News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Good ole Crusader Kings.

Started the demo as the Count of Isle of Man.  Despite being in his 60s, with a couple of adult grandchildren, I became betrothed to an 11 year old French Princess, who upon her marriage at age of 16 bore me three more kids in quick succession.

Enjoyed the game - seemed like there was a fair bit to do despite being a solitary count of an extremely poor province.  I did get DOW'd by the Duchy of the Isles who quickly kicked my ass, but thankfully they only forced me to swear fealty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

You can be Count of the Isle of Mann in the demo?  It looked like I could only be a small handful of realms.

Anyway look complicated right now.  We will see how it plays.  Man you can really invest a ton into province improvements but on the plus side you seem to make a heck of a lot more money than in CK.

I think it will take me awhile to figure out WTF is going on.  Not having played a Paradox game since the early days of EU3 the interface is a little baffling.  At least unlike EU3 the speed of the game seems good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2012, 09:22:57 AM
You can be Count of the Isle of Mann in the demo?  It looked like I could only be a small handful of realms.

Anyway look complicated right now.  We will see how it plays.  Man you can really invest a ton into province improvements but on the plus side you seem to make a heck of a lot more money than in CK.

It was mentioned numerous times in the CK forum, thought everyone here knew it:

The demo only gives you the option of playing the four different rulers.  However, if immediately after hitting the play button, you then click on another country/duchy/kingdom, you will play as that ruler instead.

I found I had to scroll the map so the county I wanted to play was right next to the Play button as you have to do it quickly, but it does work.

Valmy

Man Paradox cannot even code their demos right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Btw, during battles it shows various arrows and numbers and shit like that. Is this just for information purposes or am I supposed to click on that stuff to give orders or something? :P

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 04:32:55 AM
Can someone explain to me how do you conduct sieges and wars? I started a war with a two province pagan Pommeralia in Danzig/Slupsk, beat up their initial forces but then they kept spawning big armies that eventually beat me up, while my armies just stood there not doing any besieging.  :(

Pagans get a building ("Warrior Cult") that boosts their levies. Basically to make them tougher. It's still possible to beat them up as Poland in the demo, but you should build a few improvements in your baronies/towns first to get more troops. Or hire a shitload of mercs.

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2012, 10:00:46 AM
Btw, during battles it shows various arrows and numbers and shit like that. Is this just for information purposes or am I supposed to click on that stuff to give orders or something? :P

Info purposes. Also, do the tutorials, dummy. :P
Basically, there's 3 flanks, each flank picks a tactic depending on the stage of the battle (skirmish, melee, pursuit), also depends on the leader's martial skill, yada yada.

I'm glad to see that this game still lets my king be a perverted monster. I married a dwarf courtier to a hunchback. :perv: I also had my brother imprisoned when he assassinated my heir. For some reason, anyone I imprison dies within a year or so, even though I don't assassinate them. I was disappointed - I wanted him to rot there for decades.

I also had a courtier who had the impaler trait. My king's sex parties make de Sade look like a Mormon.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Well, I managed to finally download and install everything (including Windows on my Mac) at 11 p.m. yesterday so I immediately jumped into a game to at least have 2 hours of gameplay before going to bed and obviously I have been at work all day today, so thought I'd use the time by asking questions so I don't need to play a tutorial. :P

Neil

Quote from: PRC on February 06, 2012, 09:36:12 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 06, 2012, 09:10:20 PM
I have ta see that thread. Sounds hilarious.

Here is the link to the post that starts it: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?578197-Crusader-Kings-II-Demo!&p=13389122&viewfull=1#post13389122

Then 2 posts down from it the guy thinks he is a mod and posts the forum rules.  Then various people jump in heckling each other and the thread eventually goes on to talk about the homosexual event, does it mean you come out of the closet and have always been gay or were you never gay until the moment the event fires.
I think that Hexagon1 guy might be Martinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tamas

Quotegave a mayor the whole county, he became Lord Mayor, the county became a grand city, and when he claimed the duchy title he became a Doge... The Doge of Cornwall. It was all elective

wow that's cool.

Ed Anger

I thought beeting the pagans was easy as King Coleslaw the Bold. Call up all levies, hire a cheap, but numerous merc company. Move them all just south of Danzig. I had nearly 4800 troops in my game. Hire another company of Mercs, they become your fire brigade. Declare war on the whatchamacallits in Danzig. 2 other tribes join in. Let the main army stand on the defensive an let your troops take the first attack. Beat the Pagans. Go over and siege Danzig.

While that is going on, use the 2nd Merc unit to defend Poland from other Pagans. As Danzig falls, mop up the other province. Wham bam thank you ma'am, Coleslaw will have a nice new duchy to play with.

Then hammer the holy hell out of the other two and get favorable peace terms. You'll need about 800 gold at least to start fucking the pagans up though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Sounds like Dwarf Fort with a better interface.  I shall buy it.
PDH!

ulmont

Habbaku

I'm rather impressed that they actually made several impassable mountain-range connections between some important provinces.  Should channel warfare a good deal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2012, 09:20:41 AM
Good ole Crusader Kings.

Started the demo as the Count of Isle of Man.  Despite being in his 60s, with a couple of adult grandchildren, I became betrothed to an 11 year old French Princess, who upon her marriage at age of 16 bore me three more kids in quick succession.

Enjoyed the game - seemed like there was a fair bit to do despite being a solitary count of an extremely poor province.  I did get DOW'd by the Duchy of the Isles who quickly kicked my ass, but thankfully they only forced me to swear fealty.
Why the hell would a French Princess marry they Count of the Isle of Man? Even if her father hated her
he'd marry her of to at least a powerful French count or he'd look bad.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 07, 2012, 07:04:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2012, 09:20:41 AM
Good ole Crusader Kings.

Why the hell would a French Princess marry they Count of the Isle of Man? Even if her father hated her
he'd marry her of to at least a powerful French count or he'd look bad.

I do not know. Perhaps because I was independent at the time.