And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on February 10, 2012, 11:06:08 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 06:31:49 PM
I'm going to have stop playing the demo. I had the perfect Duke of Achaea game going. Emperor Jon Lovitz was giving me counties. Thanks for the serbs Emperor! I controlled the Addidas tracksuit factory in Belgrade.  :)

He does look like Jon Lovitz, doesn't he? :lol:

He just needs a devil costume.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2012, 05:18:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 10, 2012, 07:08:12 PM
okay so I am drunk and not at home but apparently the pirated version has been released.

This leaves me with very mixed feelings. At one hand, if true, I can play day before 2/14, on the other hand it's a blow to Paradox on their first non-fucked up game in quite a while. :(
:ph34r:

No need to be embarrassed - we all paid for pre-order.  Besides Johan should be pleased that this niche game has such a good reputation already that it finds its way into torrent sites...  It's an indicator the game will sell well.  And releasing a game in the middle of the work week is cruel anyway.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Fireblade

Quote from: Grallon on February 11, 2012, 09:29:27 AM

No need to be embarrassed - we all paid for pre-order.  Besides Johan should be pleased that this niche game has such a good reputation already that it finds its way into torrent sites...  It's an indicator the game will sell well.  And releasing a game in the middle of the work week is cruel anyway.

Please. Marty is the furthest thing from being embarrassed. He's on MSN right now begging me for help seating the .iso and burning the cd or whatever it is his feeble Polish mind is incapable of figuring out.  :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

He jammed his cd player with black bread.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

chipwich

The pirated version seems to have an amusing if Game-breaking bug. The Mongols come into play under the player's control

Tamas

Quote from: chipwich on February 11, 2012, 10:32:09 AM
The pirated version seems to have an amusing if Game-breaking bug. The Mongols come into play under the player's control

If true, that either means that they left that in 1.00 deliberately to fuck with pirates, or the betas never really reached the mongol invasion in their games. In Steam games they don't need to crack the actual exe and sure as hell don't have to modify event scripts.

Martinus

I didn't manage to burn the "prerelease version".  :ph34r:

Btw, I gotta say this game is goddamn hard. The building up process is not that difficult, but once you are on top, keeping your holdings becomes quite a task.

I started the game as Duke Robert I de Hauteville of Apulia and Calabria. During 26 years of his reign he became known as Robert I the Great, and unified the Kingdom of Naples under his rule. He imprisoned unruly vassals, was exalted among men and pious, and did not engage in too much plotting (except for murdering his first wife).

Now, the same cannot be said about his offspring. His two legitimate sons turned to be both (sic!) homosexual plotters and were not quite happy with their career in the church. Robert instead chose to legitimise his eldest bastard son, Bohemond. The one who, during 11 years of his reign, became known as Bohemond I the Accursed.

Bohemond tried to expand his realm and even got the Duke of Capua to swear fealty to him with no bloodshed. But then when he increased the crown authority and introduced the royal investiture, all the hell soon broke lose. At first a minor Count of Bari (Bohemond's distant cousin, whose father was executed by King Robert the Great for treason, raised a rebellion. Soon he was joined by the Duchess of Cagliari (another offspring of an executed traitor) and Roger (Prince-Archbishop of Benevento, who also happened to be Bohemond's gay hunchback half-brother - guess the royal investiture wasn't such a great idea after all :P).

Fighting in Southern Italy, Bohemond was maimed in combat and soon perished, leaving the crown to his 7 year old son, Robert II, with the Queen Mother (the Byzantine Princess, Zoe) as the Regent.

I quit the game when Dukes of Capua and Salerno joined the rebellion and were marching on the royal capital in Apulia. :P

Martinus

Btw, if you don't mind some hateful people on the loose, I found a great source of income. :P

You arrest (preferably, when you have a reason, but I guess if you want to be universally hated, also with no cause) your vassals and then release them for ransom (or banish them). Both create a nice steady income (I presume the latter represents the exile's assets being confiscated by the crown). :P

A duke yields around 125 gold. I guess I shouldn't have arrested and then released a traitor duke once, though - he later was a part of the rebellion. :P

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2012, 01:33:33 PM
I didn't manage to burn the "prerelease version".  :ph34r:

Btw, I gotta say this game is goddamn hard. The building up process is not that difficult, but once you are on top, keeping your holdings becomes quite a task.

I started the game as Duke Robert I de Hauteville of Apulia and Calabria. During 26 years of his reign he became known as Robert I the Great, and unified the Kingdom of Naples under his rule. He imprisoned unruly vassals, was exalted among men and pious, and did not engage in too much plotting (except for murdering his first wife).

Now, the same cannot be said about his offspring. His two legitimate sons turned to be both (sic!) homosexual plotters and were not quite happy with their career in the church. Robert instead chose to legitimise his eldest bastard son, Bohemond. The one who, during 11 years of his reign, became known as Bohemond I the Accursed.

Bohemond tried to expand his realm and even got the Duke of Capua to swear fealty to him with no bloodshed. But then when he increased the crown authority and introduced the royal investiture, all the hell soon broke lose. At first a minor Count of Bari (Bohemond's distant cousin, whose father was executed by King Robert the Great for treason, raised a rebellion. Soon he was joined by the Duchess of Cagliari (another offspring of an executed traitor) and Roger (Prince-Archbishop of Benevento, who also happened to be Bohemond's gay hunchback half-brother - guess the royal investiture wasn't such a great idea after all :P).

Fighting in Southern Italy, Bohemond was maimed in combat and soon perished, leaving the crown to his 7 year old son, Robert II, with the Queen Mother (the Byzantine Princess, Zoe) as the Regent.

I quit the game when Dukes of Capua and Salerno joined the rebellion and were marching on the royal capital in Apulia. :P

That's one of the things I really like about CK, even the most dominate, powerful empire is only one unlucky random number away from complete chaos and ruin.  Once you get to a certain point in other games you are omnipotent, in this game you never really are.

Tamas

The HRE appears to be the exception so far, however. It just carries too much weight - it would need a quick succession of sizeable fiefs declaring independence to make it collapse.

Maximus

France too. They just roll over the Iberian Muslims and into Africa, and even the combined might of Aquitaine, Toulouse and Normandy can't seem to bring them down.

Tamas

Quote from: Maximus on February 11, 2012, 02:13:30 PM
France too. They just roll over the Iberian Muslims and into Africa, and even the combined might of Aquitaine, Toulouse and Normandy can't seem to bring them down.

I haven't seen that.

Fireblade

Is it me, or are WAY too many characters in this game gay?

In the last game I played as the Kingdom of Leon, my court was like a medieval pride parade.

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on February 11, 2012, 02:52:34 PM

Yeah I noticed that the prevalence of "out" homosexuals seems rather high.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2012, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on February 11, 2012, 02:52:34 PM

Yeah I noticed that the prevalence of "out" homosexuals seems rather high.

Next DLC expansion: Crusader Kings II: It's Rainin' Men

I can't really think of any rulers from the time period that were "out". Richard the Lionheart is probably the most famous suspected gay king, but even he fathered an illegitimate son and was rumored to have had affairs with women. Even later kings who were more or less known to be gay still had sex with their wives, if only to continue their dynasty. I think having a homosexual trait that makes you absolutely infertile is a huge anachronism.