News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2012, 05:08:18 PM
I gave up on Apulia.  I managed to get a male heir who wasn't assassinated.  But he inherited Thessalonika first and came back Greek and Orthodox.  Which kind of ruined the fun <_<

I've been rocking it with Salerno but I haven't been able to figure out how to break free from the Pope without receiving his everlasting wrath.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

You know, looking at some of this, there should be a distance modifier for marriages.  Make it more difficult to marry people from the other side of Europe (or Ethiopia!).  This occurred to me while looking at the Irish thing.  Neither an Irish lord or a Hungarian one would see much of a benefit in an arranged marriage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2012, 08:46:09 PM
You know, looking at some of this, there should be a distance modifier for marriages.  Make it more difficult to marry people from the other side of Europe (or Ethiopia!).  This occurred to me while looking at the Irish thing.  Neither an Irish lord or a Hungarian one would see much of a benefit in an arranged marriage.

Not to mention the fairly good likelihood of not surviving the journey to the other's court.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on February 17, 2012, 12:20:28 PM
You should always turn off auto-patching on paradox games if you have to get them on steam.
Where is that option located?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I went from doing really, really well to leading my country to utter ruination.  Guess I shouldn't have tried to fight the Emperor, huh?  Or at least saved before I did?

That motherfucker is like Stalin's Russia.  "Destroyed a 15,000 man army?  LOLOLOL HERE'S THREE MORE."

And even when I abandoned my war, I immediately had to fight a rebellious vassal (which makes sense), but the EMPEROR JOINED HER.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Fireblade

Holy Orders are FUCKING AWESOME. You get like 3000 heavy cavalry, 3000 heavy infantry, and 1500 archers for a mere 30 piety upfront and no gold after.

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on February 17, 2012, 11:13:38 PM
Holy Orders are FUCKING AWESOME. You get like 3000 heavy cavalry, 3000 heavy infantry, and 1500 archers for a mere 30 piety upfront and no gold after.

:huh:

It is like 70 a month or something like that.  Really they are great as battering rams.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

It's 20 per month if you're not defending against heathens, or at least it was before the patch. But even with 2 of those orders fighting for me I couldn't keep up attrition-wise with the Shia Caliphate. They were raising a new 10k army every other month.

sbr

I don't remember off the top of my head tim. I will look when I get home.

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2012, 10:49:25 PM
You should always turn off auto-patching on paradox games if you have to get them on steam.

If i'm understanding SBR right click on CK II in steam library, select properties, click update tab, and select do not automatically update this game.

I loaded my pre patch save with no problems, it all went to hell in game though with HRE and it's hordes of germans crushing my poor basque armies :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

So during the most recent revolt of a dual duke, he created the second title since I don't create titles since creating them just makes my vassals hate me. Now at the start of the revolt I looked at the enemy leader and found his location "leading an army in backwater province X" so I chase that army down and destroy it. Where is the enemy leader now? Leading the defense of the main seat in "backwater province X" so I siege the place out and take it. He is now ruling from his capital, which I have occupied. He seems to be able to both rule his two duchies respawning his armies every few months after they get destroyed every few months while avoiding the garrison I have in his capital.

The general trend of Mideval warfare was to avoid battles if at all possible since they were so unpredictable; generalship of the era basically consting of picking leaders for each of the three battles and hoping those leaders were not incompetent. Unless of course you heavily outnumbered the enemy in which case you chased him to a castle where he got besieged. Battle in CK2 also have the unhistorical effect of getting everybody killed. Battles decided wars since losing the battle meant all your nobles were captured and it was obvious that god did not favor your cause. I don't think I need to bitch much more...

The malus for having levies for so long I assume refers to the limits these were subject to historically.. it's just that historically you could gather levies and fight a decisive campaign during the summer.. you can't in this game. The Hastings campaign took a few weeks ending in a battle which decided the issue in 1066. I don't think it is possible to get the english throne to surrender (northern magnates need a separate campaign later regardless) in that time. Usually it takes a full 3 years of campaigning to to take Harolds lands (and killing his army four or five times) before you have to move on. Seriously a few percent progress every two weeks?

It's more like fighting Russian Partisans than noble armies.

Relations default to 0 or less since maluses are larger than bonuses and that difference is only compensated by diplomatic skill.

I just don't think that the game is working when looking through my family tree EVERY SINGLE brother ends up dying either on the throne or in prison and at any random time about half the dukes of the realm are imprisoned.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2012, 01:11:49 AMAgreed unless, although sometimes I've found it good to delay if I'm currently in more than one war and the chances of imprisonment are low.  If you don't watch out, you've just added another belligerent. /It is always lovely when a vassal does declare independence. If you conquer them in war and imprison them - then you can freely revoke their titles without your other vassals caring because they were traitorous.

Is that actually the case? I've noticed when I beat someone who vied for independence I can revoke one title without my vassals caring, but any subsequent revocations it seems like the "since they are a traitor no one cares" message goes away and is replaced by a -20 opinion from all vassals message.

JonasSalk

Yeah, I was playing as Apulia and my dickbag brother Robert decided to revolt on me. I threw his ass in prison after capturing him and revoked one of his titles. When I tried to revoke his second title, it told me to fuck off and said I'd get big big negatives. wtf.

Also, why is it that virtually everybody else gets gigantic armies but me? I played as the Duke of Portugal and formed the Kingdom with all of Portugal's modern territory (minus the islands and such) and yet even with large levies on all sides and with all of my vassals in love with me, I could barely raise more than 800 or so troops while giant Muslim armies from Seville/Mauretania decided to come at me with 3,000 bin Ladens. What the hell, Batman. Mercs saved my ass one time, and only because the Pope gave me a ton of money to fight the Muslims. Then the mercs all died and 3 months later, here comes another 3k death stack.
Yuman

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on February 17, 2012, 11:52:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2012, 10:49:25 PM

If i'm understanding SBR right click on CK II in steam library, select properties, click update tab, and select do not automatically update this game.

I loaded my pre patch save with no problems, it all went to hell in game though with HRE and it's hordes of germans crushing my poor basque armies :(
Thanks! :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on February 18, 2012, 12:56:48 AM
The general trend of Mideval warfare was to avoid battles if at all possible since they were so unpredictable; . . . Battle in CK2 also have the unhistorical effect of getting everybody killed. Battles decided wars since losing the battle meant all your nobles were captured and it was obvious that god did not favor your cause. I don't think I need to bitch much more...

Battles are too bloody but talking about a "general trend" for such a long period over such a large area is questionable.  Having just read a book on the Albigensian Crusade there were quite a few battles and they were very bloody.  The King of Aragon was killed in battle along with almost all his troops at Muret; a few years later Montfort was killed in battle and his brother badly injured.  There were quite a few battles in the Hundred Years War and a high percentage were as you say quite decisive.  CK2 is kind of capturing this - if you just treat the casualty report as including captured and put to flight/disbanded.  The effect is the same in terms of decisive outcome and time to regenerate levies.

QuoteThe malus for having levies for so long I assume refers to the limits these were subject to historically.. it's just that historically you could gather levies and fight a decisive campaign during the summer.. you can't in this game. The Hastings campaign took a few weeks ending in a battle which decided the issue in 1066. I don't think it is possible to get the english throne to surrender (northern magnates need a separate campaign later regardless) in that time.

Yes this the timing is all wrong.  I think there should be a mechanic for vassal levies in the beginning to start melting away after a few months unless within the territorial limit of their ducal liege, Crusading or fighting an excommunicated opponent.  That would slow down some of the early conquest wars.  Over time, that limit could be relaxed but at the same time maintenance costs would increase reflecting shift from the more traditional feudal model to "bastard feudalism".  At the same time, the early game castles should probably be made weaker.

QuoteRelations default to 0 or less since maluses are larger than bonuses and that difference is only compensated by diplomatic skill.

Only played one game but haven't had that experience.  Now at 1086 and my vassal and courtier opinions vary from about -15 to +80, with my count vassals all very positive.  Foreign opinions are in a tighter range between -15 to +20 but considerable dispersion in between. 

QuoteI just don't think that the game is working when looking through my family tree EVERY SINGLE brother ends up dying either on the throne or in prison and at any random time about half the dukes of the realm are imprisoned.

Also haven't seen that yet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson