And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 01:31:52 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 07, 2019, 01:22:26 PM
So I've had this game for years, but never played it. Not sure why. But anyway ... trying to get into it now.

Should I get all, none, some DLCs?

Some are more interesting than others.  I would say depends on what kind of deal or sale you can get on them.  There's nothing wrong with starting out with just the base game.

Yeah . that's what I'm doing. Bit of a learning curve.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Decide if you like the base game before you worry about DLCs.  If you decided you like the base game, then pick and choose the DLCs to get.

Caliga

Agreed... I still don't own The Republic (or whatever it's called) or Sunset Invasion, because I just have zero interest in playing a merchant republic and as for the other one.... just no. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2019, 09:17:50 PM
Agreed... I still don't own The Republic (or whatever it's called) or Sunset Invasion, because I just have zero interest in playing a merchant republic and as for the other one.... just no. :bleeding:

Yeah the Sunset Invasion is lame as fuck. I am glad they never made any shit like that again.

"Our new expansion explores a hypothetical scenario where Tibet occupies China!!!!111"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2019, 09:30:14 AM

Yeah the Sunset Invasion is lame as fuck. I am glad they never made any shit like that again.

"Our new expansion explores a hypothetical scenario where Tibet occupies China!!!!111"

Though they did include all that animal/furry nonsense...but thankfully not a separate DLC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2019, 10:02:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2019, 09:30:14 AM

Though they did include all that animal/furry nonsense...but thankfully not a separate DLC.

I'd like to say that if they did, no one would buy it, but I don't want to lie--I'm sure it would sell pretty well.

Josephus

Yeah...still not sure about the base game. I mean, I like it conceptually. But I guess I don't understand the inheritance mechanics.

I'm playing my first game in Newbieland; ie. Munster. My goal is to unite Ireland over several generations. I was doing well, and had just recently conquered  Connacht and made it a Duchy. Not sure if that was my mistake. I had two sons. My first, stood to inherit my Munster Kingdom. My second the Duchy of Connacht. So when I died, I figured my second son would become a duke, but his realm would be part of mine. But no. Connacht is now a separate kindgom. I'm not even allied with it.

So does that mean, my dream of uniting Ireland is out. Do i have to make claims all over again over the Connacht counties and go to war with my second son? Kinda sucks.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Ireland has stupid inheritance laws where titles are divided amongst sons. I think you're dealing with petty kingdoms rather than real kingdoms there too. If you ruled Ireland then the son becoming a duke would be your vassal.
More newbie friendly is something like Naples which follow standard eldest son inherits rules.

I bought the China DLC in a recent sale and decided to play a game in India.
Mistake.
China ended up conquering half of India and wars against it are nigh-impossible, it spawns mega-armies and quickly sieges a bunch of your provinces forcing you to 100% almost right away.
Only finally started making progress when a civil war led to a lot of their land breaking free.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I guess I can change the inhertitance laws?
What's the diff between a petty kingdom and real kingdom?

Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on March 10, 2019, 05:34:56 PM
I guess I can change the inhertitance laws?
What's the diff between a petty kingdom and real kingdom?

Dukes of certain cultures if independent get called petty kings. Its how the game represents Ireland, Anglo-Saxon England, etc... whilst still representing the later situation of Ireland and England.

You can change inheritance but there are usually pretty strict requirements for it, not something you can just do from game start in most cases.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2019, 05:29:13 PM
I bought the China DLC in a recent sale and decided to play a game in India.
Mistake.
China ended up conquering half of India and wars against it are nigh-impossible, it spawns mega-armies and quickly sieges a bunch of your provinces forcing you to 100% almost right away.
Only finally started making progress when a civil war led to a lot of their land breaking free.

Ever since they introduced a million game rule settings, it has been clear the default set isn't the best.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Having played a bit with Holy Fury, the new crusade mechanics are a bit overpowered. As a top contributor in 3 crusades, I generally get about 12k in ducats everytime. Makes crusades a great way to get limitless power via merc hiring.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2019, 07:13:17 AM
Strategygamer has a DLC buying guide: https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/

Syt, thanks for that, useful reviews.

I have old gods, so I'll get way of life and give it a go, up till now I've only put about 5 hours into the game.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum