Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:36:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 05:33:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 05:32:23 PM
Quote from: sbr on February 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM
Speed 4 is a set speed, speed 5 is as fast as your machine can go.  There is too much of a gap there for most people.

Ah, that explains it.

I've got the Intel inside.

Whereas the core of my computer is from...2004/2005?

It's also a terrible design decision.  Speed 4 isn't quite molasses-slow, but it's pretty weak.  Whereas Speed 5 permits one's i7 to flash through a month in just a few seconds?  Nonsense.

Agreed. Oh well, they couldn't get everything right.

I'm far more comfortable criticizing Paradox than praising them. :P

I will say I like how they dealt with their historical inability to model anything remotely like proper naval combat.  That's a real Gordian solution. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 05:54:33 PM
I will say I like how they dealt with their historical inability to model anything remotely like proper naval combat. 

They sluyghed it off.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Man, you'd think a Spanish kingdom would be way easy, especially given that you're bound to inherit one if not most of the kingdoms, but that shit is poor.  I was making more money as a central Italian duchy than the master of Galicia (or Asturias, whatever it's called), Leon, and Castille.  By a factor of ten.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I will say I like how they dealt with their historical inability to model anything remotely like proper naval combat.  That's a real Gordian solution. :D

Navies actually showed up this time. Last time around it was just the graphic of an army marching on the see. No need to raise them. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 09:35:53 PM
Man, you'd think a Spanish kingdom would be way easy, especially given that you're bound to inherit one if not most of the kingdoms, but that shit is poor.  I was making more money as a central Italian duchy than the master of Galicia (or Asturias, whatever it's called), Leon, and Castille.  By a factor of ten.
Right now I'm playing the kingdom of Aragon. Started off as duke of Barcelona. The Christian kingdoms collapsed and were overrun by bajados. I slowly ate away at them and no I control all of Aragon, castile, Leon (minus Galicia) and the duchy of portucal. Now that I've managed to quell the rebellions through council position and arrests it's gotten better, but I'm at a stale mate with what left of bajados and the morocco king (whatever his real title is). I can't attack one without the other coming after me, and no one will marry me to give me an ally.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

one thing i hate- the way you can be figting a war with someone who then makes peace with someene ele thus ending your war inconclusivly... you should have a choice about continuing anyway. sucks how you cant take advantage of civil wars
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2012, 10:18:46 PM
one thing i hate- the way you can be figting a war with someone who then makes peace with someene ele thus ending your war inconclusivly... you should have a choice about continuing anyway. sucks how you cant take advantage of civil wars

The worst bit is when they make peace because you've given them such a beating so the AI calculates that it can't do well in the civil war.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 09:36:18 PM

Navies actually showed up this time. Last time around it was just the graphic of an army marching on the see. No need to raise them. :D

Lol.

Then again, if you can't interdict them, why bother with the added complexity. :shrug:

Also I'm not really convinced that galley warfare did not or could not exist during the period.  I mean, if the Greeks and Persians, Romans and Carthaginians, Romans and Egytpians could do it, why not late medieval fellows?  Venice and Genoa had galleys, surely, right? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 10:25:32 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2012, 10:18:46 PM

The worst bit is when they make peace because you've given them such a beating so the AI calculates that it can't do well in the civil war.

I like that.  It keeps the fucking AI from stealing your provinces by attacking your rebellious counts, etc., which is/was/should be legally an attack upon you.  I've lost whole duchies to the Mooninites when I've been distracted by multiple rebellions at once, with only one hammer army to deal with them.

I've gotta get my levies up.  7,000 for Leon/Asturias/Castille is low, isn't it?
Kinemalogue

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 11:19:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 09:36:18 PM

Lol.

Then again, if you can't interdict them, why bother with the added complexity. :shrug:

Also I'm not really convinced that galley warfare did not or could not exist during the period.  I mean, if the Greeks and Persians, Romans and Carthaginians, Romans and Egytpians could do it, why not late medieval fellows?  Venice and Genoa had galleys, surely, right? :unsure:

Naval battles happened often enough during the period. Greek fire and all that shit.

Tamas

Continued observation of the near-elimination of war-time levy replenishment:
the big player-aiding thingie is of course that holy orders become very über - but the AI of course is not aware of this so you don't end up with mega-crusades.

What the change does in general is that if realm A and B are fighting and have manpower for one big-ish stack each, then when those meet, and the winner chases down the loser, the war is by all intents and purposes over. And -this might be a minus or plus depending on how you look at it- if the agressor is a bigger meaner power, the defender cannot count on sitting back watching the agressor spend an anal time on sieges so the defending manpower magically reappears and can be lodged forth into a second battle.

As far as the world map goes in the mid 1100s, the change is not causing anything dramatic, everything pretty much looks within the usual border of things. PERHAPS Byzantium is weaker - jihad upon jihad succeeds, creeping the muslim territory forward one province at a time, and Azerbaijan rules the Caucasus, not Byzantium.

Viking

The holy orders have shitloads of heavy cav, something only the most developed provinces manage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2012, 04:53:07 AM
The holy orders have shitloads of heavy cav, something only the most developed provinces manage.

Yes and I am fine with that - with the Replication Centers churring out full-fledged muslims armies every fortnight in vanilla, you need a screening army to keep them at bay and the holy orders are good for that.

It's just that their awesomeness probably makes it easier for the player to run crusading offensives than it should be, due to my levy changes. But again, the AI is not aware of this so it doesn't matter much.

What I am interested the most at the moment is how Byzantium will fare. But the modification of course affects everyone, so I guess it will be much of the same.

I was wondering: maybe the Seljuks should be made stronger? What if it's not the Purpler Teenagers being strong, it's their enemies being weak?

Also, what if the Byzantine ruler would be a King, not an Emperor? That would mess with their Balkan holdings, but otherwise maybe it would make things more fragile?

Martinus

I wonder how these changes will affect the Mongol Hordes (tm).

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on February 24, 2012, 05:43:04 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2012, 04:53:07 AM

Yes and I am fine with that - with the Replication Centers churring out full-fledged muslims armies every fortnight in vanilla, you need a screening army to keep them at bay and the holy orders are good for that.

It's just that their awesomeness probably makes it easier for the player to run crusading offensives than it should be, due to my levy changes. But again, the AI is not aware of this so it doesn't matter much.

What I am interested the most at the moment is how Byzantium will fare. But the modification of course affects everyone, so I guess it will be much of the same.

I was wondering: maybe the Seljuks should be made stronger? What if it's not the Purpler Teenagers being strong, it's their enemies being weak?

Also, what if the Byzantine ruler would be a King, not an Emperor? That would mess with their Balkan holdings, but otherwise maybe it would make things more fragile?

the problems with the romans not falling las in part in the fact that you can't profit from their civil wars. If one could the Seljuks (or anyone else) could go through them like a knife through butter when they're divided.
There's of course the limited nature of the wargoals (though it prevents CK1 silliness) that adds to the failure of the Turks to take the whole of Anatolia in one fell swoop (although one could consider that particular event rather extraordinary).