News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

You guys seem pretty heavily into this now. Are you all just playing the demo? What are the limitations of the demo version?

The Brain

Most of the limitations are the same as the full game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 09, 2012, 01:39:18 PM
One of my vassals tried to claim Prima Noctae rights. I squashed that because I didn't want the revolt risk. Then I went and looked at him and turns out he was a 14-year-old hunchback.

If I were a 14 year old hunchback liege I would be all over the prima noctae.

Maximus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 09, 2012, 01:42:22 PM
You guys seem pretty heavily into this now. Are you all just playing the demo? What are the limitations of the demo version?
Mainly that you can't save.

Martinus

And you can only play for 20 years.

Martinus

Btw, does anyone understand what one has to do to hack the demo to play for more than 20 years (I preordered the game, just want to play before Tuesday :P)?

I read the instructions but Windows is so unintuitive to me I can't understand how to install some programme they tell you need to change the files.

garbon

Don't be so Eastern Europe, thx.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Richard Hakluyt

@Minsky - the mercenaries are half-price in the demo. I also experimented with lavishing money on a particular barony and the levy got a lot more impressive. Taken together, I think these factors will prevent the mercenaries being overpowered.

OTOH - from the several games I've played there is a strong feeling of places/realms being pretty generic. eg the base level of tax for each castle is the same as any other castle. Saxon England seemed to be the same as Poland........and so on. Perhaps there are events later on that will make Lombardy very different to England, but atm I don't see that being the case  :hmm:

Sheilbh

This is very addictive.  Impressive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on February 09, 2012, 02:21:57 PM
That's fairly easy to get around.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 09, 2012, 03:44:47 PM
@Minsky - the mercenaries are half-price in the demo. I also experimented with lavishing money on a particular barony and the levy got a lot more impressive. Taken together, I think these factors will prevent the mercenaries being overpowered.

I don't know. I mean even if price were doubled.  As the Earl of Gwent, I paid 60 to get a force of 1100 to help me capture the Earldom of Glamorgan. Even if the price was 120 it still would have been worth it as Glamorgan and myself could only raise forces of 250.  Was trivially easy to assault all 3 holdings and then disband Mercs before the monthly price would have screwed me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: Maximus on February 09, 2012, 03:54:36 PM

The one method I found dealt with pushing back the clock 400 years ... through scripting and such.  Meh... as much as I itch to really get into it - I'm not that itchy.

They seem to have kept the same basic text structure for settings so we will be able to fiddle to our hearts content about such things as base tax, structures, buildings etc.  What I'm looking forward to see is whether or not there's a character builder incorporated.  In CK1 someone coded one so perhaps one will find its way into this game; so far Paradox seem to have taken a lot of the ideas of the best mods made for CK 1 and incorporated them into this title so one may hope.

Oh and they really listened about the aesthetics of the game - gone are the hallmark Paradox drab colours!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

I just had one mother of a game as Burgundy (played for 40 years before the game crashed). It was fucking amazing. My grandson (under the care of my daughter in law, the bitch Duchess of Aquitaine) stood to inherit Aquitaine, Burgundy and possibly the throne of France (mainly because the King's only heir - the son he had with one of my daughters - died and then the King went off to fuck the wife of his bastard brother - my other daughter - making a bunch of new bastards; my daughter the queen was so pissed she helped me run a bunch of intrigues against the prick.

The bitch daughter in law was getting people to her plot to assassinate me faster than I could throw them in prison (unfortunately, you only get a "legitimate arrest" on the plot starter and not the backers, so each arrest was a popularity hit). In game terms I stood to "win" anyway since the 5 year old kid to inherit all of this (my grandson) was of my dynasty, but in roleplaying terms her attempts to assassinate me made sense as she would be the Regent as the mother of the brat (her husband and my son died soon after marrying her and getting the son).

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on February 09, 2012, 04:55:32 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 09, 2012, 03:54:36 PM

The one method I found dealt with pushing back the clock 400 years ... through scripting and such.  Meh... as much as I itch to really get into it - I'm not that itchy.

They seem to have kept the same basic text structure for settings so we will be able to fiddle to our hearts content about such things as base tax, structures, buildings etc.  What I'm looking forward to see is whether or not there's a character builder incorporated.  In CK1 someone coded one so perhaps one will find its way into this game; so far Paradox seem to have taken a lot of the ideas of the best mods made for CK 1 and incorporated them into this title so one may hope.

Oh and they really listened about the aesthetics of the game - gone are the hallmark Paradox drab colours!

G.

There is actually now an exe file which you put in your CK folder and run it and it changes everything you need.