Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Gave in and bought the game  :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
Thank God for multi-core support.  The game runs a million times faster than CK1.

A Paradox game with multi-core support?  Truly this is the future.

Fine, I'm buying it.  Comics can wait till next month. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

So, when you buy a game on Steam, and click install, is it supposed to sit there for ten minutes doing nothing?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Why would you buy from Steam when Gamer's Gate is available?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I really liked the Emperor giving me a county in Italy. It's a bishopric, so I sent my potentially trouble making half brother there as prince-bishop. I will very likely lose this (very remote) fief when he dies, but it also took my brother out of the succession line while simultaneously keeping him happy (he' a marshal with skill 22) that he has some land of his own.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Where are the screenshots kept?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

"Is there anyway to deploy a levy when a province is being sieged?" Tyr asked.

In the siege view there is a small button where you can "switch from siege view", having done that you raise the levies as usual and they start fighting the besiegers.

Martinus

Ok, restarted the game as Toulouse, this time more aware where the threat comes from. Apparently, the Aquitaine aggression from the first game wasn't random, but the Duke there hates me because I have Foix (de iure part of Gascogne) as my vassal. So I gave Foix over to Aquitaine and sent my chancellor to Aquitaine to improve relations, and that dealt with any external threats, really - I also cemented this with a marital alliance.

Meanwhile I'm building up my economy and power, and biding my time while the French King is running reconquista in Spain (I was hoping for some title but so far only managed to get "Master of the Swans" from the fucking bastard  :roll eyes: ). I have three lovely sons (the eldest is Kind, Charitable, Honest, Diligent, Proud and Just), dealt with uppity brothers, one of whom even fabricated a claim against me and it seems like the future of the Duchy is rosy. Had a bit of drama with my wife (sister of the Duke of Aquitaine) and ended up having an affair - then the bitch (my wife) went public with this so I had to disown my lover and gained a trait "Humble" as a result.

But now payback time - I started a plot to kill my wife. :P

Since my son just came of age, I started to look for a wife for him. However, from an experience:
- I don't want him to marry a non-Occitanian as I already had problems with heirs from such marriages being Swedish or Polish (and I don't want to switch culture of the heir to my liege's as this would mean becoming Frankish and I want my Toulouse to be Occitanian for rp reasons :P)
- I don't want to marry him to some title-holding ruler, as this would mean he would leave for her court (even in normal marriage) until he becomes the Duke  - I did that once in a game as Burgundy and the fucking bitch of a wife appointed my heir as a bishop, thus removing him from succession
- I don't want her to be too low born
- I don't want to wait 10+ years in betrothal

Unfortunately, I will probably have to wait as the only choices this leaves me with are ladies from the Houses of Aquitaine, Barcelona and Provence and there is noone eligible there right now. So either someone gets widowed (and still young) or I end up betrothing him to a 2 y.o. daughter somewhere.

Btw, how do you press de iure claims on vassals in other kingdoms? I have a claim on some bishop in Provence (a vassal of the Duke there) but it says he must be independent. Is there a way to get him independent? I tried sowing discord there but after 30 years it didn't do anything.

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on February 15, 2012, 02:07:04 AM
Why would you buy from Steam when Gamer's Gate is available?

Never trust a Swede?

Anyways in my Navarre game, married a duchess from Italy so our son is set to Inherit a large part of Northern Italy on top of holdings in Spain, the ruler of Dax fabricated claims on me so i've responded in kind and hope to wrest free the poor Basques from the Occitan rulers, not to mention take back Vizcaya from Castille.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2012, 02:32:58 AM

As I was told earlier, should be something like C:/Users/my documents/paradox/crusader kings II

Tamas

who would have tought that a kingdom containing Danes and Polacks wouldn't work?

My hag sister  got such huge holdings in both Denmark and Poland that I just couldnt keep it together. She called in her Polack allies so the civil war quickly turned into a Denmark and Poland vs. Hungary thing, after decades of near-constant in-fighting, there was just not enough manpower left on the Hungarian side. I fought and was slowly winning, but the money was about to run out so I had to disband the mercenaries which consisted the bulk of my army.

Meanwhile, the Rus revolted as one entity (their king did I guess) but got subdued, then the various dukes revolted piecemal, so Russia is a clusterfuck with the Golden Horde slowly consolidating it's hold over it. The Il Khanate is kind of a mess right now with a massive seljuk bid for independence, not sure how that will end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2012, 04:13:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2012, 02:32:58 AM

As I was told earlier, should be something like C:/Users/my documents/paradox/crusader kings II
I see three folders, gfx, logs and save games. That's it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fireblade

Well, my Apulia game is quickly going full Habsburg.

Robert Guiscard's third son and heir married his cousin, the heiress of the Duchy of Sicily. So far, they've only made daughters, the eldest of which is betrothed to her half-uncle, Robert Guiscard's fifth son. I strongly suspect more hillbilly-style inbreeding will be required to secure Sicily within the Hauteville family.

Tamas

:lol: tell me about it

My current king's grandpa had 14 children, mostly girls. I have had to do a LOT of inter-family marriages to contain the number of crown-claimants.

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on February 15, 2012, 02:44:05 AM
Btw, how do you press de iure claims on vassals in other kingdoms? I have a claim on some bishop in Provence (a vassal of the Duke there) but it says he must be independent. Is there a way to get him independent? I tried sowing discord there but after 30 years it didn't do anything.

Either you declare war on his Liege to press the claim, or you wait until Provence becomes independent.