civil war. In between, the Kaiser was excommunicated, which I took as a sign to join the fray. However, the Kaiser crushed all comers (including poor little me), and revoked my claims on Lübeck which I had built up rather nicely. I started a plot to reclaim it, and had backing from the King of Burgundy and several dukes. So when the Kaiser refused my petition I decided to go to war - only to find that except for two minor dukes, all my allies deserted me.

It was a quick and bloody affair. In the end the Kaiser revoked my duchy titles and relegated me to simple count of Stetting. My son, loyal to the Usurper Kaiser, became new Duke of Pommerania and Holstein. Unfortunately, that son was not the heir, but my niece who is now a lowly Count. However, my treacherous son got his due. The Salians took back the crown in another war, and my son declared war on him - he retained his titles but is now in jail. So now I can start rebuilding my legacy from a singl county. Yeah, my (now) uncle is my liege, and my mother is Duchess of Cologne (and marrid to the King of Burgundy), but getting back into the succession lines will be tricky.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I don't bother with civil wars unless I myself have enough power to stand a chance. Otherwise I stand on the sidelines and just attack the rebel duchies that I have claims on.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Am I correct that the Medium Crown Authority's "no wars inside the realm" restriction does not apply to wars started by plots (of particular note, the "gain duchy X" plot)?  I seem to be seeing more wars inside my realm than I thought would be allowed (i.e., 0).

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on March 05, 2012, 09:45:33 AM
Am I correct that the Medium Crown Authority's "no wars inside the realm" restriction does not apply to wars started by plots (of particular note, the "gain duchy X" plot)?  I seem to be seeing more wars inside my realm than I thought would be allowed (i.e., 0).

It just means that dukes and counts don't fight each other... they just fight the king.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.