News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

What happens when your count is being used? Is there much for the player to do?

It would be nice to have a bit more control over armies than just click and move...hmm....

_______

How common was killing first borns back in the day?
There were a lot of examples of course but it does seem super common in the game....

██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2012, 05:22:08 AM
What happens when your count is being used? Is there much for the player to do?

It would be nice to have a bit more control over armies than just click and move...hmm....

_______

How common was killing first borns back in the day?
There were a lot of examples of course but it does seem super common in the game....

Yes, you can still do pretty much everything, such as appoint your own council and send them out with missions, order people arrested, conduct diplomacy, engage in intrigue etc. I think the only thing you cannot do is to lead your own troops.

There is also an option to "resign from the council" if you would like to be at your own court (rather than be a chancellor for example).

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 08, 2012, 02:32:09 AM
Apparently the mercenary prices were halved for the demo, to give people a chance to use them in the limited time period. Which is just as well really since they seemed overpowered.

I played another game as Boleslaw and concentrated on developing my demesne, building baronies on the empty slots in Krakow and one more barony in another core province (the name escapes me atm). I held the new baronies personally and had a gratifying increase in income. By the end of the 20 years I was raking in 18 gold a month despite keeping the charges on my vassals at a low level. I'd say that kingdom was stronger than the previous game when I descended on the pagans as soon as I could hire a decent mercenary force.

Don't forget that you can build stuff in your towns, temples and baronies. Towns have a early +1 tax income building that's pretty cheap.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

Played a bit more of the demo last night with two friends on Skype also trying it, me holding a live QA session as they never played CK1 :D

It was cool that once I discovered that a bishop was plotting to reverse the authority change I enacted, I got a notifier appear that I can arrest him without a loyalty hit to my other vassals. Then later the Pope wanted me to set the fucker free. It is nice that you can plot to revoke a reform, altough I am not sure how that revoking is done in practice. The manual is exceptionally useless.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 08, 2012, 07:56:38 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 08, 2012, 02:32:09 AM
Apparently the mercenary prices were halved for the demo, to give people a chance to use them in the limited time period. Which is just as well really since they seemed overpowered.

I played another game as Boleslaw and concentrated on developing my demesne, building baronies on the empty slots in Krakow and one more barony in another core province (the name escapes me atm). I held the new baronies personally and had a gratifying increase in income. By the end of the 20 years I was raking in 18 gold a month despite keeping the charges on my vassals at a low level. I'd say that kingdom was stronger than the previous game when I descended on the pagans as soon as I could hire a decent mercenary force.

Don't forget that you can build stuff in your towns, temples and baronies. Towns have a early +1 tax income building that's pretty cheap.

Yes indeed. Krakow became a powerhouse for me, with three baronies held directly, early improvements in each barony and a skilled steward further increasing revenue. The levy also became reasonably impressive.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2012, 08:18:33 AM
Played a bit more of the demo last night with two friends on Skype also trying it, me holding a live QA session as they never played CK1 :D

It was cool that once I discovered that a bishop was plotting to reverse the authority change I enacted, I got a notifier appear that I can arrest him without a loyalty hit to my other vassals. Then later the Pope wanted me to set the fucker free. It is nice that you can plot to revoke a reform, altough I am not sure how that revoking is done in practice. The manual is exceptionally useless.

I believe you will eventually get an event where the plotters demand a revocation, and if you don't agree they will declare war.

Ed Anger

Playing the Cumans is hilarious. Revolts 'R Us.

I must have had 5 vassals in prison at one time. Makes for a nice income source ransoming them off. Then they rebel again, and crush them with the huge personal levy. Rinse, repeat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I liked when I got the event about how my daughter was a promising leader or something and then later they next month we found out she was a lesbian.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2012, 08:18:33 AM

Too bad Paradox didn't bother with a QA session.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2012, 11:39:21 AM
Could you be more specific?

CK I did not have them.  I know nothing about them.  Please tell me what they do and how you manage them in CK II.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2012, 11:48:17 AM

CK I did not have them.  I know nothing about them.  Please tell me what they do and how you manage them in CK II.

They are sub regions of each county, and are accessed from the province screen.  They are not playable.  They represent an additional level of nobles to manage.  Each county has a few, and they can be either towns, bishoprics, or baronies (or held in your own demesne).

The demo is not a particularily large download in this day and age (500MB or so) so I'd recommend downloading it and checking the game out - if only somebody would provide a link. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2012, 11:48:17 AM

Oh so it is sort of a mechanism of making it harder to take provinces (you have to successfully siege all baronies in a province).  Baronies constitute mini-courts within a province.  You can have up to 6 in a province (although some provinces have lower caps).  Baronies can be cities, temples or castles - each with their own disadvantages and advantages.

szmik

I'm tempted to buy first Paradox game in years (except Pride of Nations which isn't theirs)  :mmm:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.