News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2019, 03:04:04 PM
Paradox released free new content: the new starting point in 936AD, in which you can play as Otto the Great, founder of the HRE. 
I tried playing it, but Otto died early in both my attempts before I could consolidate power and found the empire.

I'm doing that now. Otto is doing fine. I think though I have to become King of Italy to do that, right?

Which leads to my next general question. What's the advantage to having many titles, is there one? For instance, playing as Otto, you have the option to create several titles, many kingdoms and duchies, etc? I tend to ignore them.

Also my vassals hate the fact I have several duchies; but I cant' seem to pass any to my sons. What do I have to do to do that?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

There are advantages, you get more prestige and other people cannot grab the titles.

There are disadvantages, nobles in the de jure area will want those titles for themselves and if you are Gavelkind your heirs will split all your titles. So if you form a second King title, your heirs will split your empire when you die.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2019, 09:36:36 AM
There are advantages, you get more prestige and other people cannot grab the titles.

There are disadvantages, nobles in the de jure area will want those titles for themselves and if you are Gavelkind your heirs will split all your titles. So if you form a second King title, your heirs will split your empire when you die.

Oh that's not good. So if my two king titles split to my two sons, neither one would be a vassal of the other, right? So it's two separate kingdoms.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Yes, kings can only be vassals to emperors. If you found the Holy Roman Empire, it will destroy your king titles. That way you will be able to inherit the whole thing - if your vassals actually elect your son...

I think that's one of the weakest parts of CK2: there is very little you can do to ask your vassals to vote for your chosen successor.

One of the most important things you need to do early on is bribe your vassals so that they agree to enact the law that allows you to withdraw titles. Once you achieved that, you can start withdrawing the titles of everybody who rebels against you, e.g. your brother Thankmar. You can then handout the titles to loyalists or family members.

Josephus

Ok, thanks. I think you can become Emperor without forming the HRE (just a different Empire). Forming HRE requries Italy, I think.

Civis Romanus Sum

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2019, 01:22:21 PM
Ok, thanks. I think you can become Emperor without forming the HRE (just a different Empire). Forming HRE requries Italy, I think.

Yep. I think that is lame as fuck but yes you can. There is really no reason to form the HRE and many reasons not to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

I somehow preferred the game when you could not just create empires everywhere. Made the Byzantines, HRE, Caliphate etc. more special.

I have restarted the game as Otto. This time, I could not claim Italy early as Lothaire died before I could fight him for the Italian crown. However, the Caliph of Cordoba conquered Southern France which led to an early crusade age around 950. Interesting development.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 03, 2019, 03:19:02 PM
I somehow preferred the game when you could not just create empires everywhere. Made the Byzantines, HRE, Caliphate etc. more special.

I have restarted the game as Otto. This time, I could not claim Italy early as Lothaire died before I could fight him for the Italian crown. However, the Caliph of Cordoba conquered Southern France which led to an early crusade age around 950. Interesting development.

the HIP mod by default removes the unhistorical formable empires. I think that's crucial (even when I play vanilla I mod them out myself) because empires are extremely stable in the game, and take much of the fun out imho.

Josephus

My Otto is 70 and alive and well. I think he's going on a quest to find immortality or something now.
I did create HRE. As soon as I die, Germany's going to be a mess. Almost very vassal is a king of something. My own dynasty is not in line to the HRE (I can't do anything about it, I've tried.) So it should be fun to see how this plays out next

Civis Romanus Sum

Valmy

Well if you become immortal that won't be a problem.

Solmyr

Just make sure to get a nice wheelchair.

Valmy

Josephus

I'm not sure that I am immortal (or if you can be) because I didn' complete one of my tasks.

But that aside it is now 990. Otto is 76. He's outlived his sons so his heir now is his grandson who happens to be raving lunatic.

edit: Oh and at 77 I've just impregnated a lover. :)
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Finally died at 80 of stress. 80 years, 60 of which were spent hunting a great white stag.

It's all downhill from here. New HRE stripped my heir of all titles. I'm down to being a duke with one holding.

But I'll kill that bloody white stag.
Civis Romanus Sum

dps

Quote from: Josephus on June 04, 2019, 10:35:46 AM
As soon as I die, Germany's going to be a mess. Almost very vassal is a king of something.

That's not a problem;  when you're an emperor, you want to have mostly kings as vassals. 

QuoteMy own dynasty is not in line to the HRE (I can't do anything about it, I've tried.)

OTOH, that is a problem.  One of the big negatives of playing the HRE or the Byzantines now is that they are stuck with the new "Imperial Elective" succession law, and it's the worst of the elective succession laws when it comes to influencing the electors.