News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Btw, beyond not be able to ask for excommunications, is there really a downside to having an anti-pope? I never had anyone declare war against me over the issue and made a ton of money on all the tribute from bishops throughout my realm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I started this game around 1077 or so, so England has Normandy, and got Flanders somehow. They just used the troubled times of the new Emperor to Holy War Holland away from the Empire. First HRE territory loss I see.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2012, 03:31:22 PM
Btw, beyond not be able to ask for excommunications, is there really a downside to having an anti-pope? I never had anyone declare war against me over the issue and made a ton of money on all the tribute from bishops throughout my realm.

Eventually, Moral Authority will go down to 0%, leading to loads of heretics and a near-impossible chance to convert any provinces to your religion.  I think it may also prevent new Crusades from being called.

Having an anti-pope is great for your kingdom in the short-run, but I'm not convinced it makes sense in the long-term.  Like you, though, I definitely haven't had anyone declare war or make much of a fuss over the issue, which is a problem.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2012, 04:40:59 PM
Having an anti-pope is great for your kingdom in the short-run, but I'm not convinced it makes sense in the long-term.  Like you, though, I definitely haven't had anyone declare war or make much of a fuss over the issue, which is a problem.

Sure though the penalty to the pope is pretty small. Takes quite some time to take moral authority way down / also I've seen the anti-pope eventually vanishes. Had three succeeding anti-popes till the schism was over.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

I am going to assume that not being able to start a game as Novgorod, because it seems to be a Republic ruled by a Doge (though this seems to vanish when you're in the game as another state), is a bug.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2012, 05:28:30 PM

Sure though the penalty to the pope is pretty small. Takes quite some time to take moral authority way down / also I've seen the anti-pope eventually vanishes. Had three succeeding anti-popes till the schism was over.

Is the disappearing anti-pope based on something?  I have had multiple successions since establishing one around 1080.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

JonasSalk

Has anyone played within the HRE itself or as the Kaiser? The HRE is so large that it just seems like there is very little chance of anyone taking territory from it in the event of a war. Is the HRE supposed to be nigh-indestructible?
Yuman

Josquius

The mongols seem to be here! They're just sitting above the aral sea doing nothing though....

How do you get vassals to back your reforms? Even ones who love me won't do it..
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: JonasSalk on March 02, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
Has anyone played within the HRE itself or as the Kaiser? The HRE is so large that it just seems like there is very little chance of anyone taking territory from it in the event of a war. Is the HRE supposed to be nigh-indestructible?

I've successfully attacked the HRE from time to time. If you have a highly loyal nobility and the HRE has low loyalty you can often deploy significantly larger armies. Check in the ledger the size of armies, that is the deployable size. It's not so much a case of size, but rather the ability of the HRE to fight each civil war separately and the ease by which government reforms happen.

The model here needs some modification and I await the first mod to fix this. I've done some fixing myself but that is pretty much me making  plots, excommunications and assassination nigh on impossible.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2012, 10:08:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2012, 07:45:55 AM
Is there any point to continuing to play as England after unifying the British isles?

My overseas holdings seem to revolt every time the King dies, even states that will be doomed without my protection. <_<

I guess I do not understand the question.  Is the only point in your playing to conquer more stuff?  If  it is you might want to conspire to get the Imperial Crown then.
First goal is to keep what I have, second goal is to get more land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNDzbFv2f8

What's your goal?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Started a game as the Duke of Mesopotamia. The Duke is Armenian and has just one province to start with. I did take two provinces immediately from the small neighboring Muslim state though. The Empire beat back the Turks.

Question about these civil wars the Empire suffers from. Is there advantages to siding with a usurper? If he wins will I be rewarded? I know I can be punished if I back a losing rebel. Will I also be punished if I back a legitimate king that is overthrown?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

the legitimate king is the winner ;)

The Brain

When the game ends shouldn't you get to compare your score to actual scores in the game?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on March 02, 2012, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 02, 2012, 05:28:30 PM

Is the disappearing anti-pope based on something?  I have had multiple successions since establishing one around 1080.

Maybe he chose to reconcile? I got a pop-up that bishop's candidacy for anti-pope was over.

PDH

My first game was as the Hohenstauffen (starting when they appear in 1079).  As the duke of Swabia things are ok, a big bad HRE to hide in to learn the game, and a nice duchy to slowly take control of.  Problems started when Frederick the Duke of Swabia became the Duke that Wouldn't Die, gaining so much prestige and the like that when three emperors on the title came up I suddenly was in charge of the whole damn thing.

By increasing authority I stopped the damn globbing of dukes, but every (and I mean every) generation there was a fairly large revolt against the new Hohenstauffen emperor.  The stronger ones could put it down, the weaker had to fight tooth and nail to even come close. 

In the end I abandoned the game with the first patch, in part because I realized that as a human the HRE has an inertia to it that really keeps things from running out of hand.  Sure, I was strong enough to spread and clear out Muslim Italy, but if I took too long or my emperor died while campaigning, it would be a shit-storm in Bavaria or Thuringia or Austria.  It was rather intense, keeping the lot together, but it was also very self-limiting.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM