News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 04:16:53 PM
Also, what do rebellious peasants do? Apart from when I've had a successful revolt cause a newly gained muslim territory to break away, I've never noticed them doing much.  I understand that rebel controlled provinces aren't remitting taxes/levies but for the most part I don't see much use in clearing rebels out of the territories of my rebellious vassals. Shame (seeing as how the rebels have leaders) that they don't try and declare themselves rulers of part of the province.

I think they burn improvements and eventually disband and join up with de jure liege.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 04:17:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 04:09:25 PM

Well then you are mistaken in citing that as an example. Certainly wasn't the case that the war ended.

It didn't take 10 years to negotate the end of the war, it took 10 years for the french to be able to gather the funds. iirc part of the deal was to release John in exchange for a large group of nobles, including his competent heir iirc.

And then what quickly happened? A disavowal of the treaty - not something that would happen in CK unless the AI suddenly was fine with truce breaking. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 04:18:37 PM
Also, what do rebellious peasants do? Apart from when I've had a successful revolt cause a newly gained muslim territory to break away, I've never noticed them doing much.  I understand that rebel controlled provinces aren't remitting taxes/levies but for the most part I don't see much use in clearing rebels out of the territories of my rebellious vassals. Shame (seeing as how the rebels have leaders) that they don't try and declare themselves rulers of part of the province.

I think they burn improvements and eventually disband and join up with de jure liege.

Yeah which means bunk to me when the vassal is a de jure part of my realm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 04:19:33 PM

And then what quickly happened? A disavowal of the treaty - not something that would happen in CK unless the AI suddenly was fine with truce breaking. :D

Well, I'd suggest that my point is supported here by the simple fact that French society cried Uncle as soon as one specific man got captured.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 04:20:13 PM

But, the next time you call out the levies you get fewer troops since they now have less income and have built fewer improevements.

Though, this also means that when they inevtably revolt the revolt is smaller. I like smiting them for the simple reason that it gives a relationship bonus for smiting rebels.

Fireblade

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 04:32:37 PM

But, the next time you call out the levies you get fewer troops since they now have less income and have built fewer improevements.

Though, this also means that when they inevtably revolt the revolt is smaller. I like smiting them for the simple reason that it gives a relationship bonus for smiting rebels.

It didn't help that a good portion of the higher nobility got killed or captured along with Jean II.

Viking

Quote from: Fireblade on February 20, 2012, 04:34:27 PM

It didn't help that a good portion of the higher nobility got killed or captured along with Jean II.

Thats what usually happens in lost battles, heavy armor can't run away when the squires and servants run in the quite reasonable expectation of not being worth the effort of ransoming. Also, I'm pretty sure that being captured is more noble than running.

With this 5x capture rate France had to endure 15 years of constant warfare

English War for Duchy of Anjou (cancelled when the Burgundian War ended)
Mauritanian Jihad for Emirate of Barcelona
Burgundian War for the Throne of France
Toulousian War for Reduction in Royal Power
English War for Duchys of Poitou, Aquitaine and Gascogny (the inheretance of the queen mother)

By the end of 15 years of total war the french armies had no more nobles and were fighting battles with 0 military skill (and losing badly). I think all french nobles were basically incarcerated in english, maroccan, burgundian and toulousian prisons. Given that the A.I. doesn't ransom it's prisoners, it just waits for them to die before replacing them and that having all the french dukes in foreign prisons does wonders for the stability of the french realm.

So, I'll cut back on the rate of capture....

garbon

I wish p'dox had been a little more transparent with their modding conventions. I opened up the objectives file and as mostly lost. :(

Martinus

They also murder courtiers and steal gold.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2012, 04:29:40 PM
Well, I'd suggest that my point is supported here by the simple fact that French society cried Uncle as soon as one specific man got captured.

Really?  Because it sure seemed like the best thing that ever happened to the French war effort was Jean II being captured.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 20, 2012, 05:31:26 PM

They also murder courtiers and steal gold.

All of these sounds like good things for vassals that I hate. :D

garbon

Btw, this looks cool.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587022-Creatable-Titular-Titles

QuoteSomeone (Ruwaard, here) finally discovered how to give titular titles to characters - or, actually, how to give owners to the titular titles.

With this structure, it's fairly easy to add creatable titular titles on decision. The mod, for now, allows the creation of Navarra, Galicia and the Latin Empire if the owner is not yet a king, and has the correct title as his primary one (as well as the provinces and/or culture).

Feel free to create another decisions and post here, and I'll add them to the 'main mod'.
With only a little more of work, we can easily create titular kingdoms of Occitania, Lotharingia, Lowlands etc without messing with the 'de jure' kingdoms system. The same can be said about empires of Hispania, Great Britain, Scandinavia and others.

For now, it features:
-Kingdom of Galicia
-Kingdom of Navarra
-Latin Empire

Josquius

Does having enemy leaders captured even affect the chance of a peace deal one bit?
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

I started a game as count of Mentiguil...Menti... someone in south-eastern France, and have progressed to become Duke of Toulouse and Auvergne. The King of France (who also is the King of Scotland) held Toulouse, however, and I wanted it back. In the midst of a massive Civil War which saw the Duchy of Aquitaine break away and conquer almost all of France save my Duchy (in order to lower crown authority or some such stupid thing), I started a war and regained Toulouse. I then returned to the French fold. Unfortunately, immediately upon making peace, the King demanded I forfeit some of my titles. By refusing, I apparently started a war to overthrow the French monarchy. I was able to get a WP, but the King then immediately demanded I had over a different title. I refused again. Unfortunately, the King made peace with Aquitaine and immediately created two 10k stacks of doom and overran my poor Duchy. I could reload, but it doesn't seem like there is any way to prevent the King from forcing me into a war and then obliterating me once he surrenders to Aquitaine.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Fireblade

I'm playing only independent dukes/kingdoms for the time being because I'm tired of my liege cockblocking me every 5 minutes. <_< Denmark is fun, by the way.

So, I abandoned my 1089 start Comnenus game. I got sick of putting down endless rebellions because my vassals are prejudiced against hunchbacks. Vassal rebellions are almost as boring as peasant rebellion. Woo raise troops, march to county, seize it, throw that motherfucker in prison. I sort of wish that whole mechanic was more event-driven, because playing rebel whack-a-mole got boring around, oh, the summer of 2001 when I bought EU2.  :rolleyes:

It was fun having every duke and most of the counts in Byzantium in prison. Maybe I should script a "blind prisoner" event for blood relations you have captured. Makes them blind and removes their claims to the throne.